1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So...should we look at Utley?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Aug 19, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Ken Rosenthal reported that Utley may be dealt today. His contract is hefty (3y/45MM), and he's really struggled this year. However, he's really picked up his production recently.

Should we make a move for him? Plug him at 1st? I'm not really for or against this move, just curious what Astros CF thought.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

He'd be the 55 year old guy with the pony tail and the earring hanging out in Club Astros. Too creepy, do not want.

1 person likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His 3 years/$45M are vesting options based on reaching 500PAs, which he won't reach.

I'd trade Carter for him.

1 person likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

-Has 10/5 rights and can control where he goes.
    -Prefers to be closer to home on the West Coast
    -Wants regular playing time

Dodgers "moving close" to a deal.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Marwin Gonzalez is better than Utley at this point. I don't see this as anything else than making a deal just too make a deal.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Utley is hitting .484 post all-star break, albiet only in 35 ABs

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

we've talked about it a bit in the trade thread--I tried to raise this a couple of weeks ago. The issue is, who would he replace on the roster? Carter? Then who does Springer replace? And McCullers?

We have a bit of a crunch, and bringing on Utley (even at last year's numbers) doesn't warrant moving out Marwin (certainly not now), Valbuena (has legitimate value--can't just DFA him when the upgrade isn't huge), or Tucker to the minors (isn't really an upgrade)

8. juicystream

He replaces Carter. Nobody gets moved out by Springer, as rosters will be 40-man in September. As far as postseason roster goes, we leave off whoever is struggling. With Lowrie & Marwin in fold, I'd leave off Valbuena.

It will be interesting to see which pitcher(s) the team will leave off the postseason roster.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dead cow swap?

Though Utley should be able to out perform Carter's numbers.

A whole lotta meh.

10. juicystream

Basically, only thing we lose is Jim Crane's money, and Philly gets the right handed Ryan Howard.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

ESPN reporting Utley to Dodgers

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, I guess that would make sense. Is it worth giving up anything at all if the real upgrade you're making is Utley over Valbuena? Yes he's better...but by a lot? eh.

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Yeah pitching is going to be a real tough call. Keuchel, Kazmir, McCullers, McHugh, Feldman, Fiers, Velasquez, Gregerson, Neshek, Perez, Sipp, Harris, Fields have all earned the right and then there's Qualls (who's had a slight drop off but who also might have the most playoff experience/success of anyone in the pen)

Position wise I'd go Altuve, Correa, Springer, Gómez, Tucker, Lowrie, Gattis, Gonzalez, Castro, Conger, Rasmus, Marisnick and probably Valbuena too keep one infielder off the bench. Carter can travel with the team.

14. Buck Turgidson

No. I know he has a cute little name, but that is all he has. A name.