1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Orlando did the sign and trade....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DUDE, Aug 3, 2000.

1. DUDE

DUDE Member

They got Hill and McGrady in sign and trade deals.. so doesnt that mean that the salaries of the traded players had to be within 15%, and if so then they are still WAYY under the cap.
    Does this show that getting that far under the cap wasnt worth it? Couldnt they have gotten these two players even if they didnt have ANY cap room since they are trading for them anyway?
    Lots of questions from me on this one..

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

2. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i think they made alot of cap in hopes of signing duncan, they took a gamble and lost id say although tmac and grant hill should make the blow a little easier.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The salaries don't have to be within 15% when the team receiving the higher priced FA is under the cap far enough to sign them. So no, the Magic would not have been able to get either without going under the cap.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament!
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000958.html

4. DUDE

DUDE Member

Thanks Cat! I never knew that. I always wondered how some trades were happening even though the salaries clearly didnt match.

I dont know if I am reading into things too much, but on ESPNNEWS they were talking to Hill and he said something general like "When we get the other two guys here" or something like that. It made me think that Orlando still had their hands in the cookie jar and that they werent finished yet.
    If they can get Maurice from the Clippers then they have significantly upgraded their team.
    C Ameche
    PF Mo Taylor
    SF Hill
    SG Tmac
    PG Armstrong
    Very solid starting 5. I think that Armstrong and Taylor are underrated also..

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was surprised that Detroit and especially Toronto did the sign and trades. All Toronto got from it was a first-round pick. In return, McGrady gets an extra $30 million or so and Orlando gets to have him for another year. I thought Toronto was more wrathful than that. Capologists, if Toronto had been over the cap after the deal, would they have gotten a huge trade exception from it?

I think this also mean that Taylor won't be playing for Orlando. They've got (almost) no money left under the cap, so I'm sure they can't offer him more than $2.25 million. I guess he's going to Toronto. I'm not sure why they didn't sign him first, and then do a sign and trade with Detroit within 15% to get Hill.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

JV - my gut reaction to the Mo Taylor / Orl situation is that the interest is not reciprocal. Mo wants to go to Orlando, but I don't get the sense that they are particularly eager to bring in a PF who is injury-prone and a poor rebounder (unless they can sign him cheap).

------------------

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Does anybody know how cordial relations are between Chuck Daly and the Orlando mgt team?

Does O Harrington to Orlando make any sense?

He wants out of Vancouver
    Wants warm weather climate
    The Griz have Swift and TMass
    Low price contract

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!