1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So much hate the Rockets discussions as of late

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by backwardhead, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

my biggest disappointment was they didnt replace Mchale. we aint going nowhere with this free open style of offense and defense.

but I guess since the drop off of players, the next year will a adjustment season anyway. I hope Harden watch his non defense video on the internet, take that as motivations, come out playing good defense with a chip on his shoulder, and sustain it.

By this time of the next season, if we still dont have a systematic and disciplined team in place, fire Mchale.

2. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Yes, the first dominoe that needs to fall in terms of righting this ship is to fire Mchale!!

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I haven't made all of those statements, but I certainly have made a few of them and I stand by them. And BTW, it's not piling on the Rockets to say they could miss the playoffs. It's just acknowledging they had a bad offseason and play in a brutal conference. Last season, the 8th seeded Mavs won 49 games and oh BTW, they got better this sumner. So it's not unthinkable that the 9th seed this upcoming season could wind up winning 50 games and last time I checked, the Rockets won 54 this past season and got worse overall talentwise.

For the most part though, my pessimism as you put it stems from the fact that it's been nearly 2 decades of futility with this franchise. Yes, only one team can win the title every year. But the Rockets haven't come close to sniffing a championship in a very long time. Put it this way. I just turned 37 last week. Last time the Rockets made any meaningful playoff run, I was over a year away from being old enough to legally buy booze.

If I at least felt like this organization was on the right track toward returning to their winning ways, I'd express more optimism. But the fact of the matter is last season was a major disappointment. Despite the acquisition of Dwight Howard, we lost in the first round again in 6 games. For all intents and purposes given the expectations(no one other than JVG picked us to win it all, but EVERYONE expected at least a 2nd round appearance), it was a wasted season. And what happens this offseason? Never mind the disastrous Melo/Bosh pursuit and letting Parsons out of his deal a year early only to sit back and watch him bolt to a division rival. Those were bad enough. But preceding all of that was the immediate decision by the front office to bring back Kevin McHale as head coach.

So that's why I'm so frustrated. 17 years and counting of the worst postseason record in the entire NBA(other than the Raptors franchise which is merely 19 years old). A wasted 2013-14 season. A terrible 2014 offseason with 2015 looking like it's already been dismissed entirely by management with regard to competing for a title. And worst of all, the growing realization that Rockets ownership may not have a clue what it's doing in terms of putting together a contender. Unless you agree with Les and Morey that constantly pursuing big name All-Stars while dismissing the importance of a good head coach and quality role players is a formula for success.

4. calcium

calcium Member

You know, I honestly think jh13 doesn't play 'd' cos
    he is saving himself for his offensive game.

Which is fair enough if you ask me.
    Would you want him to play more defence at
    the expense of his offense going down?

I am leaning towards no but it would be nice if
    he could do both but i had to choose only one,
    I would leave things as they are.
    In fact, I would get a pg who can take some of
    the ball handling load off him.

5. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Rockets tried to have the cake and eat it too. And were left with nothing. Morey is a good GM but you guys act like he walks on water. We should focus in getting a coach that isn't a Morey puppet and develop our young players instead of hunting a 3rd star. It's a team effort out there. Not 3 on 5

6. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Cuz they are not REAL Rockets fans.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't really believe that to be the case. It was superstars or quality reserves - one or the other , not both. Morey knew this and went for it .... In hindsight , that was probably a mistake -

BUT .... This roster isn't a finished product and likely wont be until after the trade deadline.

Thing is , I don't know how big a move Morey can make with the assets he currently has (without moving Jones / PatBev) as they are ..... not hot commodities. Even the NO pick might not be all that as they did improve significantly.
    He's got to turn that Lin TPE into something tangible and get value for the MLE / BAE.
    Lots of work to be done ..... but it is Morey , I doubt he sits idle.

8. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

CP could of been had for 1 more year for about 1 million. Rockets tried to a get friendly contact AND get bosh. This whole 3rd star thing is overrated. Build a balanced team and good head coach ala spurs.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

eugh too many words there had nothing to do with Lin, 2/10 thread.

10. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

I have no problem with Harden saving his energy, but you have to balance it and play a somewhat acceptable D, standing around like a fluffy not only hurts our games, it hurts this franchise's image too.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I figured we'd beat POR and you saw how that ended. You're trying to doubt my fandom, but probably had zero problem cheering for SA. Take a hike.

12. calcium

calcium Member

Hee hee... a fluffy.

It is pretty poor, the defence.

Not sure what one can do? Cos we know he can play reasonable 'D'.

The coach can insist and if he still doesnt do it?

I dont think McH is up to benching Harden if it comes down to that.
    Not many coaches would. Maybe Popovich.

A tough job, being a coach, esp if your players dont listen.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

They don't.

Why are fans so irrational about their expectations of the Rockets?

- Fans b**** if the Rockets stay loyal to all of their non all-star role players and whine because the team will always draft 13 and never make the play-off.

- Fans b**** if the Rockets trade their role players in an attempt to acquire all-star players and field a contender because they are not being loyal to their role players, treating them like assets.

- Fans b**** if the Rockets chase superstar free agents because it makes us look desperate.

- Fans b**** if the Rockets don't chase the superstar free agents.

- Fans b**** if the Rockets think the Rockets over pay for a player.

- Fans b**** if the Rockets do not match a max contract on a player that is not even an all-star.

- Fans b**** that the Rockets have such a high turnover of role players on the roster and then come up with their own lame brain scheme to trade 5 or 6 borderline scrub players for another teams all-star caliber player. Then they get mad that Daryl Morey hasn't pulled off this obvious genius trade because clearly, every team wants to trade one of their all-star players for 5 or 6 of our players that haven't even cracked the rotation yet.

- Fans b**** that we overrate our own players and then b**** that when the Rockets trade away or don't resign those same players because they are clearly so good.

Fans are simply irrational. They don't look at progress or what you have, they only see what has not happened yet and b**** about any negative they can possibly come up with.

14. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Was there ever a lull in the complaints? Ever since I've joined I think I read more complaint threads than anything else.

This is par for the course on these forums. It's half the reason I com here :)

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks so much for this thread -- seriously.

1. Part of what you're seeing is just the nature of the internet (and really our entire culture), as of 2014. And part of it's human nature. it's just a million times easier to just whine or grouse than it is to have a balanced take or discussion.

Know that there are some fans out here who are very excited about the season (even some of the debbie downers are still going to be watching their Rox).

2. The other part of what you're seeing is just the "what have you done lately" phenomenon. Offseasons lately are times where you get a Harden or a Howard... not lose anyone and *gasp* not to sign multiple non-famous people.

3. Finally, the expectations on this board were absolutely crazy, just as crazy as some of the negativity is now. Oh, we could get Lebron *and* Melo, because, you know... sales tax and everyone wants to live here!

In the end, I have really enjoyed this offseason, and I mean that very seriously. Sure, I am disappointed about a few things (mainly McHale), but I am ready to saddle up for another season. I like the grit we've added to the bench, and I really like Ariza. And so on!

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

they are not descentant of the 99er mountain, they are like the galactic empire in star wars and true rockets fans are the rebel alliance with clutch as our giant wookie overlord

fake rockets fans drink the nofrills brand orange juice real rockets fans drink that real expensive stuff that has pulp in it

real rockets fans are the Gennady Golovkins, fake rockets fans are Borat

signed,
    -2012er

-1999er

-Wayne Gretzky

-Michael Scott

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Several factors are at play:

Following a sports teams or being a fan is unique form of entertainment. The range of emotion is much broader and more intense than going to a movie or concert. If you don't like a movie you walk out and say "that wasn't as good as I thought it would be." When your team loses a game, blows the playoffs, or screws up in the offseason the reactions are nuclear.

For the "old" fans who remember the championship owner and management team the Les Alexander era has been largely disappointing. In over twenty years, the Rockets have advanced to the second round only twice. This is a dismal record.

The revolving door of players has really affected the fan's sense of "who" the team is. The art of team building appears to be a lost art for this management team. Their heart may be in the right place, but their heads are buried in numbers. And the revolving door continues to spin. I expect Thabeet to be walking in any minute.

Fandom is a fantasy, a place where we can escape the harsh realities of a dysfunctional and corrupt culture. When our fantasy is also riddled with disappointments and dysfunction, well it isn't pretty.

2 people like this.
  18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

1. Because the minority is vocal
    2. Because people are impatient
    3. Because it is easier to point out defencies than it is to point out solutions
    4. Because people enjoy creating characters of themselves on the internet
    5. Because people tend to see things in black and white and don't recognize things don't always fall neatly into two categories

ex. I'm now labeled a harden and rocket apologist. why? because of the fact that I don't want him traded for love, believe he is the best player we have had since a healthy tracy and yao - and would like to see if he can improve upon his weaknesses next year.

Others have ignored any true viewpoint I have on the subject and immediately categorized me based on the fact that don't want him traded away for an equally pathetic player defensively (not to mention much less successful) and won't bash him relentlessly.

we create these bull**** categories of LOH/LOF - HOH/HOF. It started back in the francis days and I think some delusional people thought it was only of recent ilk and that it would go away with the trading of Lin.

In the end, I'm all for dissenting views, counter opinions and thoughtful insight. As a sarcastic *******, I even like some well timed whit. What I hate and have tried to rail against, is incessent b****ing about the same thing, cherry picking stories to back a narrative, and pushing an agenda at every moment. If your post average is more than 3/day, chances are, everyone here knows your take. No need to DD it to death.

19. baubo

baubo Member

I know the internet is geared towards negativity, but you'd be surprised at how many fans of crappy teams are happier with their teams than Rockets fans are with this team.

20. platypus

platypus Member

[​IMG]