1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So much for Battier being easily replaceable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Mar 24, 2010.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

SO PRETTY MUCH YOU WANT THE ROCKETS TO LOOK SIMILAR TO THE WARRIORS IS THAT WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY ALL ALONG?

2. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Put Shane on Harden and the Thunder do not get that big lead.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Battier makes plays in the playoffs

in the blazers series last year he hit some HUGE 3s to kill the blazers run and not to mention the play that Roy made that Hayes took the charge on.

It was Battier who came out on the switched and forced Roy left instead of his letting him go right (where Roy is much more lethal) and gave Chuck the Time to slide over and take the charge. And even if the charge/block was not called Battier blocked that shot.

Battier isnt the key of course for the teams overall success but he plays a very valuable role on this team, maybe he is overpaid for it now as people say but I would rather over pay a guy like Shane then some of the other players in the league that are even more overpaid (Maggette, eddie curry, etc)

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Shane contains superstar level talents better then most players in the NBA, that is fact.

He also apparently was indeed the glue holding together the JVG defense that have kept the team a playoff contender for so many years, along with Yao. Ariza is obviously meant to replace him as the defensive stopper (because ALL playoff teams beside those with instant HoF superstars have one), but so far, while he has been good, he hasn't been as good as Battier when Battier wasn't there with him.

I think Battier's leadership on the team is underrated. And if we do indeed lose a majority of the games he is out by double digits, it will prove, pretty much that.

Which despite my respect for Battier, is a bad thing because we are already overloaded with forwards and it will mean without a doubt Taylor will end up getting the Dorsey treatment.

6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

you're living in the past man... battier isnt containing anyone

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You arent watching the games.

Battier flat out shut down a ton of opposing players this season. He keeps this off the line and on or below thier average. Have there been a couple of times he has been lit up yes, but the majority of the time, he is doing something that not many other people can do.

Sometimes I think people just make excuses for his good performances and specifically look for the bad ones, and thats not being a fan.

When people say things like "trade him for picks" it makes my blood boil. How can people be so blind to what he brings to the team? That would be the worst thing to do.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I HOPE we can trade him for a pick. I know we won't get multiple picks for him. ;)

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i have an issue with that overall. For some reason there's this youth movement going on in the forum. So many posters want picks, youth, youngER players, trade anyone past or approaching 30, and so on. I'm not sure when being 30 became such a bad thing. I understood when we had multliple guys 30+ and it took a few games for fans to experience a dunk from the team, but now? Our team isn't old. You wont see many, if any teams winning rings with a really young core group. Even Dwade had a lot of vets around him when Miami won, he wouldnt have won it with young'ns at such a young age.

sure, we can go young and eventually those guys will be older and wiser and could compete for a ring then, but that's gonna be years from now. As much as fans want youth, i dont think they realize that means putting off long playoff runs and possible championships for a while.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is not easily replaceable,but if Yao fails to recover and if we don't get any big names through free agency or the draft,management should let his contract expire or trade him. It's no use keeping him on a team that can at best make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You are correct,but he was not successful on the road in the playoffs against the Blazers. His offensive output was below par for himself and his defense was better at home. There is no doubt that the absence of Yao has put a lot of pressure on Shane and Chuck,but if we can't make substantial gains next year,I would take Batum plus a high 2nd rounder or a low 1st rounder for Shane.He is slowing down gradually,and Chuck has struggled playing out of position. If we can get a relatively cheap upgrade for Hayes,I would give it serious consideration. There is no need to over pay anyone,although I perfectly understand your comparison between Shane and Maggette/Eddy Curry etc.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's obviously going to be one of the first to go if the "win now" experiment completely ends, but i'd like to see them go after something else than a swingman who's primarily a SF. We already have martin at SG and bud, and ariza can play the 2/3, but are primarily SFs. Martin and ariza will take up the bulk of the starting minutes and bud is solid as a back up at the 3. Unless we're getting rid of bud or ariza i'd rather go after a big or a true shooting guard as insurance for Martin.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Same old people making the same old tired arguments in favor of Battier.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And the same old people hating in their threads and posts? Is one better than the other? Prob not. Quit acting like you're above that, your battier posting percentage easily leads the forum.

15. Kwame

I'm pretty sure you have the highest Battier posting percentage on this board. You and your paranoid tendencies need to stop hounding me and following me around on this board. It seems like you have an unhealthy obsession with me. Too bad Battier can't dominate or control a game the same way I dominate and control your thoughts and emotions.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol Kwame is so predictable.

17. Kwame

You and the other Battier worshipers have transformed a role player into some type of demigod in your own minds. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry at the level of delusion. I do know that Battier, as I said a while ago, is continuing his physical decline. He is a rapidly depreciating asset with a terrible contract. His only real or should I say tangible value, lol, to this team is as an expiring contract next year.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Really? The guy who's pager goes off whenever thehre's a battier post is going to claim most of my posts are battier related?

As for "hounding", let me remind you i posted here way before you did and you're the one who made the comment about the "same old people", not I. So who's hounding who?

You even went into the morey draft trade and couldnt resist making your first, and probably your only, post about battier. You said something about morey hopefully not trading the pick for a role player. No analysis, nothing to contribute to the post, just the SAME OLD hate you always throw around about battier.

As for "obsessions", i'm not the one who has you as my sig, so who's controlling who?

19. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Hill, Jefferies, and Andersen don't guard Durant. I mean, they CAN, but Durant would make all three look foolish.

20. Kwame

You can interpret it any way you want, but that comment had nothing to do with Battier. I don't want a lottery pick wasted on a role player EVER, including the one the Rockets will likely get this season. Thus, I voiced my opinion on it. I don't see any problem with that comment unless you want the lottery pick traded for a role player, which wouldn't surprise given your dearth of basketball knowledge. For a guy averaging almost 10 posts per day, I really wish you would contribute more in terms of original thought and analysis. Your one attempt at originality consisted of a thread calling for the return of Michael Dickerson. Turrible, just turrible.