1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

so long me myself and Iverson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rickem, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Rickem

Rickem Member

having 49 points and leading by a point with seconds to play, AI has a wide open lane to score but elects to pass the ball back out to eventually run out the clock. He made a believer out of me as far as being a complete player.

Also, it looks like his boy Marbury also is a real player. He did everything to win that game, but the best player in the league came through once again. Bryant is unreal. I wonder if Shaq could be happy with Francis on his team?

------------------

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I have to disagree with you, Kobe is NOT the best player in the league. That distinction rests with Iverson, or Webber, or Duncan. Kobe is good though. Marbury has the tools to join that class as well. Those were just ridiculous games!

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

No mention of KG ? He's dominated Webber in the last couple years, and I believe he has played Duncan well. His stats aren't too shabby and he is probably the hardest player to guard on the court.

------------------
    "Roses are red. Violets are blue. I'm a schizophrenic and so am I."

4. RocksMillenium

Ooops, forgot about him! Kevin Garnett and Rasheed Wallace are two guys that can matchup unbelievably well with San Antonio. Definitely Kobe improving his scoring doesn't = best player in the league.

------------------

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

How do you not mention Shaq?

He is still playing well.

something like 27 ppg, 12 boards per game, and 2-3 blocks per game.

IMHO, A healthy payton is the most talented player in the league.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

"I wonder if Shaq could be happy with Francis on his team." ? Whats that supposed to mean? Your post sounded more like a jab at Francis than anything. I saw your comment about iverson pulling the ball out as a shot at Francis for his actions in the Philly game, even though he wasnt involed in the play.If that wasnt your intent, I apologize. As far as iverson being a complete player, I dont think he's really there. He plays good defense, and is a scoring machine, but thats it. He isnt a great passer or rebounder. Thats NOT a bad thing at all though, because he's so good at one facet of his game that he doesnt need to be great at any of the other ones.

------------------

7. Steve_Francis_rules

Iverson is a good passer and a good rebounder for his size. In order to be complete player, you don't have to be great at everything, just good at everything, which iverson is.

------------------
    Someone who is about to admonish another must realize within himself five qualities before doing so (that he may be able to say), thus:
    In due season will I speak, not out of season. In truth will I speak, not in falsehood. Gently will I speak, not harshly. To his profit will I speak, not to his loss. With kindly intent will I speak, not in anger. -from the Vinaya Pitaka

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

However they did it, Philly had enough to put it to the Lakers Wed night.

Mango

------------------
    Spring Cleaning!!!

9. Rickem

Rickem Member

No offense was made towards Francis at all. I forgot how the Rocks punked the sixers the other night. Actually I was basically proposing a trade for Bryant ...I'm wondering if Rockets fans think that would be an even trade?

Bryant and Mobley would be a not too shabby backcourt methinks. I know this may be blasphemy, but Cuttino can be as profficient as Franchise.

Francis + Shandon for Bryant

any takers?

------------------

10. Steve_Francis_rules

There is no way I would trade francis for kobe.

------------------
    Someone who is about to admonish another must realize within himself five qualities before doing so (that he may be able to say), thus:
    In due season will I speak, not out of season. In truth will I speak, not in falsehood. Gently will I speak, not harshly. To his profit will I speak, not to his loss. With kindly intent will I speak, not in anger. -from the Vinaya Pitaka

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Oh great, a Kobe-Cat backcourt. Who would pass the ball ... ever?

Why not throw Stackhouse and Vince Carter on the team while you're at it?

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

12. tacoma park legend

NO way I trade Francis for Bryant. You can argue all you want that Kobe is a better player blah blah blah and all that other crap, but I think Francis can carry a team just as well, if not better than Kobe. Maybe I'm biassed, so be it, I should be since he plays for the rockets. Also, no way Cuttino can run the point effectively. Are you trying to tell me that Cuttino would be subservient to playing a position where he wouldn't shoot as much?

------------------

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade Francis for any other player in the league. Especially not for Kobe. I can't stand that cocky moron...

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

14. Rickem

Rickem Member

I still don't see how ya'll can hate on a baller with that much game thats only 22. You can't say Franchise doesn't have that same swagger.

I realize everyone is looking through Houston point of view, but no one can seriously say Bryant isn't AS good as Steve.

But thinking about it more, I realize the Mobley-Francis duo is too good to break up any time soon.

------------------

15. tacoma park legend

I'm not hating on him, I know he's a very good player, I just think he's become too content with himself. He figures," I already got my ring, now I want an MVP and scoring title." He just wouldnt be a good fit in Houston. Bottom line, steve francis does more for the rockets than Kobe Bryant does for the lakers.

------------------

16. RocksMillenium

Nobody is hating Kobe, but Francis is just as talented as Kobe, look at that stats. I would rather have a franchise PG over a franchise SG, but think about it, if it wasn't for Shaq, the MVP of the league and one of the best players in the last 2 years, Kobe probably doesn't get out of the first round! Definitely there is no way that I give the Lakers a quality 2-guard, and franchise PG for a Kobe Bryant.

------------------

17. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Hey, I am hating on Kobe Bryant!

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

18. Steve_Francis_rules

I definitely can't stand Kobe, he comes across as such a pompous jerk.

------------------