1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Les Alexander doesn't want to tank because he wants fans in the seats ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jan 14, 2012.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Last night 12k fans showed up to the rockets game. Considering it is the beginning of the season and most fans think this team is playing to win that is an inferior turnout for a friday night ?

Do you really think that the attendance drop off would be catastrophic if we tank ? I mean lets say tomorrow the rockets traded K-Mart for draft picks.......do u really think that fans would think, "F that i'm not gonna go cuz K-mart is gone". I highly doubt it. The interest in this team is already minimal and friday night proved it. Sure the attendance might drop off by a few hundred or even a thousand but at the end of the day it isn't like some ridiculous drop off. Maybe Les truly is just a guy that hates to lose and it isn't about the money ? Whatever the reason is Morey needs to sit him down and explain to him that the best path for future success is to suck in the near future.

2. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

We can't win (or only be a serious contender) until we have a star, or a superstar.
    Who are the last stars in our uniform ?
    Via a trade, Mc Grady is the only one for me, Drexler, Barkley and Pippen were at the end of their carreer (less Clyde when we won a title).
    The others stars were drafted: Olajuwon, Francis (trade with Vancouver) and Yao.
    We won't bring a superstar via a trade. It's sad but it's the reality.
    We don't have in our roster this type of player.
    The only way for us to have a star (or better a superstar) is to draft him and wish he will become our franchise player (we have not already because Lowry and Scola are not).
    The coming draft could bring us players like Davis, Drummond or Barnes.
    We have a choice to make: continuing to be an average player or sacrifying a season to have a better chance to win.

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You are wrong, Lowry is a star that's easy to see.

4. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I think last night was probably an aberration. This team will draw more as their record improves due to weaker opponents. The Rockets have had THE toughest schedule thus far in the league and once things even out they will be right there in the hunt for the 7th or 8th seed.

Anyone ever check out Sagarin's ratings? The Rocket's are solidly in the 8th spot in his rankings. Over time that is going to be where we end up and personally I am fine with that. Hopefully we make some noise in the playoffs this year.

5. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

Toyota Center will be pack next year period, in Morey we trust....... or maybe after march 15 ;)

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Les said he doesn't want to tank for his own sanity and I believe him. He seems the kind to be upset watching his team suck.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Les gave an interview a few weeks ago and basically said that he is now in his 70's and he desperately wants to win another title. I don't think attendance is his concern. I suspect he will ultimately agree to rebuild.

1 person likes this.
  8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

If he's desparate and attendance isn't his concern then he should have already agreed to rebuild after Yao retired. Maybe he secretly has behind closed doors, but I suspect that's to the case (Pau trade attempt). Maybe he comes around to the idea by the trade deadline.

If we don't trade some guys for a superstar we need to trade them for the chance on draft night to pick up our own future superstar.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Les has been running a game on Rocket's fans for a long time, carrot on a stick. The carrot has fallen off and the stick is bent. You can only tempt fans with "possibilities" for so long, eventually you have to produce a real carrot. Like the Purpose Driven Church, marketing can take you only so far. At some point even dancing girls won't draw them in.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Houston has Texans fever right now. And a 3-7 record didn't help the Rockets either.

11. joesr

joesr Member

Well if there was ever a season to rebuild its this one. Sad thing is if we don't act now, other teams will beat us to the punch, quite sure us Rocket fans aren't the only who see's this.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I guess you've been under a rock this season because Lowry has been fantastic.

13. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

Lowry is an excellent player, but i don't think he is or will become a star, a franchise player.
    He can be the PG of a champion team, but a team need more to win a title. And we don't have this kind of player in our roster and we won't trade him because we aren't able ton bring a Howard for example.
    Only the draft can bring him.

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

There is already a thread about this on the first page. Aspire to more.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I agree, its plain as daylight.

16. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

we are 4-7 now :p

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Only the draft? That's a lie and you know it. Howard's are rare to find even in a loaded draft.

18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Sadly, I'm hoping for dwindling attendance and a poor early record to push Les into tank -- errr, develop the youngsters -- mode.

If nobody is there to see the Rockets suck, perhaps it doesn't matter that they suck. (like the tree falling in the forest but nobody sees).

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Your analysis contains its own refutation.

The Rockets, without tanking, brought in Francis via a trade. That is exactly one of the types of trades that Morey is still pursuing, and which could turn the team around. That is why he kept inquiring about Rubio the last few years, and why I am sure he was the first to get the Kings on the phone regarding Cousins.

The problem the Rockets have is not that their non-tanking strategy for acquiring a star is inherently impossible (again, Francis), but that they have built too much redundancy into their roster and have thus lowered the trade value of their players by burying them in the depth chart and giving them no playing time. The Rockets have to start sacrificing overall payer value in the name of a balanced roster, otherwise all that acquired value is going to depreciate...as we are seeing.

For instance, Martin could be given away for a future protected 1st rounder and, though he was given away below his value, the Rockets would still come out ahead considering the increased value it would give to those on the roster who would take over his minutes.

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

As in protected you mean top 5........i hope not something like lottery protected. A guy that just last year avg 23 ppg I would think would command something more than peanuts.