1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I've decided to finally pop the question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Nov 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Some backstory:

Been dating this girl for 6 years, have lived together for over a year now. We've been with each other through our lows and our highs and I believe I'm finally ready (as if anyone is ever ready).

Looking for some general advice on where to shop for rings and any bargaining tips, if it even applies to this. I have a specific date in mind and would like to do it by then (within a month). So I guess I need to start looking now and fast.

Maybe some stories on how you guys decided to propose, how long it took, etc.

1 person likes this.
  2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

4. thejav

thejav Member

Put the ring around your wang..she will have something to be pleasantly surprised about next time she goes down on you..

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Do you have a good career?

If so, pre nup. If not, focus on that first not marriage.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

DO NOT go to Robbins Brothers. I went in ignorant as f*** and they robbed me blind. The rings are nice, but I paid WAY too much because I didn't know what I was doing. Easily the worst financial decision I have ever made.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It took me 11 years and 3 kids to get married.

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'd like to think so. Master's Degree. Soon to be CPA within the next year. We aren't hurting for money.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If you're already living together, then essentially, your money is her money and vice-versa, making it a rational necessity to have a conversation about the industry of marriage and how much you want to spend on rings, the dress, the ceremony, etc. Mrs. rimrocker opted for a simple ring and we chose a low-key ceremony that we could handle financially (in part because we didn't want either set of parents making demands). Probably the greatest threat to a new marriage are money woes and debt issues, so think carefully about big expenses and remember that how much you spend on a wedding has no correlation to how long the marriage will last.

(I surprised Mrs. rimrocker on our 20th Anniversary with a new engagement ring.)

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

We have talked about it, actually. Nice simple ring and we actually both prefer a small ceremony. I really don't mind her parents being involved if it saves me some cash though! :grin:

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bro just learn about the 4 C's.

http://www.bluenile.com/education/diamonds

After you learn, go check out different places like Tiffany's, Robbins Brothers, Zales, Kay Jewelers, etc just to get an idea of the difference in quality of the diamonds. It is important that you do not get suckered by any of these people, even if you find a ring you like.

You'll quickly realize what a load of **** all these stores are charging you. Tiffany's you only find higher end diamonds while Zales and Kay's give you lower type ****, Robbins is mostly mid to high, while Jared's is about low to mid although you can get a good rock there as well. Anyways, every single one of these stores is overpriced, so do not buy here. By the way, if you like a band, make sure you jot it down, meaning the price so you can find it online.

Next find an independent jeweler that is willing to sell you the diamonds separately and can make you the band you like. I was able to get a really nice ring for about half the price I would of paid at tiffany's, with stones that are pretty close to tiffany's. I found the band I wanted at Robbins Brothers but they wanted to charge me a butt load for that as well, so I took a picture of it to an independent jeweler.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I still feel like I overpaid.

http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/45768546804/diamonds-are-bull****

Anyways, hope that helps a bit. I used Shaw's Jewelers on Montrose/Gray.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Good luck breh! Don't worry bout that prenup stuff. Real couples who trust one another need not worry about those things.

13. Nook

Nook Member

No...

OP you are the man... You are asking her (not the other way around).... You decide on the cost and size of the ring... You pay it off... You can ask her best friend or friends for what she likes... But don't go beta and have her pick out the ring with you, that destroys the surprise. She will appreciate that you put the time and effort into it and surprised her.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Don't forget the three rings of marriage. The engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering. You've been warned.

16. Asian Sensation

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Are kids in the future?

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Go to Jared. You can get a decent ring for $2,500

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Do it at a Rockets game in front of James Harden at a Rockets game, that way he'll realize that he's making a huge mistake with Khloe Kardashian and settle down with a good hard working woman.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

smh. Sorry bruh.

Seriously though, no matter how uncomfortable you may think the conversation will be...

Pre nup. Just trust me on this.