1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So is it just me or we aren't as deep as they say?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swapshop, Oct 10, 2019.

1. alethios

alethios Member

So you're saying his game will blossom?

D-rock and Williamson like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS. That is exactly what they need.

This whole thing with depth though, needs to be looked at in 2 ways.
    1) Regular season depth.
    2) Playoff season depth.

Guys like Anderson, Green, McLemore are fine for the regular season. But they are basically unplayable in the playoffs in high stakes games. Rockets need to add another *playoff season* type depth piece. Preferably that solid 3/5 wing.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Well, we have 5 actual NBA players who can (collectively) play all 5 positions in Rivers, Green, House, Sefolosha, and Chandler. None of them is going to set the league on fire, but I trust them to be playable in any given game.

Clark/McLemore/Clemons are not going to be counted on for real minutes and I wouldn't consider them part of our "depth", they're just wildcards who are willing to be here without guaranteed minutes. Without promising players minutes you don't get good players, you get (at best) guys who can tread water for a week or two but will eventually be exposed. I'd expect any of those three to be exposed quickly if they have to go against NBA rotation guys.

It's definitely not the league's best bench, but what do you expect with our starting lineup's payroll?

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. MadRox

MadRox Member

Get Iggy during season and we'll have another playoff tested bench player

5. bratna8

bratna8 Member

October 11, 2019 not May 2020...

Not worried about depth right now

6. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

who is this "they"??!

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Not as unpopular opinion as you think.

We have a decent core. It is still preseason but it just looks like none of our wings can pass or hold onto the ball and make the right play. By none I mean none of our bench guys. So at the wing we have Tucker, Thabo and hopefully House but House hasn't been good but he was last year for us before he had to go back to G-league.

8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Tyson chandler might do something but then again he probably won't.

house needs to put up numbers like jerekbo in golden state then rockets can be deep.

If hartenstein gets signed and consistently adds change of pace production then rockets might be deep.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It all depends on how successful our small ball is

If our 6’4-6’6 guys can match up with bigger forwards and even be pesky to centers then we have a chance to be very deep

I think the addition of a dynamic guard like west, it makes playing smaller quicker players a bit more advantageous , especially if they can shoot.

I’m not going to say that guys like Clemons and Maclemore are going to play frequently, but if one of our guards goes down can they step in ? Better yet, if one of our bigger players has to rest can harden man the 4 and can we take advantage of pushing the pace ?

If we can get playing fast we will just our offense teams during the regular season. Our defense could be OK too , I think Clint will be better this year . At least chandler is a vet and hartenstein will either have his last chance or get cut.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gary Clark looks very good when there are better players on the court next to him. He has really only run with the reserves this preseason so far. In a case of him playing , it’s gonna be with a rotation guy out .

Danuel house just started his preseason , along with westy. Those guys are gonna take some time gel with everyone fully , and our style is gonna change. I expect to see a team that is much more varied is the different modes it can bust out.

Getting contained to the halfcourt is a problem , but that’s more of a worry for the playoffs and we have plenty of time to see how things are working .

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

There is a difference between season deep and playoffs deep. I believe we are season deep. Playoffs deep though? Probably not.

11. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Looking at Westbrook's stats from previous postseason games is starting to scare me. Most of the time, he had the highest negative plus/minus out of the starters. Maybe it's just easy to gameplan against him in the Playoffs.

12. fattz

fattz Member

I still believe a key price to our team is undervalued on another roster at the moment. He may be cut from a team. In a few weeks we will pick up a “random player” that most want even notice. Their trash is our treasure—> a power forward / glue-guy will make all the difference. He doesn’t have to be a household name, just filling the role will make us better. Tucker needs help and less regular season minutes.

D-rock likes this.