1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So is it just me or we aren't as deep as they say?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swapshop, Oct 10, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lol I’m surprised that people are surprised by this...it’s well known

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

This is a jet lagged team at preseason game #3.

We are a deep team.

Gray_Jay and don grahamleone like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Every year we watch a few guys perform well in preseason (or on previous teams) and assume we're deep. Somehow, 3-5 guys will disappoint us.

I miss the depth we had in 08-09. That was insane... but then of course Mac, Yao and Mutombo all died, as if fate said "I'll see your depth and raise you 3 major injuries at the last moment."

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Remember when we were playing Ennis and Melo?

MC31B, Patience and Gray_Jay like this.
  5. BonziWellsGOAT

Oh no someone accidentally posted lmao I caught my mistake btw. Check the other comment

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

We are deep but old. Need to manage their minutes wisely or else their bodies won’t hold long.

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trade for Josh Jackson and Bruno. Those 2 plus Spalding would be switch D and lob beasts.

Harden and Westbrook can carry scoring load. Replace one with EGo when one of two need rest.

Being stocked with vets does not make team playoff proof if vets are over worked and useless in postseason. Need to monitor our older guys minutes like PJ, Tyson, Thabo and even Ryno (Nene too if he actually plays).

That means Rockets need to add younger, longer, hungrier athletic complementary players to run with Harden, WB, EGo and Rivers during regular season.

#27 D-rock, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    fattz likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It looks to me like we need a different system when Harden and Westbrook are out of the game. Either that or the backups need to just trust in D'Antoni's system. It'll work for them, but they have to be way more confident.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The 08-09 depth seemed good until the playoffs. Really and truly it's about the depth stepping up to the moment. We have the talent, but we need confident playmakers out there. Hopefully we'll start showing signs of stepping up soon.

10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Well in theory we should always have Harden or Westbrook in the game at any given time if need be. Thabo looked like he belonged. I looked up his stats and I am wondering why Utah didn't play him more last season. Is he actually just not that great or what? To me he looked like he wasn't confused. The rest of our wings seem like turn over machines. Also we need to get Westbrook from chucking threes. If we can get him to do what he does best he will be very nice.

I think the team is better than last years but as we keep seeing in the playoffs we can only play like 8 man rotation and no matter how good the players are they will wear down. Last year versus GSW both teams looked exhausted. When Durant got hurt they pulled away and beat us pretty easily not because they are better without Durant but because Kerr started playing a lot more fresh guys which made the difference.

11. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

*Unpopular Opinion*

We need playmaking 4 or 5. A Less expensive Kevin Love, Marc Gasol type.

A BIG who can pass to a cutting Westbrook or Gordon would take so much pressure off James.

12. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I know we joke about D-MO but his skill set would really help.

13. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Russ should not be shooting threes. He should be running a spread offense attacking the rim either finishing or kicking out to shooters.

14. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

I get a feeling Dmo May get another chance with the Rockets once the CBA season ends ;)

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Completely out of the system, nope.

16. TilmanFinancialWindfall

What?

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Who said we were deep? Its Harden Westbrook and the same scrubs from last year.

#37 SF3isBack!!, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're still deep enough.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

alethios and Dankstronaut like this.
  20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

From John Hollinger's division previews at The Athletic:

It's easy to compare Rockets bench to last year and think the bench is pretty good by comparison, but then you look at other teams and its less clear. On the other hand, there is SOME reason for optimism: our bench has unproven talent, not creaky old veterans, maybe someone will prove themselves! Also, bench matters less in the playoffs. And lastly: Even Hollinger picks Rockets as number 1 in the west.