1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So if another trade is going to happen, would it have to happen before Saturday?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jun 29, 2017.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I thought I heard that the non-guaranteed players that Morey picked up were most likely picked up to be used in a trade, and those contracts aren't useful in a trade when the new CBA kicks in on Saturday?

Is that correct? So if there is no trade by the end of the day tomorrow, our core roster is set and it's now about finding free agent role players?

2. PatBev

PatBev Member

Hope so, my body can't handle the wait anymore

Pen15clubber and Yung-T like this.
  3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I thought most of those players he picked up were sent to the clippers for CP3... I could be wrong though..

4. bmd

bmd Member

Not all of them. I believe there are 3 who were not sent and the speculation is they were acquired for a future trade.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. MaliciousMonkey

Miss you already PatBev :(

Pen15clubber and napalm06 like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It would be crazy if something else big happens today.

craguin likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

no nono.
    It's if their contracts are written under the new CBA. Those players have contracts under the last CBA so we don't have an issue.
    on 7/7 though Kelly's contract becomes guaranteed so if he has to be included , it has to be happen by then. But doubtful we will gonna need Kelly's salary THAT much to rush a trade.

THe most important is our trading partners like Orlando or Indiana to have finished their moves in FA. And that will depend basically on Hayward.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think they're still useful after the new cba starts since they were signed with the old cba.

And all of those contracts are unguaranteed for months basically, aside for Kelly which becomes guaranteed the 7th of July.

EDIT: beaten

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There seem to be a couple of dates that matter.

1. Whenever the new cap season starts. I think that's midnight Friday, but maybe that's not exactly it.

2. The date Ryan Kelly's n'gtd contract becomes g'td, which is apparently July 7th.

I don't really anticipate another move this cap year. I think what is more likely to happen is the first wave of FA will play out, there will be a better feel for which players might be going where, and sometime around the 5th/6th DM will know what he can maybe get.

Like I'm sure he's tried to get PG13 already... but seems like Indy is waiting on Boston... and Boston is waiting on a Hayward decision. Indy is willing to wait because they know Houston will be there, and if not Houston they can accept a package from Lakers that they might not think is enough now but isn't that bad.

Similarly, we'll have a better feel in a week if Melo might be bought out, if Millsap has any interest, if Ryno can really be moved in a deal, etc, etc.

Also, all the ngt'd contracts bulk up in value in the next cap year. Eg. Ryan Kelly's contract is $287k this year, but jumps to $1.6 million for the next cap season, but not guaranteed. But I believe that's how you get to the $8-$11 million number that's been bandied about as the Rockets total n'gtd contracts theyd have.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't think so. I think whatever trades are going to happen will happen after Monday or on Tuesday when all the big fish have made their choices and THAT will set the Market on Ryan Anderson.

Everyone is saying Ryan has zero value but we won't know that until Free agents start signing. If some mediocre 3 point shooting big like Irsan gets paid $60 million over 4 years. Anderson's value is going to go up.

This free agency period will be all about the Rockets bringing Harden, CP3 and MDA to meetings trying to convince vet players to take less to take less to win a ring.