1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I fractured my foot over the summer and it's been giving me problems recently.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldfanofTmac, Mar 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

tldr - Avulsion fracture 8 months ago. I just started a security job a few months ago that requires a good amount of walking. Throughout the day, I would occasionally feel a sharp pain in the area where I fractured my foot. It would go away immediately though. So I'm wondering if this is normal / this is a long recovery, or if something is wrong. Yes I've made an appointment to see an orthopedic again. To clarify, I can still walk perfectly fine (with the occasional pain 'hiccup') and play basketball / run at full speed.

About 8 months ago, I got an avulsion fracture on my right foot because someone dived at the ball during a baskeball game which made me twist my ankle/foot severely.

Xrays were done and I was shown that a very tiny piece of my bone on the right side of my right foot was chipped off - which is what an avulsion fracture is. No surgery was required/recommended. I saw an orthopedic a few weeks after and he said the same thing - that it'd heal on it's own.

I was able to walk pretty comfortably after a few weeks, and even started playing basketball within a month. Of course I wasn't going all out because I couldn't move that well. Nevertheless, as time went on my foot went back to normal.

Here's the problem though - I just started a security job a few months ago that requires a good amount of walking. Throughout the day, I would occasionally feel a sharp pain in the area where I fractured my foot. It would go away immediately though. So I'm wondering if this is normal / this is a long recovery, or if something is wrong. Yes I've made an appointment to see an orthopedic again. To clarify, I can still walk perfectly fine (with the occasional pain 'hiccup') and play basketball / run at full speed.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've fractured my foot years ago and it still acts up. My doctor was thinking I might have gout but not displaying other symptoms. At this point I think it's just chronic with every few months my right foot will swell and I will get a throbbing ache where the damage was.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sorry to diverge but how could you possibly have gout without reduced kidney function and high uric acid? Did he just give you a blood test and then say "Nope not that"?

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know much about gout so I don't have much to add. He thought the location of and type of pain was similar to gout but since the joint wasn't warm and there weren't other symptoms he wasn't sure. Didn't do a blood test so while he considered it a possibility he might've ruled out doing a blood test without more signs. To be on the safe side he did recommend drinking raw cherry juice and it did seem to help but I don't know if that is just placebo affect.

5. hvic

hvic Member

Cherry juice helps filter out uric acid that builds up in your body

6. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

A nice pair of custom functional orthotics with arch support will help you deal with the occasional pain and the good amount of walking you have to do for your job.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'll echo the above about the custom orthotics.

And I'll also add--I've had multiple avulsion fractures in my hands. It's different certainly without all the weight your feet bear, but I certainly remember feeling that spot have some sharp pain periodically for ~1 year. After that, it slowed down...but there are still times when I'll feel those areas hurt for a few days at a time. The way it was explained to me, the healing of the affected part involves a buildup of a lot of scar tissue in an area with a lot of movement (a joint in the hand or foot in our cases)...so sometimes movement can break that scar tissue up and cause some pain. (I'm sure there are other reasons and maybe that's not completely accurate, but it's acceptable to me.) :)