1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I called Sheila Jackson Lee and Culbertson re Syria

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Culbertson is sadly my rep and his office said he will vote "no". Sheila's office (and she has been my rep, in the past) would not give me an answer and acted nervous.

Now normally Culbertson never met a juicy weapon system or war he didn't love, and Sheila would vote "no" if it wasn't pushed for by Obama.

I think it is ridiculous to vote to kill Syrians based on petty Dems vs GOP concerns.

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Props for calling. If you gave them any contact information, expect to receive a form letter mailed to you thanking you for your concern. One time, I actually called Ron Paul to discuss some questions I had about his policies. He wasn't in the office that day, but he did personally call me back. I ended up speaking with him for over an hour in a scholarly matter regarding his views on economics and foreign policy. Pretty nifty.

1 person likes this.
  3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is one nstance in which the GOP reaction to oppose anything Obama asks for will come in handy. Asserting ourselves into a military situation in Syria is not a good idea. I know the President says there would be no troop involvement, but that sounds a lot like saying we will not engage in nation building.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I should call and tell them I'm undecided.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I have never called my representative (Ted Poe) but I have emailed him - numerous times. I have emailed him on the Syria issue and let my feelings be known.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's pretty cool. Wish you would share more of the conversation....that is, unless he said, "Look, don't repeat this," which I doubt he did.

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Ted Poe is voting No and Gene Greene is still undecided.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

It was a very long conversation, so going in depth would be like writing a novel. In short, we discussed a priori versus a posteriori reasoning in Economics (I was concerned about the Austrian School's reliance on a priori statements to justify their point of view), general foreign policy, physical health and wellness, bias in higher education and political activism and organization. It was an excellent conversation, and it wasn't entirely political. When we discussed health and education, for example, he gave me some excellent advice on being a good student and about being healthy.

9. treeman

treeman Member

I've met Paul before, he is actually a very nice and classy guy. I'm not a supporter of his, but he is not shy about talking issues with constituents and will do it without reservation. I'd never want the man to be POTUS, but I respect him anyway.

I've also talked to Ted Poe, he is also a class act. He'll listen.

SJL used to be my rep. She is a monster. Absolutely atrocious person, by all reports one of the worst reps to work for. When I worked at the airport her nickname was "Queen Sheila", as she seemed to think herself royalty and entitled to special perks. She was ridiculously rude to everyone around her, and treated everyone like they should serve her. She's an embarrassment to the city of Houston and to the Congress; she's Houston's Cynthia McKinney, only on steroids.

She is one of the reasons I moved away from Houston. Low on the list, but still, one of the reasons. Good luck getting her to actually listen. I doubt she feels any need to actually read or listen to constituents' comments and opinions.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Cool story. I bet when he called you were like, woah!

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah; no subtext there.

12. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

In short, yes! I was fairly surprised, especially given the exact circumstances of the situation I was in when he called! Of course, I quickly excused myself and ended up having that great conversation, which I'll surely remember for many many years.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have contacted my U.S. Rep and Senator; Vote NO! This is beyond politics here; it is a civil war with bad guys on both sides. Stay out!