1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So far, Kevin Mchale has been the coach of the year.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyT43, Dec 12, 2014.

1. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Going back to last year(especially the playoffs) I was convinced Kevin Mchale was the root of all evil for anything bad that befell the rockets. Sitting at 17-5 through an injury plagued season, the guy has to get the credit:

1.this team has made a huge turn around on defense. Some credit also goes to Daryl Morey for bringing in some acquisitions in free agency, but McHale and this coaching staff saw the need for change and effectively revamped their defense. The odd thing is, the defense continues to be effective no matter who we throw out on the floor, and that can be attributed to scheme

2.He understands there is a flow of a game. The ball movement and play calling has looked infinitely better, but we are not just one dimensional. As we saw last night, Mchale also understands he has the best offensive player in the game in James harden and that sometimes the best move is to let him improvise. Mchale often let harden ball dominate most of the games last year, but this year he has reigned in when he wants plays vs. harden improv.

3. Team morale, hustle and communication. To weather a storm like the rockets have faced takes trust and accountability from the guys on the floor. These guys all really bust their butts in a limited rotation and also seem to like each other. I believe it's a product of Mchale letting his guys have fun and be individuals.

As the title states, he has my vote for COY SO FAR. The coaching staff as a whole looks improved, but if Mchale gets all the blame, he also gets the praise on the flip side.

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

He's definitely turned it around after that disastrous coaching job in the 1st round against Portland last season. He really hasn't done anything wrong so far this season BESIDES playing Tarik Black over Donatas Motiejunas down the stretch of that Lakers game, which resulted in a loss.

But you know the old rhetoric. McHale's chances of winning CoTY is just as likely as James Harden winning the MVP. Not Houston.

I'd say Kerr and Curry are the front-runners thus far.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is how I like to describe it to people... If I didn't know better, I'd put McHale right up there for Coach of the Year.

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

This team has a swagger about them, a toughness. I think glue guys like Terry and Garcia bring that. They may not be the best players, but they complement the best players. I think the locker room is a lot stronger, tighter. I love this team.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Kerr is the frontrunner, but McHale's gotta be near the top of the list if people are being objective. He's been dealt a horrible hand with injuries, never mind the roster not exactly shaping up the way Morey had planned heading into the offseason. Remember, a lot of experts predicted the team would wind up one of the lower seeds(which could still happen given the insane number of good teams in the conference), but here we are at 17-5 and tied for the 3rd best record in the league.

Anyone who's followed the Fire McHale thread knows I've been very critical of the guy, but he's done as well as any coach could have under the circumstances.

6. haydenfisher342

i dont know guys last night, having james post up 10 times in a row with half of them being turn overs doesnt seem very smart to me.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well the good news is Dwight will be back tomorrow night. So we can go back to posting him up and turning it over half the time.:grin:

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Whoever is responsible for the defensive improvement should be coach of the year. I have my doubts that it's McHale. Also, I can't decide if he deserves credit or not for finally putting DMo in the post when it appears that it is only happening now because they had no other choice.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

He is doing well so far, I am confused for the difference of his coaching between this year and last year, but glad to see the improvement of his coaching.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I think he's done a much better job this season. Last night I was a little confused why he shortened the bench up even more in the first half especially when everyone was gassed from the night before.

Johnson and Daniels needed to get some run in the first half because they should have been fresher than harden and Terry. When they did play in the second half they provided a good spark.

Glad it worked out in the end. It was a great win.

11. Zbed

Zbed Member

He only had 2 turnovers last night

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I've been a pretty consistent hater, but one thing I could never deny is that the man loves the game of basketball and that he works tirelessly to improve his methods. He hasn't been perfect this year, but he's doing a great job of trusting his Assistants and at this point I'm very pleased with the job he has done.

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

He look OK.

(That's quite an admission from me, I couldn't stand the guy last year)

1 person likes this.
  14. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

In an interview, Mchale gives alot of credit to Bickerstaff for coming up with the new scheme. However, Mchale ultimately has the final say as head coach, and the move to trust Bickerstaff is another sign of how good of a job he's doing. Being a good leader does not necessarily mean you are the mastermind behind everything; being a good leader is having the trust and confidence to give up some power and decision making for the best interest of the team.

15. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Basically you have no problem blaming him for everything, and are trying your hardest to not give him credit for anything. Got it.

16. haydenfisher342

did you know that a failed entry pass to james harden isnt considered a turn over on James Harden? crazy huh, who would of known

17. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Are you trolling? I cant tell. You have been a scetchy poster lately.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

How about neither...:eek:

There is plenty of blame/praise to go around.

2 people like this.
  19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

And the point is that you actually do not know better.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How about the people who blame morey for "MoreyBall" make a thread that they were wrong about the Rockets needing midrange. Rockets take the least midrange and most 3's and win games they shouldn't be winning.

1 person likes this.