1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So does this mean Deke is gonna be with us next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ToothYanker, Jan 11, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Deke's been playing out of his mind. The guy is absolutely insane! At this point, I wouldn't mind having him postpone retirement and stay a Rocket for the 07/08 season. He's obviously still got a lot in the tank. Can the Rockets organization convince him to stay longer? What say you fellow Clutch bbsers?

2. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

i read somewhere he'll be reviewing his retirement options around all star break time...and with yao out...he's beening getting a lot more minutes and making the most of as an unbelievable rebounder...so i think he might bow out on a high...

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

if deke retires, fire clyde and hire deke as the color commentator next to bill

4. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Are you sure you want to do that? You know some people might get seisure listening to cookie monster's voice during the game.

5. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

my deke in the box?

6. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I second that!

7. Highwire

Highwire Member

might as well use a cricket, it will sound the same.

8. MONON

MONON Member

We keep Deke as long as he wants to play!!!

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I have no problem bringing him back if he's interested. I still think the Rockets need to start grooming a younger backup for Yao though. You can't always count on Deke to put up these kinds of numbers should Yao get injured again.

10. fa7999

fa7999 Member

He is playing like that the best defensive center and the 2rd best center in the Western conference right now.

Deke and Howard, including Battier's solid play is the main reason (besides TMac) that we are in this position after Yao went down.

11. stangend77

stangend77 Member

i have heard that he has spoken about the fact that he wanted to play one more year possibly.........lets hope so, right now i dont think anyone can argue he is the best backup center in the league. GO DEKE!

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Who is the best rebounder in NBA now? a 57 year-old Mutombo!

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How good is Deke rebounding right now? Currently, his rebound-rate is 24.7, and he's played 458 minutes.

Since 1978, here are the top seasons in rebound-rate for players who've played at least 450 minutes:

Top Rebound-Rate Seasons, at least 450 minutes played

Only one player has had a better rebound rate than what Deke is currently giving us, and that player is Dennis Rodman.

14. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I can only imagine how tough to play at center postion about 10-15 years ago.

Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem, Deke, Morning, Ewing... Holy Cow! :eek:

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Well looking deeply at this subject, one could say that the early part of this season Mutombo has only been contributing in a half hearted manner. So if he keeps up his effort, then I would certainly want him back next season. If after the reurn of Yao he returns to the old washed out scrub frame of mind then I would be looking for a replacement. I know this is a cold way of looking at the situation but team selection should be made on performance and not on emotion.