1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So-called President Trump's historically awful first 100 days (Sad!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Apr 28, 2017.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Donald Trump’s First 100 Days: The Worst on Record

Franklin D. Roosevelt invented the idea of a president’s first 100 days. Roosevelt was actually referring to the first 100 days of a special Congressional session to fight the Great Depression, as Robert Speel of Penn State notes. But the idea soon came to mean the 100 days that start on Jan. 20 and that, for President Trump, will end on Saturday.

No doubt, you’ve seen a torrent of coverage in recent days of the milestone. And while it’s certainly an arbitrary milestone, it’s also a meaningful one. Presidents are at their most influential in their early months, which makes that period a particularly important one for a presidency.

Here’s my reading of Trump’s start: It’s the least successful first 100 days since the concept existed.

Even if you forget about the content of his actions — whether they strengthened or weakened the country — and focus only on how much he accomplished, it’s a poor beginning. His supporters deserve to be disappointed, and his opponents should be cheered by how unsuccessful his agenda has been so far.

Before now, the weakest starts probably belonged to Bill Clinton and to John F. Kennedy. Partly as a result, neither of them ended up being as consequential presidents as, say, Lyndon B. Johnson, Ronald Reagan or Barack Obama. And yet Trump’s first 100 days have been vastly weaker than Clinton’s or Kennedy’s:

Trump has made no significant progress on any major legislation. His health care bill is a zombie. His border wall is stalled. He’s only now releasing basic principles of a tax plan. Even his executive order on immigration is tied up in the courts. By contrast, George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan had made substantial progress toward passing tax cuts, and Barack Obama had passed, among other things, a huge stimulus bill that also addressed education and climate policy.

Trump is far behind staffing his administration. Trump has made a mere 50 nominations to fill the top 553 positions of the executive branch, as of Friday. That’s right: He hasn’t even nominated anyone for 90 percent of its top jobs. The average president since 1989 had nominated twice as many, according to the Partnership for Public Service.

Part of the reason is a lack of execution: The administration has been slow to make nominations. And part of the reason is who is being nominated: A disproportionate number of affluent investors and business executives with many potential conflicts of interest that require vetting. Either way, the effects are real. The executive branch can’t push through the president’s priorities if it doesn’t have his people in place.

The Trump administration is more nagged by scandal than any previous administration. No new administration has dealt with a potential scandal anywhere near as large or as distracting as the Russia investigation. It could recede over time, true. But it also could come to dominate the Trump presidency.

Trump has no clear foreign policy. Is he protectionist, as he appeared to be when starting a trade spat with Canada on Tuesday, or a globalist, as he appeared when backing off his criticism of China? Is he an isolationist, an interventionist or some alternative? No one seems to know, which confuses allies and does a favor for rivals who would welcome diminished American influence.

Trump is by far the least popular new president in the modern polling era. His approval rating is just 41 percent, according to FiveThirtyEight. All other elected presidents since Roosevelt have had an approval rating of at least 53 percent after 100 days. (Gerald Ford was at 45 percent.) Some, including Obama, Reagan and Johnson, have been above 60 percent.

Trump’s low approval isn’t only a reflection of his struggles. It also becomes a cause of further struggles. Members of Congress aren’t afraid to buck an unpopular president, which helps explain the collapse of Trumpcare.

Obviously, Trump can claim some successes on his own terms. Most consequentially, he has named a Supreme Court justice who could serve for decades. Trump has also put in place some meaningful executive orders, on climate policy above all, and he has allied the federal government with the cause of white nationalism, as Jonathan Chait wrote.

Trump remains the most powerful person in the country, if not the world. It would be foolish for anyone to be complacent about what he can do. Yet by the modern standards of the office, he is a weak president off to a uniquely poor start.

It’s worth considering one final point, too. So far, I’ve been judging him on his own terms. History, of course, will not. And I expect that a couple of his biggest so-called accomplishments — aggravating climate change and treating nonwhite citizens as less than fully American — are likely to be judged very harshly one day.

DaDakota, KingCheetah and malakas like this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If I disliked a politicians policies and they all failed, I would consider that a success.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's not really fair though. How many other presidents have had to contend with their own party holding control of both houses of Congress (and with no filibuster!), the Supreme Court, 2/3rds of the governorships and state legislatures. That's quite the gauntlet to run through.

DaDakota, Wattafan, Exiled and 3 others like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Trump has no help. so sad :(

At least he's signing the most executive orders since Oscar Roberson.

Trump’s Executive Orders Are Mostly Theater

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Seems to me Obama used to get criticized each time congress needed to rush a stopgap budget agreement to keep government going. yet here we are... republican controlled congress, and a republican president. Sad.

edwardc likes this.
  6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

"I loved my previous life. I had so many things going. This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier."

[​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's very sad that they can't get along and get a simple budget agreement done it says a lot about the republican party.

8. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

ISWYDT

9. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I read that this morning in my news feed. I wish I had the hutzpah to simply email the link when the mostly right wing side of my cubicle farm starts getting on a roll, echo Chambering and backslapping over their dear leader and all his "accomplishments".

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  11. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Excellent job, sir. That made me laugh out loud.

Immediately I got a mental picture of Russell Westbrook in uniform, sitting in the oval office, drenched in sweat, furiously trying to sign as many executive orders as possible. Of course the last quarter of them were just signed with his initials cause... ya know, Brodie is gassed and has no help. What a hero.

peleincubus likes this.
  12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Guys! How would you feel if you got a new job and it was sucky and boring? And then, everyone's being mean. 1) CIA; B) FBI; c) FAKE NEWS; iv) libtards x 50,000,000. THEN, Bill O'Reilly got fired, OK, so that's one major power base destroyed, plus some blond chicks left Fox too, that one with the ass. PLUS, African Obama put Mike Flynn in ur cabinet. And then, ur wife doesn't even want to live with you. OK?

P.S. I forgot the DemocRATS.

M
    MAGA
    G G
    A GA M
    M

el gnomo and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People got what they voted for.

I understand why you don't want a corrupt "Washington insider", but you also don't want someone completely clueless when it comes to holding public office.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Poor Durant would be playing pickup at Gitmo....even if it was the best team on the island before he got there.

What department would Spalding head?

ALL OF THEM.

eric.81 likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People need to stop being so mean and stop picking on Trump and start picking on Obama, Clinton, liberals, black lives matters, students, and other people easy to bash

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

As someone with no experience, Trump has done a fantastic job in his first 100 days as a politician.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Mind telling us how?

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

And throw in an opposition party like the Dems (supported by the media) and voila - wysiwyg.
    Such a shame Americans can't see past their noses - even for the sake of the common good.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This is rich... blaming Democrats, whose role is to be a party of opposition, for opposing Trump and his programs. First, did you criticize republicans for opposing Obama's programs? Second, which Trump programs would you expect Democrats to support? His tax program? Ending ACA? And... when has Trump even considered reaching across the aisle to work with Democrats? Heck... the spin was his Infrastructure program was supposed to be something of interest to republicans and Democrats... yet he has focused on repealing ACA, cutting wealthy people's and corporations taxes, building his wall, and banning Muslims.

And... it seems that before blaming Democrats... you might want to make sure republicans aren't also opposing Trump's programs. Since republicans are in the majority in congress.

Last, which Trump programs do you consider for "the common good"?

edwardc likes this.
  20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

[​IMG]