1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sniff Sniff, I smell a big fat rat!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jopatmc, Jun 18, 2004.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Anybody notice that TMAC decides he wants out and goes public with it and Shaq demands a trade on the same day?

I still think that they are working together to try and get Shaq to Orlando. TMAC isn't going to agree to sign an extension with any team he is traded to until he knows for sure that Orlando isn't going after Shaq, in my opinion. But he is going to say that he wants out until Orlando finds out what it will cost to get him to stay and I think they will pursue Shaq hard and heavy. TMac and Shaq are trying to take advantage of Kobe's favored status with the Lakers in order to be able to team up. All they need at this point is for Kobe to help them a little bit by saying that he will only re-sign with LA if they move Shaq for some quality players and rebuild around him. If Orlando comes at LA with Okafor, Hill, Howard/Gooden, salary fodder, and a few #1's, why wouldn't LA do that deal?

Shaq and TMac are trying to make this happen, I really do believe.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Shaq's getting paid like 26 mil next year and 30 the year after that...there's not much that Orlando can offer that can match that to even make it attractive for LA IMHO.

Salary wise, it'd take:

Grant Hill, Howard, Gooden, and Garrity just to equal Shaq's salary.

Granted, they can trade the #1 to the Lakers but with this year's weakass draft...would the Lakers be THAT stupid?

3. jopatmc

Throw in some future draft picks and how can LA do better than that? Do you think that a resigned KMart, Kittles, and junk is better than that deal? Who else? Chicago with the juvenile delinquints, draft picks, and salary like ERob, etc? What do you think LA is gonna get for Shaq? If they take Orlando's deal, they get $15 million or so of salary cap to add a top notch FA in a year or two when Hill comes off the books. And they get a shooter in Garrity and a servicable big man in Howard. They get the opportunity to let Kobe find out that he is gonna need help to win anything and get an attitude adjustment. Then he will be willing to play alongside another superstar, or otherwise a couple other star players. LA can get in the playoffs next year with that team, maybe a 6-8 seed, with Kobe dominating the scoring and carrying most of the load with the team centered around him. Then they can hope that Orlando falls on it's can and they pick another good player from a future #1 pick, along with FA signings. Tell me man. What better deal can LA get for Shaq?

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Deal with Portland for Stoudamire and Ratliff, both expiring contracts.

5. steddinotayto

And this is something Orlando would want....

Sure you got a duo of Shaq and Mcgrady and then you got role players who could be hot one night or cold the next...and you still have a weakness at the PG spot and elite teams will take your PFs to school every chance they get...sounds much like the Laker team last year...the same one that got swept by the Spurs.

Why am I saying this? Because I would imagine Phoenix's rumored package is something a lot better for them to rebuild with than trading for Shaq...who only has 2 years left on his contract and then you would have to sign him and keep a player whose skill is diminishing already.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Jersey. #1 possibility, IMO.

Nets trade for SAR. Then:

Martin (SnT) + Rodgers + Collins + Williams + Zo = Shaq. Who better to lead them into NYC (Brooklyn)?

Nets with a front line of Shaq - SAR - Jefferson and Kidd at the helm. Terrific. And Shaq covers for SAR's deficiencies, a good pairing.

7. steddinotayto

i thought of a Nets trade in another post and i'll agree it's better for LA.

Hell even without SAR, getting Kmart, Kittles and fillers is better than anything Orlando can offer. LA can run a fast pace game through those 3 and I think that would work pretty well with Kobe.

8. jopatmc

Do you really think those are better deals than Orlando's #1, role players, and cap space? I don't.

KMart is a good player, sometimes a terrific player, but he is not a great player. He will not be a champion with a team built around him at max dollars unless he is playing with another dominant big such as Shaq. He is a good second or third piece. But him and Kidd can't get it done in NJ. How could him and Kobe get it done in LA. I don't think LA would want to pay max dollars for him. I think they'd rather have Okafor and the cap space in a year along with some future #1's.

There is one common problem that underperforming teams have in this league. They are paying max dollars for players that are not max players. There are really only about 5 to 8 truly max players in this league: Shaq, Kobe, KG, Duncan, TMac, Jermaine, and possibly Kidd and Nowitzki, with Yao, Lebron, and Carmelo possible future max players. If CWebb were healthy and in 2003 form he may be worth max dollars but he is definitely not worth max dollars at this point. KMart is one of those types of players who deserves a good salary, but is not worth tying up max dollars for. I don't think LA will want him for max dollars. Zo is just dead weight on the Laker wagon. The rest of those players are pieces parts that can be picked up anywhere. In a nutshell, LA would be better off to take Okafor, parts, draft picks, and salary cap space.

Stoudamire and Ratliffe would be a possibility I suppose but I seriously doubt Kobe would want: 1. to have to face Shaq in the West, 2. to have to play with Mickey Mouse toke man.

If LA could get Ratliffe and something else from Portland, and somehow send Shaq east in a 3 way trade, this might be attractive to them. Ratliffe is a beast.

Since when has there been a rumor of Phoenix offering a package to LA for Shaq?

#8 jopatmc, Jun 18, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I do NOT believe Shaq will go to a West team. NJ, moving into a new location, has the greatest financial incentive to make the deal -- and extend him. They also have a package of players attractive to round out a roster for Kobe. Zo + 15% less salary = nice cash savings for Lakes who also do not have to pay to fill those slots with others. So, yes, I think it will probably be the best deal possible for both teams.

Who suggested Shaq to the desert? Not me.

10. jopatmc

I suggested Shaq to the desert as a joke. Someone said that he could be moved to a team under the salary cap for unequal salary and a trade exception. I think it would be funny to see Shaq in Utah. I don't think it will happen though but it is funny to imagine it. Hey man, he's already taking care of how many woman now?

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

LOL!!!

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Houston trades Yao for Shaq ~ then deals for T-mac... BOOM!

13. dn1282

dn1282 Member

Are you really ignorant enough to believe that a team in the EAST with Shaq and TMac will fail to make the playoffs?

14. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

boom. lakers get a new yao-kobe dynasty, winning the championship 10 years in a row. :D ;)

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Why would the lakers make this trade?

Better trade for the Lakers:

Hill, TMac for Shaq (with fodder added to make it work)

Depending on who Oralndo plans to draft, they might also want to move Gooden/Howard in this or another trade.

With both Shaq and TMac forcing trades, this trade appears to be destined.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It makes little sense to have Kobe and Tmac on the same team. KMart or Okafor, guys to achor the defense and be complimentary offensive players who can get up and down the court, plus role players/future picks makes much more sense to pair with Kobe.

Personally, I think the Portland deal is terrible. LA would be one of the worst team in the West next year--LA doesn't want to do that. If they trade Shaq they need a combination of potential and some guys who can deliver now. Cap space alone is overrated when discussing trading superstars.

17. jopatmc

Only if one of them gets knocked out because of injury. Because they will have nothing to play with around them. And the older Shaq gets, the more susceptible he is gonna be to a major knee or back injury, plus the toe isn't going to get better. If for some reason he can't go, then Orlando is headed for the lotto big time. And if LA is holding their #1, well wala.

18. jopatmc

A couple reasons.

1. LA ain't trading for TMAC with Kobe in the house.

2. Shaq ain't going to Orlando and doin nuthing without TMac there.

Besides that, Shaq has got a lot of control over where he goes. All he has got to do is say that he won't sign an extension. What team is gonna gut their roster for a one year, overweight, unmotivated, overpaid superstar who is not happy? Shaq controls his destination. The only thing he doesn't control is whether LA keeps him next year or deals him. He can demand a trade all he wants but he can't make them move him. However, it is highly unlikely that they would want to keep him when he is unhappy and against Kobe. This season was enough for them to realize that the team members have to get along for there to be any kind of chemistry to win a championship. If they keep Shaq there next year, against his will, they will regret it and they are smart enough to know it. Personally, I just think it is a matter of time before the LA Orlando talks begin. I hope I'm wrong but that's the way I see it.