1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Snapshot of the Current Roster. Where we are now & what's next...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Jul 5, 2016.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Nah, we'll win 20. I think 40 will be tough though. We're gonna be a terrible defensive team and I just don't think we have enough weapons to overcome that.

My real concern is what happens if we're clearly out of the playoff chase around the All-Star Break(i.e. 10 games under .500)? Do Les and Morey mail it in and go for ping pong balls? Do they consider trading Harden? Or do they let their pride screw over this franchise yet again and try to squeeze out as many wins as possible the rest of the way?

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Before everyone freaks out, rewind the clock to 2 years ago.

This was a WCF-appearing, 56 win team:
    [​IMG]

We started the season with the likes of:
    Tarik Black (Congrats to Tarik, by the way. Proud of you dude)
    Kostas Papanikolaou
    Broke down Francisco Garcia
    Troy Daniels
    Isaiah Canaan (starting!)
    Joey freaking Dorsey

We ended with Pablo Prigioni and Jason Terry sharing PG responsibilities.
    We ended with the "1-step forward, 1-step back" brothers of brick Josh Smith and Corey Brewer.
    Terrence Jones was starting!
    Joey Dorsey was starting!

Harden took a mediocre roster, one of the historically most injured regular season rosters, put everybody on his back and said let's go kick some ass.

I think we have a shot to be 3rd seed at the end of the regular season. Spurs can go ahead and choke in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row and not sniff the WCF. Cavs exposed the Warriors and it'll be tough for them to win with KD in a cast. Morey's not done building this roster yet. I'm furthest from a Morey fanboy, but it doesn't take too much to trust the roster is going to improve some more before this offseason is over. We're all squinting and holding our fingers crossed that D'Antoni can work magic. He's done it before. At least now we have some damn shooters to go in a shooter system. Hell it's just nice to have an actual system.

1 Warriors
    2 Spurs
    3 Rockets
    4 Grizzlies
    5 Clippers
    6 Thunder
    7 Jazz
    8 TrailBlazers
    9 Mavericks

(remember that. 07/05/16 4:55pm CST)

2 people like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The smart thing would be to tank rather than wait for Harden to leave. Why would Harden stay? We've used up our cap for the next two years.

OKC is trying to trade Westbrook.

4. dream2franchise

People think this team won't make the playoffs?

If we're healthy we're in the playoffs. We'll be a good team this year. We have shooting (finally) and we have young athletic players who will actually be given direction on the court.

We also have James Harden. He took a team with an acne riddled Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lin and Patrick Patterson playing heavy minutes to the playoffs. He is a top five player in this league and he's poised to be a top five in scoring and assists this season.

We have a big who is actually a three point threat (TWO if Dmo can find it again), and can create a shot on his own. We have a young center who can stay with anyone in the league defensively and make them work. We have another seven footer who has a rare combination of skills and the passing ability to excel in an MDA offense.

Defensively we still have great talent. Capela and KJ are proven defenders. Ariza brings versatility, Beverley and Harrell bring energy. What this team lacked was cohesion and direction and Bez will provide that.

We have the pieces for a successful, competitive team. I think we can get to 48-50 wins.

I just want to enjoy the season and see this team play great basketball. It's all there.

5. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Wow that's a bit rough! Gather you're a relative or friend of Dekker?

Whilst I didn't agree with the OP post and think he will be given a shot this season given he was a 1st rounder last year, he's been pretty disappointing both in pre-season last year to then need back surgery. So I do get the frustration people have with him (or probably more with Morey for picking him over others).
    Fingers crossed he can be our new CP (and by that I mean basketball talent).

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hi Les, welcome to the board.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Axe to grind?

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This....

I'll be surprised if the Rockets don't win 50 plus this season.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We are paying him 7.6 million :eek:

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just a number.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The Rockets need to continue to acquire talent

I would make an unbelievable offer for Llull and get him in. Trade Brewer and probably a pick for a Trade Exception. Then match D-mo.

If Love becomes available Capella, Ariza and Beverley would get that done IMO.

Love, D-Mo, Anderson and Harrell at the 4-5

Beasley, Decker and McDaniels as wings

Harden, Gordon, Llull as guards

This is a realistic 10 man rotation with serious talent. Bow there would be tons of question marks but the massive improvement from 1-10 on the roster is worth the risk because we are currently so far behind the Spurs and Warriors talent wise

12. Chamillionaire

I know this is going to sound obvious but we just need to:

Hit open shots. We shot terribly last year. We got plenty of good looks, just didn't hit them. Which is why I'm excited about Anderson and Gordon.

Play defense. Last year was pathetic.

Stay healthy.

If we can accomplish all 3, we're a playoff team.

I don't think Morey is done. I see us picking up a player or 2 through trades.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I agree.

I'm excited for the season. Plus I think either Ariza or bev or both will be dealt.

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

With James Harden on the team Houston will always be a playoff threat that's not even an issue. Winning in the playoffs with this roster? IDK

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Gordon should start.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

For me now that I've had some time to think about it, I like the Ryan Anderson and Gordon signing because it is clearly a boom or bust move. Either this team will be really good or they will be really bad, there's no in between so I don't see the problems other posters are seeing of Houston being a playoff threat but not winning in the first round.

If Anderson and Gordon are healthy and James Harden continues his strong play at the end of last year then the Rockets are gonna be 3-5 seed easily and will make the 2nd round at least (if we avoid Spurs, GSW we can totally make it to WCF against one of these two teams). However we also have 3 injury prone players in Anderson, Gordon and DMo, even Bev. If these guys get banged up then even with Harden I don't see us winning games, so the Rox will essentially be tanking even if the owner doesn't want it. Ditto if MDA turns out to be a clown and a has been, as some are predicting.

So to me there's no downside, either the Rox do well or we tank due to suckage. Let's see what happens, I'm excited for the coming season.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Gordon is best as a 6th man, he's basically a blackhole on offense so you don't want him starting as that takes shots away from the other starters. Our bench will have defenders or off the ball scorers like KJ, Brewer and Chinanu so you put him on the bench and he can Beasley can take turns trying to score on the other team.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Gordon should start. Have you seen Beverly play?

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes, and he shot 40% from the 3 and played pesky defense. Your entire lineup can't be full of scorers, with Ryan Anderson already on the team Harden already has an efficient 20 pt scorer to take the heat off him.

Also Gordon is injury prone, even more so than Anderson. Playing him heavy minutes as a starter is a good way to have him sitting on the bench in a nice suit when the playoffs come

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Where do you people get these ridiculous notions LMAO. Yes it can, especially when thats how you are trying to beat people. They should get rid of bev, brewer, mcdaniels and find a guy that can help beasley. Gordon is perfect next to Harden. Also have you ever heard of staggering minutes? you act like because Harden and Gordon start they will always be on the floor at the same time.