1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smith and Kubiak press conference

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak answered questions at the Combine Friday in Indy. Read what they had to say:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-Combine/93224fca-a8a8-4b57-975e-c6ad081ec479

It's good that Yates and Leinart will battle for the #2 QB spot. Yates deserves a chance to be the backup.

It wouldn't be surprising if the Texans draft more than one wide receiver. I could see us drafting one early and one during the middle to late rounds.

1 person likes this.
  2. Pringles

Pringles Member

Was Kareem Jackson the best player available that year? It seemed like that draft pick was more of a draft based on need approach.

Regardless, I don't know how much more improvement to expect out of Jackson. I'm still scarred from his rookie season.

I am surprised that it was Jason Allen that made Jackson better and not J. Joseph.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Kareem definitely wasn't BPA at that pick. Most had graded him in the 2nd round if not later. Most mock drafts had Kyle Wilson as the #2 CB behind Joe Haden.

I tend to agree that KJ has maxed out his improvement unless he drastically redoes his technique and starts playing the ball. He played pretty much as good a coverage as you can when you're completely turned around on the ball.

The bit about Jason Allen pushing him is in regards to his consistency, not overall improvement. There have been several articles talking about Joseph mentoring KJ during the season. I think it's just saying the fear of losing his starting spot to J. Allen kept him playing at a certain level. Last year when he was gifted the starting spot and had no one pushing him, his play was wildly inconsistent.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody grades everybody differently. Who some website or the dude with the helmet hair at ESPN had on their board is irrelevant. It doesn't mean that the Texans didn't have him rated as #2 on their board.

Of course, if they did, it was a mistake, but the idea that Mel Kiper's board has any relevance is simply wrong. Teams don't get together and invite the media in so that everybody can debate and agree on a master "big board" ranking every player so that everybody's ratings match up.

5. ThaShark316_28

Want silver lining to that KJ pick? All the CBs that were drafted near him are basically underperforming.

That does include Devin McCourty, who has INTs, but is constantly roasted down field.

6. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

(on Baylor QB Robert Griffin III) “I just watched a few of his big games last week. He's exceptional. Athletically, he's as good as I've seen. He's tremendous from that standpoint. With Art’s (Briles) scheme and what they do, they're very complicated to deal with. It looks like he can handle a great deal. His throwing motion is excellent. He makes all the throws, the big throws, the small throws. He's just a very impressive young man. I think there are different schemes in college that we have to try to evaluate and how's he going to fit what we do. One thing about that young man, he'll fit in anything he wants to do. He's been exceptional.''

We gonna trade up for RGIII?

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'd take that All-Pro rookie season from McCourty in a heartbeat even factoring in his stinker this season.