1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smartest people to have ever lived? (Top 10 list)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LosPollosHermanos, Apr 10, 2011.

?

smartest people?

1. newton

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. einstein

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. archimedes

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. da vinci

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  5. galileo

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  6. copernicus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. avagadro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. other (biologist)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. other (physicist)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. other (person)

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Even the most brilliant minds in history have usually evoked the ethereal to explain things once they reach the limits of their knowledge.

2. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Its King Solomon for me too. Great call there.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Eh, close enough to the Anglosphere ... if it involves peculiar looking instruments of measure, self made laboratories, and indifferent philosophies to prevailing beliefs, it counts.

I don't have much issue in the attempt at listing the smartest people. Though it maybe should be called the "Smartest People to Contribute The Most Positively To the MODERN World Through Their Ingenuity". Things like military tactics, gunpowder, stem cell research, narcotics, those requires intelligence, trial and error and scientific methods to develop them.

Not meaning to add noise to the measure, since really anything can be abused. I think that part is understood, though...

Asimov said "Intelligence is a valuable thing, but it is not usually the key to survival. Sheer fecundity ... usually counts"

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

other-rudy t's drunk ass.

5. likestohypeguy

IDK but if anyone here is qualified to rank the greatest minds in history, it's definitely true beaner.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I read the title in an article, which got me thinking. Shroopy and others are right though , technically it doesn't involve intelligence alone. But Like i stated, its nearly impossible to go through every individual that didn't have the confidence, dumb luck, perseverence, or sheer wit of these individuals. I somehow forgot to include tesla in the poll.

But one thing that surprises me is the fact no body mentioned archimedes, i think it was my professor in college that brought up that he was close to the top in terms of ranking. Guy did it all, theory, verification, and implementation. Especially when he used giant mirrors to burn down sails of ships trying to invade.

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

^ yep.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would like to change my vote to
    [​IMG]
    followed by
    [​IMG]

#68 No Worries, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

glad you removed yourself from the smart person list.

Dmitri Mendeleev i always though was impressive for his periodic table. Predicting elements that have not even been found yet.

I tend to hold older/ancient scientist who broke new ground in very high regard.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i saw this documentary one time about Tesla and he created this machine that could create clones of people in glass tanks it was awesome there was like 50 of this one guy so i voted for him

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sorry, but I'm not going to give anyone credit for being smarter than me.

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

the son'b**** that invented the fried chicken... genius

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

wow, entire post just gone. BBS just went screw you on me.

Tesla suffered from great halucinations and repeated images , he would battle every day. He could see things so vividly that the idea of AC current appeared to him in a 2 days. This video has a lot of info on his inventions that "Never" came out as it was said. He petitioned the U.S , england, russia and france to take on the project of his "death" ray at the time so one country couldn't use the power to exploit the other. The U.S backed off initially untill learning of The laser defense system the russians built in 62, etc, which followed teslas schematics exactly.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h5uiK_QnyrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply amazing, we might be using , or at least the government may be using his inventions today and we may not know it.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

the tech. already fell into the wrong hands once..

[​IMG]

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

wow, entire post just gone. BBS just went screw you on me.

Tesla suffered from great halucinations and repeated images , he would battle every day. He could see things so vividly that the idea of AC current appeared to him in a 2 days. This video has a lot of info on his inventions that "Never" came out as it was said. He petitioned the U.S , england, russia and france to take on the project of his "death" ray at the time so one country couldn't use the power to exploit the other. The U.S backed off initially untill learning of The laser defense system the russians built in 62, etc, which followed teslas schematics exactly.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h5uiK_QnyrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply amazing, we might be using , or at least the government may be using his inventions today and we may not know it.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Let's up the difficulty -- name the 10 smartest women.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

No love for Ben Franklin?

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lj3iNxZ8Dww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. thainguyen

thainguyen Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zn7-fVtT16k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. diamondview

diamondview Member

Not sure if there are 10 here, but should suffice...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GpV1dEp7znU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>