1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small Ball = No Victories

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by man532, Feb 7, 2002.

1. man532

man532 Member

I understand Rudy's committment to playing Steve, Cat, and Moochie late in the 4th Quarter.

Great from an offensive perspective, however, has Rudy considered that he has to stop the other team sometime in next millenium. Andre Miller scored 31 or 33 pts and went to the foul line at will. He posted Moochie up and scored on an easy turn around or he drove by moochie like a porsche passing a hyundai.

In addition, other coaches are gaming planning against the small ball squad by making no D playing mooch step up. He hasn't stopped the other teams point yet, unless it's Jacque can't shoot straight Vaughn.

Eddie trying to Big Z was ridiculous, Z either scored down low or hit his free throws.

Cat scored to keep us in the game, however, Ricky Davis and Lamond Murray put in work, late in the 4th Quarter.

Let's try a defensive oriented lineup late in the 4th Qtr. This smells like a tanking job by the Rockets to ensure a top draft pick. Welcome to San Antonio for Duncan sweepstakes.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Even Nelson says from now on the focus is the playoffs and a end to his small ball. Nelson has used those gimmick lineups to win 5 game series and get upsets, but he normally get his ass whipped in the 7game set with small ball. Those lineups are cool from time to time to change tempo, but once the grind starts in the fourth qt and the newness wear off, the only mismatch is the one that you put your players in. Mobley playing the 3spot and Francis the 2 only makes them shoot over much taller players. Sometimes the put up the points, but then the other teams 3 or 2 seem to go off also. I hate the lineup, but thats Rudy way of saying we have no backup 2 guard or small forward.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe Rudy doesn't really CARE about winning THIS year, and is only trying out combinations for next year.

DD

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

It was difficult to find a thread to put my comments in, since there are so many Rudy-bashing threads, but...

I was listening to some caller on 610 yesterday complaining about how Rudy is losing these close games for the Rockets. For example, having Oscar as the ONLY forward at the end of the game against Cleveland. And then Oscar got out-battled for the rebound.

<font size=+1>Does anyone stop to consider why the Rockets are even close to begin with?</font>

Thomas, Taylor, Cato, Rice, and Williams were all out of the game. Cato still battling food poisoning couldn't go late. Collier and Langhi saw 34 minutes between them.

That's your starting and backup forwards! Rudy had to START two rookies.

Cleveland sucks, but they're healthy. And at home.

I guess the PLAYERS kept it close for 46 minutes and RUDY lost it in the final 2...

uh huh.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great Post, tb-Cain.

I agree 100%.

Also I'd like to point out that EG is benefitting by Rudy's coaching, and coming along faster than anyone could have expected.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade,
    That is a rare comment on this board! You're going to have to be a lot more specific. Please elaborate.

....about Rudy

7. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

My question is, assuming we have Taylor, KT and Walt of the Injured list, and in the rotation; would Rudy T still use the 3 guard lineup at the end of the game?

My guess would be yes... he seems to think the offensive mismatches that we get, outweigh the defensive ones, IMHO.

The problem I see is that the added quickness of the 3 guard lineup is mitigated by the increased ability to play help defense in the new defensive rules.

Defenses can hedge better and split ball and man much more effectively. Frankly, if we do go a 3 guard lineup, I think it should be Francis, Cat, and Torres. Why take the ball out of your best player's hands when the game is on the line? Torres being 6'6" at least gives you a better defensive option to cover the 3. Anybody agree? Disagree?

8. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Rudy basically is letting Steve & Cat run the show. Steve and Cat really want Moochie in the game at the end and Rudy is letting them. We have the same brain dead players making our substitution and player rotation decisions as the ones that produce those absolutely crazy turnovers that we know and love.

Think about it.

Does TMo really deserve the starting nod over OT? Does Walt Williams really deserve to start over Eddie? Does Moochie really deserve to be in the game guarding guys like Payton, Kidd, and Miller at the end?

Mooch, TMo and Walt are tight with our two stars and they are the ones in charge of this team from who starts to ends each game. All Rudy does is draw up plays and talks good about our losing to the press. Maybe next year he will take over again..

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean that Rudy T. who is working with a 19 year old rookie, in EG, seems to be doing well. Look at Griffin's development, contribution and stats for the proof. I don't think anyone expected EG at 19 to adjust so well. I applaude the job that Rudy T. has done in bringing the kid along.

Some of the exelleration has been brought on by injuries. But injuries would only guarntee EG more playing time, which may or may not result in the kind of production we've seen from Eddie.

EG was given minutes gradually increasing, and finally starting. He seems to know what is expected of him on the team, and ways that he can help the team win. I think that's instilled in him, at least in part, by Rudy and the coaching staff.

10. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

You've summed up one of the more lucid arguments for why Rudy either needs to change his ways, or he needs to go, in my opinion. Now I'll condition my statement, by saying if that's true, he needs to change or go.

As for Tmo over OT... I don't know. From my recolection, I think Torres has had a markedly easier time playing at the 2. I think his numbers are signifigantly better when he plays that spot as opposed to the 3. But both of them should get some solid time, and Rudy should realize that maybe he should start reducing Steve and Cat's minutes a bit to evaluate the rest of his lineup to see who can go where.

I don't know if that's part of the reason why Rudy's made the lineups he has, or if it has to do with players and their egos. I definately dont' think Walt will supplant Griffin's minutes for the rest of the season. It would be insane to do so.