1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slideshow Software

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr Boo, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

I need some help...I have to create a slideshow for the wedding of my girlfriend's friend. I'll probably need a software that can play music in the background and has no need effects to boot. I'm guessing the output will be a dvd file. So if anyone has any experience with this kinda stuff, I would much appreciate it! Thanks!

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

unnnh....ummmmm.....POWERPOINT....unnnngh...ummmmm

3. Mr Boo

oops...I meant that it had special transition effects...btw I don't have exp. with Powerpoint, but I'm looking into it right now.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

iMovie

It does an excellent job of this exact thing.

5. Summer Song Giver

sorry, but that was some funny shiat :D

6. Mr Boo

Thanks for the recommendation Jeff, and I just took a look at apple's iMovie page and it sounds like exactly what I need...unfortunately, I'm a PC user.

7. droxford

droxford Member

huh?
    (when you say "dvd file" I think iso of DVD or VOB file, and I know that's not what you're talking about)

1) Is your slide show going to be comprised of just digital images?
    2) Or will there be any text?
    3) Are you going to be projecting in front of a large group of people?
    4) When you say "dvd file" do you mean that you are going to want to build a dvd containing the slideshow of images with an audio track?
    5) Can you elaborate on this more?

-- droxford

8. Mr Boo

Hey Drox,
    Sorry that I'm not too clear...

1. Just digital images.

2. Anytext I need, I can create with Photoshop and just create a jpg.

3. Large group...higher the resolution the better

4. This part, I'm not to sure, so please correct me at any point, and I'll check on this to make sure, but the file will be played on a dvd player. I believe that some dvd players are capable of playing wmv files, but just in case, I'm looking for software that can create a slideshow with audio, such that the resultant file can be played on an everyday dvd player.

5. I hope I elaborated enough, and I apologize if this is really newbie stuff for you, but this is my first day of looking into this, and I thought I hit you guys since clutchbbs is a good resource.

9. Mr Boo

Elaborating on 3., I'm pretty sure that everything will run on a projector, so, correct me if I'm wrong, but the resolution will depend on the digital images taken than.

10. droxford

droxford Member

Well, if you're going to project in front of a group of people... for convenience, ease of use, and manual control over slide transitions, I'd probably recommend PowerPoint. But that will probably make a very large PPT file and may be a little tricky for you to create and setup.

If you are going to burn to a dvd, well... that's a completely different animal.

First you mention compatibility. Most modern dvd players will support both dvd-r and dvd+r formats (I won't cover re-writeable formats). But older dvd players may only play one format and not the other. Or the really old ones will not play either format (will only play commercial dvd's). There's not much you can do to avoid this.

You can choose to do one of two things. Either you pick a format and burn in that format, telling others who can't view it that they're out of luck (not very polite, but saves you a lot of time, work, expense, and headache). Or you could burn in both formats and make both formats available to people (more time, work, expense, and headache but friendlier to people).

To create the dvd...
    If you just want to move from slide to slide with an audio track and no transitions, most of the popular burning software will do this (like Nero). However, if you want control over nice transitions, you'll need to "author" the dvd. To save you the expense and learning curve of using something super powerful (like Adobe Premiere), you might want to try ULead CD & DVD Pictureshow 3 which you can buy for around $41 from a reputable dealer.

-- droxford

11. Mr Boo

Thanks drox! I'll look into that. I heard Microsoft Movie Player is pretty good, but who knows...I'm not sure I trust any Microsoft product that you can wholly download for free, but I'm checking that out first...after that, I'll take a look at ULead.

12. TraJ

TraJ Member

Just to be clear, are you wanting this to play in a regular DVD player on a television screen -- like a DVD movie? Or are you planning to present this with a computer and projector, like a presentation of sorts?

If I understand what you're trying to do, you're wanting to project this onto a screen or a wall or something like that. If so, I think your best bet is to find a way to use PowerPoint, perhaps with the Producer add-in. Do you know anyone who has PowerPoint 2002 or 2003? And if you're wanting this be a kind of presentation, I wouldn't put it on a DVD in order to present it; I'd store on the computer.

If you are wanting to use a computer, and you don't know anyone with PowerPoint, you might try OpenOffice. Impress (which is the part of the OpenOffice suite that corresponds to PowerPoint) is not as polished as PowerPoint, but it is free. I don't know if it would accomplish what you're trying to accomplish or not.

13. TraJ

TraJ Member

Actually, I missed part of what you said -- and droxford's reply. As he pointed out, there are a lot of potential problems with putting it on a DVD to play in a standard DVD player. Do you have access to this DVD player now, or at least the make and model so that you can look up what it can and can't do?

14. Mr Boo

Thanks for the input Traj...I'll get my gf to contact her friend and ask her question. In the meantime, I've got to tinker with this stuff. Thx again.

15. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

nero's been rather quiet since the whole escapade with the Christians.

16. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

There's an awesome one that someone at work uses for a slide show that gets shown to the incoming students. I'll find out what it is and let you know.