1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Slam] Patrick Patterson on his Rookie Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2011/04/mr-clean/

by Patrick Patterson (as told to Chris O’Leary)

My rookie season had its ups and downs. After Summer League I went back to Houston and got my house situated, had a little vacation and started working hard practicing every day, working out. Just adapting to change.

Learning to live by myself has been hard. In high school, I had my parents. In college, I had my teammates as roommates, and now I’m living alone, cleaning, doing something I’ve never done before. I didn’t hire a cleaning lady. I mean, I thought about it, but then they say it’s $100 every time they come and clean, and thinking about it, like, what’s she do? Wash dishes, mop the floors, clean the counters, make up my bed, organize stuff. If I just keep myself neat, I can do it myself and save money.

I was in the D-League for four and a half weeks. I just worked on my game. I was in the gym, constantly working out, every single day. I really couldn’t do much else. I had a car, but I didn’t really know where everything was, so the only thing I did outside of basketball was go to the movies, which was five minutes away and go eat at Subway and shop at Wal-Mart.

When I got back, the first game that I saw minutes was in Oklahoma City (December 15). When they first called my name, I thought Coach said someone else’s name and then my teammate started screaming my name, saying, “Patrick, check in!” You know, it’s crazy when you grow up watching certain NBA players, people you admire and look up to and then you step out on the court against them.

We were in Atlanta on January 15 and I started coughing real bad, had trouble breathing a little bit, and then when I started going up and down on the court, my chest started hurting a little bit and I had a shortness of breath. The trainers recognized it and took me back in the locker room and we went to the hospital. The doctor said I probably caught some kind of bug right before the game and made it worse by being at the arena. It definitely was scary. I didn’t know what was going on. The tests kept coming back that nothing was wrong with me, but I still kept feeling pain in my chest. I was worried for a little bit, because I hadn’t had anything like that happen to me. I was nervous for the most part, and when I started feeling better then I started to go from there.

With the trade deadline, we lost a couple of good players, some great leaders on this team, but after that it provided more opportunities for certain players. I guess Coach’s confidence in me went up, and he’s allowed me to play more minutes. He bumped me up in the rotation and he’s been putting me out there more. I worked my way up and he has confidence in me, faith in me, so I try to do whatever I can to get the win for the team.

And I did end up getting a cleaning lady, because I still have trouble cleaning and washing clothes. I’m not used to all of that. I’ll call her whenever my house gets messy to the point where it needs to be cleaned.

2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I knew he's going to be a good player when i see him compete in the summer league. The only problem is his shooting which he didn't show during regular season when the coach put him in there. So that's why they made him go to the D-League. When he came back, he got the shooting touch and it becomes consistent as he play more. If he can keep it up, he's going to be a hell of a player. You can't be one-dimensional player and be good in this league. You got to be able to shoot the ball.

3. DJ

DJ Member

This shows that he is a Daryl Morey type of guy.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

But in the end he still hired a cleaning lady lol, but props to him for trying to save money and do the chores by himself

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I wish the writer was a bit better with the questions and writing, but its still fun to see Pat's perspective

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Should have consulted Joey Dorsey about what to do for fun when you are down in RGV.

Clearly, a backseat kind of cleaner. He wants no part of cleaning, he just doesn't have it in him at all.

#6 Carl Herrera, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

haha, it shows that he's not lazy like other nba players

8. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

haha. we should probably also consult a veteran like charles barkley in regards to how to have fun on the road.

9. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

It shows that he's got some sense to think about putting money away instead of blowing it like most nba players do, trying to live the highlife.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty down to earth guy. He's making millions and he wants to save money on cleaning lady and shops at Walmart.

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

Haha, 2Pat sounds like a pretty boring dude.

...glad he's on our team though.

12. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

exactly what i am thinking, earns millions but still trying to save money, shows you what kind of person he really is.....

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'm pretty sure that changes..he's barely on his rookie contract, first year, first month in the league. At that point he's no where close to having millions.

Nice read, but it would have been nice to get some more out of him.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This guy earned a degree in 3 years, whiles being committed to the basketball team.

That says a lot about how hardworking and smart he is.

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Sounds like a very down to earth type of guy. I am rooting for this kid to succeed.

16. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Just realized that 2-Pat was the Best Pick available in the 2010 draft based on availability. None of the picks available after him have panned out. Way to go Morey and way to prove the over-lookers wrong 2-Pat!!!!

Bet the Hornets wished they picked him now, and Memphis.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Crawford? Fields and Bledsoe have had their moments too.

18. Mashing

Mashing Member

I live by myself and I don't feel like cleaning either. I can't blame him for that!