1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Slam Online] Assessing T-Mac’s MVP Candidacy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Assessing T-Mac’s MVP Candidacy

by Marcel Mutoni

For most people, the MVP race this season is almost strictly between three players: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Chris Paul. Every once in a while, though, someone else tries to enter the discussion - be it Kevin Garnett, or hilariously, Paul Pierce - and today, it’s Tracy McGrady’s turn.

Mac’s Rockets are en fuego, having won an astounding 20 straight games, and haven’t missed a beat since Yao went down with a season-ending injury. With Houston playing way above their heads, some are begin to think McGrady should get some hardware for his troubles.

The seven-time all-star is making a case for MVP as the Rockets have matched the second-longest win streak in NBA history and marched to the top of the Western Conference standings.

“As long as this game has been around, not too many people have accomplished what we’ve accomplished,” McGrady said. “Twenty years from now, somebody will possibly be in the same breath as us and mention our name.”

As nice a story as the Rockets have been, for McGrady to even get serious consideration for the award, Houston needs some kind of miracle to come out of this month unscathed. Just look at some of the games on their sched: Lakers, Celtics, Warriors, Suns, and Spurs to close out March.

Gentlemen, your work has been cut out for you.

---

Read the responses from the Haters in the comments section

2. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I wonder if it would be the first time a player won MVP without being selected for the all game

3. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

This isn't assessing anything. He just says in a very long way that TMAC is making a case. Brings up no statistical analysis or anything just he 20 game win streak. If this writer wants to have any kind of credit he should plug some numbers and show what TMAC has been averaging in the streak/since Yao went down. Then compare that to Kobe and LeBron this year.

4. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

"Tmac the MVP" is by far the best player in the league after the all-star break. Kobe who?

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

His game right now is really on a high level. His team has won 20 in a row playing without Yao for 8 stratigh games. That's something big.

T-Mac's chances for MVP have been raising but I don't think he will win this award this year. Maybe if the Rockets beat Celtics, Lakers....maybe

6. babydill

babydill Member

The next month will determine if he REALLY has a shot at the trophy or not.

Kobe or LB will be getting it almost for sure unless the Rockets stay in the 1-3 seed in the west come playoff time.

Bet on it.

7. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Only way he could get MVP over Kobe is if the Rockets finish higher than the Lakers (unlikely) and if T-Mac averages at least 26 or 28+ ppg in that stretch (also unlikely, with this new teamball).

There's really nothing he can do to wrench it out of LeBron's hands, though. If that is where it's ending up, I don't see what T-Mac can do to change it. LeBron is playing amazing while leading his team to a good record.

I think T-Mac should earn the "I-coast-most-of-the-season-but-I-can-turn-it-on-and-off-whenever-like-a-light-switch" award.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lol i can't deny that. hopefully next yr tmac will play at this level even with yao (and same for yao) so we can really get the #1 seed. i think this is the year where the duo has finally realized the great team that they have.

personally, the ONLY way tmac will get the MVP is if these things happen:
    1) they have to win AT LEAST 4 games next week (esp. the ones v. kobe and KG)
    2) they MUST get the #1 seed over the lakers

if those things, there's a very good chance he can win the MVP (which i don't think he deserves b/c you can't dominate for just half a season).

but it'll be tough. i think tmac just wants to win a playoff series. he can focus on the MVP next yr.

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Of course it would be great for McGrady to win this award but that's not what he needs most. He needs to get past the 1st round of the playoffs THIS season.

10. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Lebron's team is 37-29. Tmac's team is 44-20 in the Western Conference. Can't deny that Tmac's team is doing much better. Also, after watching some of the Lakers recent losses.. I see catching top seed as very probable.

The media definitely has their Lakers blinders on though. A win over the Lakers would be a perfect way to tell their fans and the media to STFU.

11. LouisianaRocket

Last thing T-Mac needs is the MVP title to mellow him out for the year. We need T-Mac still on his game, and uncomfortable, and focused in the playoffs. That is when he is deadly.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

When do they present the MVP trophy? It's after the playoffs start isn't it?

13. MandM's

MandM's Member

No shot at MVP. He has developed a reputation throughout the league as being only marginally driven. When things go well he's great. When things are going badly he is part of the problem.

Remember what was happening in Orlando when he was there? Well, the same thing was happening here in Houston early this season. Did you guys forget the "I want to be traded" statements he was making just a few months ago? Remeber Wallace and Gordon for McGrady? Come on, the people that vote for the MVP remember I guarantee.

14. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Whats that? I did! I did! I smell a hater!

15. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

that award is already designated for robert horry every year, along with a ring

16. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

i totally agree with you on this one.

my thoughts on who's going to get the mvp:

kobe - the media loves the lakers and kobe.......and if the lakers finish 1st at the end of the season and since kobe hasn't gotten the mvp it will most likely win the mvp.

LBJ - no way....eastern conference and a record like that would not be acceptable in the west! no way throw him out of mvp talks.

CP3 - its a tie between him and kobe........they way they beat SA by 20 that really says something........he got my vote.

T-MAC - i want to see him get the mvp.......he is got my vote.......but you guys know that he wont get this award 1) everybody hates the rockets and didn't give us any credit on the winning streak before our eyes. the only way mac will get this award is 1) rockets finish 1st in the west 2) beat the elite teams that we face coming up.

IMO the order who gets the mvp
    1)CP3 or Kobe
    2)kobe or CP3
    3)T-Mac

LETS GO ROCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Tracy never said that. Get a life.

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

T-Mac is likely a top 3 shooting guard this year...MVP,...no.

We just have a very...good...team... (p.s. the sooner everyone gets back healthy, the better...)

19. MandM's

MandM's Member

oh really?

20. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Yeh, dude, he never said that.