1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Slam]MAD NICE: Vernon Maxwell Was One Hell of a Hooper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 16, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This is the story of how this site is called Clutch City, it started when the team was called Choke City
    after being down to Phoenix in 94.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/vernon-maxwell-feature/

For better or worse, toughness was Mad Max’s most visible quality. That toughness was on display for all to see when the Rockets were up against a potential sweep during the 1994 Western Conference semifinals, playing in Phoenix after blowing consecutive 20-point leads in Games 1 and 2. Maxwell’s 31 second-half points sealed a Game 3 win and helped lead to an eventual seven-game series win for the Rockets. In Game 7 of the ’94 Finals, Max’s 21 points—only Hakeem Olajuwon (25 points) and Knicks PG Derek Harper (23 points) scored more that night—and game clinching three- pointer over the outstretched arms of Knicks guard John Starks solidified his position as a Rockets legend.

------
    “I’m getting my résumé together,” Maxwell says from his home in Houston. The veteran guard is interested in getting into coaching like his buddies Ellie and Cassell, who both spent years in the NBA as assistants. “Hopefully I can start at the bottom of some organization and work my way up.”

Ellie thinks Max can certainly bring something to a team but understands why the opportunity didn’t immediately present itself. “Once you’re out of the League [as a player] you have to keep in contact with people and Vernon didn’t do that. He has a wealth of basketball knowledge and I know he’d be a fantastic coach.”

“Vernon did a lot of winning compared to a lot of guys,” Cassell says. However the reputation of the man who at one time was universally called “Mad Max” for good reason—go search for a video of his fight with Michael Jordan on YouTube—may hinder his opportunities. “Perception is everything in the league,” Cassell says. “Vernon is a great guy, but perception is everything.”

Maxwell agrees. “When it comes to coaching you have to climb that ladder. I don’t know if it’s because of my past. I’m just waiting for that opportunity to happen for me.”

Plowman, mastan, dragonwill and 2 others like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Somehow I first read that as, "Was One Hell Of A Pooper" and thought to myself, "Damn. These articles are getting so personal."

csj and D-rock like this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well Houston sign him up.

tinman likes this.
  4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Mad Max was one of our fav players back in the day. Fearless, Max enjoyed defending the great Michael Jordan tormenting him like a rabid dog on a bunny, eyes wide open.

I'm so happy that he made peace with the Rockets family.

joeson332 and D-rock like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

For Stephen A Smith and the Knicks fans
    I want to say

CLUTCH CITY FOREVER

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Took me a while but I forgave the guy for faking the injury.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell's kid got into Gonzaga

Mad Max Part 2

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Maxwell was an all time great defender. On offense, he fell in love with the 3 pointer but he usually sucked at shooting them. I know he had moments where he got hot but he shot us out of a ton of games in his career. Very undisciplined player with the ball in his hands. That was always unfortunate because he could pass well and he could get to the rim with the best of them. All the ill advised bricks from 3 land plus the fact that he selfishly quit on his team and many other incidents (brandishing a gun on the freeway is one) will probably ensure that he never ever coaches in this league.

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Vernon would be perfect player to complement Harden in MDA and Bzdelik systems.

He could succeed in any era, such a pitbull on D.

Tomstro likes this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

His defense yes. His poor shooting would be an issue.

D-rock likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah Maxwell's 3 point shooting was streaky

But there's only one 3 pointer in the history of Houston sports that won Houston it's first major pro title.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

None of us would be here if Max didn’t hit the three on Starks or brought us back in Phoenix with 31 in second half
    He’s Lou Williams and Patrick Beverly and Ron arrest combined

Hakeemtheking and Patience like this.
  13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Doesn't seem to be an issue for the rest of Harden's teammates.

D-rock and Tomstro like this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

True. That felt so good!!

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Touché

16. HROZ

HROZ Member

Hope he gets a start.

Also hoping he didn't blow his NBA money and doesn't need it.

Would've liked to have him on the team in 95, but even more in 96 and 97 when we were meant to still be contending.

That hurts as we were a player or 2 short.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

How can you misspell Mario Elie's name so many times in a reflective article? Sad.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

He seems like he’s doing well
    At least he’s keeping in great shape for a dude who’s over 50!

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I wish him well - but have no interest in him being involved in any capacity with coaching the team. Sorry Max, you done burned that bridge imo...

20. smp

smp Member

I like the Ron Artest comparison. Crazy and intense. Jumps into the stands to fight fans. Unpredictable. Great defense. Able to score at elite levels occasionally. Not scared of big moments. Doesn’t get the credit he deserves. I think that’s true for both of those guys.

Maybe he should change his name to Universal Peace or something. That might help.