1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SLAM DUNK RETURNS??? NEW ROOKIE FORMAT???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Dec 16, 1999.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

http://www.nba.com/news/all_star_saturday_schedule.html

I guess the slam dunk is back. I missed that one. Have any of the Rockets been invited?

And how about this rookie game? How many rockets and former rockets will be in that game? Project some starting lineups for me. I guess the format is 1st year vs 2nd year. Much more interesting.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited December 16, 1999).]

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Yep, the NBA is considering a sophomore class of '98 vs. Rookie Class of '99, rather than the normal rookie all-star game. While this will give guys like Cat Mobley and Mike Dickerson the chance they never got, it really is pointless. The main guy for the class of '98 [Vince] will more than likely be starting in the real game, and that just takes the point out of this.

With Carter's absence, it'll probably look like this:

98:
    Peirce
    J.Williams
    Olowokandi
    Bibby
    Mobley

99:
    Odom
    Griffin
    Brand
    Marion
    Francis

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Hey, that looks like it would be a pretty cool game!

And Mobley vs. Francis ... oooh I would love to see those guys going against each other in a game like this.

I like this format better, proven guys vs. guys making names for themselves. Usually the rookie games are boring.

------------------
    Crisco melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

4. Old School

Old School Member

Francis could easily make the REAL all-star team (coaches pick) and be ineligible for the rookie game.

You can bet he will be in the slam dunk contest.

Old School

5. alaskansnowman

francis would take mobley to school. Mobley uses his speed and quickness to get by defenders. this time, francis has more speed and quickness than mobley. but who knows? it would be fun to see teammates battling each other.

i can't wait for the slam dunk contest... stevie francis, vince carter(the best dunker of all time), plus many more.

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

"...vince carter(the best dunker of all time)..."

Whoa there, buddy. The names Jordan, Drexler, and Wilkins come to mind when discussing this 'title.' Carter's great, but he isn't that great.

I'm also very excited about this years contest. Who's going to compete? Some names to throw around:

Kobe Bryant(defending champion, sort of)
    Vince Carter
    Steve Francis
    Michael Finley
    Kevin Garnett
    Brent Barry(I know what you're thinking, but he did win it in '96)

Any other ideas for competitors?

[This message has been edited by AntiSonic (edited December 17, 1999).]

7. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Jeff Hornacek and Steve Kerr.

8. 2Sandwiches

2Sandwiches Guest

i would like to see dickerson playing with cat again for the 98 team. Would be like old times!

------------------
    "You know, it's interesting....."
    -Calvin Murphy

9. mantronix

mantronix Member

Dominique Wilkins was the best slam dunker of all time in the contests and in game period.

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

He was but now its Vince Carter.

11. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

Agreed Mantronix, The Human Highlight Film was the greatest Contest Dunker of all time. He dunked with such power and grace all in one. Also Wilkins was robbed in Chicago by Jordan and the Bulls fans. Oh well.

------------------
    Stevie Wonder says "they call him FRANCHISE because his dunks are for sale at an arena near you."

12. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Jordan clearly did better. DUNKING FROM THE FREE THROW! Come on.

13. francis23

francis23 Member

Dominique was not the greatest, Jordan was. I say this cause Wilkins could only dunk off of two feet that is fact.

1) Jordan
    2) Carter (after this years contest)
    3) Wilkins
    4) Drexler

Dunkin' from the free throw is no big deal, Eddie jones once did it in a game, Even Scottie Quitten Did it when he was in the contest in 88. The only diff. was how Mike Hung in the air, but he did take off from about 14feet, as he stepped in the key a little. Bottom line MJ was the greatest!

------------------
    "Lamar Odom, Elton Brand, Wally Szczerbiak and Shawn Marion are guys who are going out to score. That's not my job on this team right now. But if I needed to, if my coach asked me to go out and score 30, I can get it in one quarter"

-- Steve Francis.

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

yall woudlnt consider DR. J to be like the all time best dunker? i'm young but wasn't he the one who first started all thse dunks and jordan etc just copied half of his dunks