1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers, Rob Covington agree to 4-year, $62M extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Nov 15, 2017.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Can we trade Ryno for him? :D

Unfortunate miss on our part to let him go.

roslolian likes this.
  2. Nigel Thornberry

Who are you?!

3. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Robert Covington and Ryan Anderson have almost identical stats career stats when adjusted for minutes or possessions.

7.2 18.1 .401 4.0 11.1 .364 3.2 7.0 .459 3.7 4.5 .811 1.8 7.7 9.6 2.5 2.7 1.1 3.2 5.2 22.2 102 105
    8.8 20.9 .422 4.2 11.0 .380 4.6 9.9 .469 3.7 4.3 .860 4.0 6.7 10.6 1.8 1.1 0.7 1.9 3.9 25.5 115 109

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Unfortunately Covington has defense while Anderson doesn't and Covington also doesn't cost 20M this year. He is like 4x better than Anderson all things considered.

5. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Hard to say, at least stats wise. I think Anderson on paper actually has better stats and one of the lowest TO ratios in NBA history. If people think Covington is worth that cash, I think those people should believe Anderson is worth his money too.

6. Buck Turgidson

I don't recall, but at the time what was the roster situation and reasoning behind releasing him? I remember him destroying the D-League, and looking not-terrible in his very short time with the big club. Just curious. Good for him, he's obviously worked his ass off to get where he is.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is an interesting read...bumped several times.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/rockets-set-to-release-robert-covington.258808/

Gives you a feel for the BBS was pretty much 100% behind cutting him, apparently this was the year of Tarik killing it and KPap signing.

Maybe search within that thread for BimaThug posts or usual suspects for some insider summary.

#27 heypartner, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    roslolian and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ryan Anderson, somehow, has clearly turned into a decent defender this year.

9. Buck Turgidson

Thanks, man. Just goes to show how difficult it is to project borderline NBA talent. There's no telling where he would have ended up without the regular PT he got on a basically developmental team like the Sixers, and it's impossible for us as fans to judge things like work ethic. Like I said, good for him, I like the underdogs. Mario Elie is probably my personal "poster child" for that.

KPap, now that's a guy I had pretty much completely forgotten about.

roslolian likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Decent defender compared to his own performance last year maybe. When compared to actual he still falls short imho. He doesn't provide any paint defense and he doesn't bother other people besides his man, in this day and age you need big men who are space eaters like Marc Gasol or who are active through out the paint area like Capela or Draymond Green. Just 1v1 post defense like what Anderson is doing is not enough because the scoring threat doesn't come from big men, they come from guards and wings these days. And his paint D is only good vs people his size, legit pfs and cs can still push him around.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

White Parsons, God version.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Confirmed salary on the Robert Covington renegotiation and extension is: $16,698,103, $10,464,092, $11,301,219, $12,138,345 and $12,975,471. The total represents $62M in new money (not including his original $1.57M salary for this season). - Bob Marks

13. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/...mbiid-ben-simmons-jayson-tatum-celtics-sixers

Robert Covington, NBA Outlier
    You know Covington as Philly’s frightening Horry-Ariza-Posey 3.0 hybrid, but did you know he’s also one of the biggest flukes in recent NBA history? Covington logged Gladwell’s 10,000 hours as a 3-and-D guy without anyone realizing it. First, the Rockets stashed him as an undrafted rookie on their D-League team, where they told everyone to jack 3s and play at an absolutely preposterous pace. Who won the 2014 D-League ROY? Covington. Four years later, would the NBA adopt a less preposterous version of that same preposterous pace? You betcha. (That’s fluke no. 1.)

A few months later, Houston GM Daryl Morey waived Covington before opening night. Philly picked him up because Sixers GM Sam Hinkie used to work for Morey. (Fluke no. 2.) Covington enjoyed low-pressure reps in the most hopeless situation possible, playing almost 6,000 minutes over the next three years. (Fluke no. 3.) Even better, the Sixers kept drafting big guys instead of anyone who played Covington’s position, and they didn’t waste free-agent money on small forwards, either. (Fluke no. 4.)

That meant Covington spent four years in 3-and-D Grad School, then received his graduation present: a ridiculously gifted playmaker in Simmons, loads of floor spacing thanks to Embiid and J.J. Redick … I mean, it’s like Covington died and went to 3-and-D Heaven. The Process spawned the perfect wing for Embiid and Simmons without even remotely meaning to do that. Robert Covington … OUTLIER! I enjoy that dude.

heypartner likes this.
  14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Good for him, but they're wasting Young Footwork on the bench. Trade the man, buy him out or give him a chance. He can flat out play. Forget his lack of maturity. Players go through that at different times. Even Ron-Ron went psychotic later on.

Unfortunately, he can't shoot the three ball well yet, but his post game is very, very underrated. He could be as deadly as Sheed if he had the right people around him.

Yeah, I'm a fan. :)

15. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Parsons got injured but it is kinda interesting how his injuries kept occurrinng after he got paid...