1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers GM got the job after giving a Power point on the Harden Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFWRocket, Feb 17, 2015.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Until tanking pays off, it's just sucking. I wonder what Hinkie's end game is?

The Harden trade was fortunate for many reasons. Too many variables to think that's a strategy you can simply put together.

2. Classic

Classic Member

Correct. We signed Lin.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We were basically committing to tanking after we traded or let everyone save a few assets away. Hell, we amnestied Scola and that felt like a kick in the gut for me. But it was understood to be for the greater good. Then, we got Harden which pushed up our planning big time so said tanking never actually happened.

4. RedRising14

RedRising14 Member

Being excellent later as opposed to being mediocre now. Sounds a lot like Luhnow and the Astros and I'm not against it

5. dragician

dragician Member

We lost Dragic, Lowry and Parsons for nothing.

Great GM work there.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Troll post?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Until anything becomes anything else it's just something.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Unless you can prove that A leads to B, in which case the two are tied together. I'm pro analytics but I've never been pro-tanking.

There's no guarantee that tanking will ever pay off (see: NHL - Edmonton Oilers). And either way it affects the competitive spirit of sports. It starts to shift what sports are really all about. Do we watch for entertainment? Or is it something else?

I don't think Morey has ever fully tanked. Hinkie is taking things to a crazy level. I wonder how the average Sixer fan feels about it.

9. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

This. Had a Harden-less season come to pass, many would have accused us of tanking.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Spurs tanked, got Duncan, won the title. A lead to B.

No method will always pay off.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

ugh cant believe I'm defendiing Morey again, but I dont see how anyone could have accussed us of it. maybe the cynic can convince themself that Lin's contract was for monetary purposes (despite numerous reports that NBA teams have equal share in all revenue streams), but the Asik contract was simply about us getting better. You don't dish out over $50 million in contracts if you are trying to lose. I'm sure Morey woulda gone into the season with what we had but I'm equally positive he would have made a big move by the trade deadline. I simply don't buy Morey as the tanking kind of guy.

12. vince

vince Member

Rockets got lucky. It could have been preparedness for nothing in return. But the Rockets won big. i dont know if an opportunity like that will be available again.

Heck i heard it was the Wizards or the Bucks were given a counter offer for Harden but the balked. and that is when Morey took the deal Oklahoma requested.

In fairness, i think most people thought Harden would be a team star, but not quite an allstar. i think at Clutchfans we were excited about the possibility of a star. but we were happy about Jordan Hill, Thabeet, etc.....

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Never happens without the Robinson injury. Robinson getting injured was not SAS's Plan A. Getting to the Finals in 1997 was. Celtics tanks even harder (plan-"A"d for Duncan longer), and didn't get Duncan. A did not lead to B.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

As with many good super hero stories, Morey's arch nemesis will have a link to his own birth. Hinkie is going to dominate the East forever and it all starts next season.

They will make the playoffs and never look back again.

What a brilliant job by Hinkie. The icing on the cake is that Philly's owners are happy with the financial situation in these tanking years. The fans must be so fed up by now but it's all going to be worth it I think.

Added bonus: it will piss Barkley off to see the Sixers succeed with analytics, and that makes me happy.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Can't believe so many posters still won't admit that we were built to suck that summer before picking up Harden. The Rockets weren't going to be as blatant as the Sixers are now, but our .500 roster was absolutely liquidated that summer, and the only thing we had going on was a pair of poison pill gambles. At the time, it felt like I was the only person to notice. People thought we were going to be a .500 team again with Martin, Lin, and Asik, smh.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lin and Asik were the two most untradeable assets Morey has ever acquired. Why would he do that if he wanted to tank and remain flexible.. Just don't sign them. Those two contracts was more likely Les ordering Morey *not* to tank, than it was a Hinkie-esque tank job to sign those, two....especially the Lin signing.

He didn't plan to lose Lowry and Dragic.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The tanking option only went out the window because Harden wasn't who we thought he was.

He was insanely better out the gate.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

First let's be clear about what tanking we're talking about. Morey's tanking -- perhaps tempered by Les -- was primarily interested in monetizing assets, and not putting much priority on winning the lottery. Hinkie obviously wants both. I agree signing Lin/Asik wasn't a Hinkiesque move. I think Les wanted to keep some respectability and not sink to the bottom, so it made some sense to keep a couple of real players around. But, the goal of that offseason wasn't at all to win games.

Also, I'm not sure Morey really thought these contracts were untradeable when he signed them. One, they weren't all that untradeable in reality -- he got a decent asset back for Asik, and he could have gotten a better one if he was willing to trade for a player instead of plowing it back into the 'flexible asset' account. He may have underestimated the trouble he was going to have with Lin, but if Lin had turned out to be as good a player as Asik, he'd have been worth enough to net an asset too. In the end, it didn't cost all that much to get rid of him; we were net positive at the end of the Lin/Asik era. Besides that, I think the math was that the contracts were short enough that they wouldn't be too burdensome.

Finally, we absolutely intended to lose Lowry -- we traded him. And, if we didn't intend to lose Dragic, we can at least say we didn't want him very badly since we weren't willing to match the contract Phoenix was offering.

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

... How is signing James Harden, Omer Asik, and [a then productive and hyped] Jeremy Lin a "commitment to tanking"?

20. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Ha! We got lucky...people tend to forget that we tried to trade our assets for Pau Gasol, but thankfully, the NBA veto that trade to prevent Chris Paul from going to the Lakers. Also, the Wizards were initially offered Harden for their 1st round pick and a couple other players, but the Wizards passed because they were high on Bradley Beal. Therefore, OKC came to us because plan A, which was Gasol, didn't happen...take that analytics! Haha