1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

sirhangover traded to Sixers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sirhangover, Aug 4, 2000.

1. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

okay fine...i guess i am hungover...i still like the idea...

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

2. haven

haven Member

hehe... believe it or not, we've had a similar thread before, and I'll say the same thing now as I did then.

Could you *imagine* how many points that backcourt would generate? I'd get Iverson, play him for one year, then trade him, just to see that. Heck... we wouldn't *need* a front court on offense. [​IMG]

But, sirhangover: do you realize that Mobley is undersized for a SHOOTING GUARD? As a small forward, he'd be a midget. And what about Shandon? We *can't* trade him if Houston wants to sign a free agent ever again.

We'd need a name for them though... how about the "Twin Speedies?"

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

3. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

I think it's a great idea. That backcourt would be the quickest of alltime. I'll take the defensive liablities. But if you think there is any way could keep mobley and cato and hakeem and still do this you loco. Who would we be giving them?

------------------

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Fun Police will not come in the way this time. BOOK EM' Mango!

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Insulting fellow posters without my permission is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

LOL!!!

love the thread title.

sir, you 6rs fan! Go to some 6r ESPN board.

Get the hell out!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

6. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

hey the mobley part is interchangeable with pg and sg okay..i am just saying we could defend by commitee on the big guards...throw in a carlos rogers or whoever if need be but..

penny hardaway only gives up 3 inches on mobley..with that athleticism double teaming/trapping would work...(seattle george karl days)...

as far as who to give up...sixers are wanting to get him out...we could give a bunch of picks and players...

the guy is a all star/hall of famer potential no question...who are we waiting for then webber? yeah right...this is the cheapest(as far as what we lose) chance to get the guy..i am saying we take it almost for the fact of what he is..you cant deny his value at some point regardless of the experiment working or not...

you guys are too much into the conventional way of doing things..is the rule that you have to be branded a sg pg , sf? i mean what is against a shorter athletic team? you have heard of double teaming right?

if height was the premium then muresan and sabonis would be the sh*t..and if its all about defensive stoppers well then atlanta wouldnt be shopping mutombo....i agree we would need some meat in the middle but how good do they have to be...a couple of hard working chucky brown types in the middle and iverson and francis..you cant argue that team would just be lottery bound no way...

going against conventional thinking is at times can be called innovation..maybe not..but what just chill then with the team we have? and be 7th seeds probably lotto bound? thats exciting let me tell you..

or lets do something fun..no one here can deny that the man has game and you would watch every game...

i am just having fun with the idea anyway all you serious people need to open your mind a little..jeez..if you are that serious then i feel bad because we arent a championship team...what we have right now isnt going to put us over the top..chances like this guy wont present themselves again...and then if they do at what cost?

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought you were already traded to the 6ers? Mobley gives up 3 inches to another team's SG! That's not a good sign.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

8. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

I agree with TB3, Iverson is trouble. We shouldn't get him.

TB3, you are completely insane. Welcome to the chat!

--------------

"Give more kids guns!!! They're fun to play with!!!"

------------------

[This message has been edited by fromobile (edited August 04, 2000).]

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Defend by commitee? It doesn't work that way. Whoever is stepping over to "help" our guards is going to be abused by his respective man...the man he SHOULD be guarding. Double teaming always leaves someone open. Karl had big guys to play the 3 and 4 back in those days in Kemp and Schrempf that were in their prime. That strategy won't work with a small lineup like you're proposing.

Why would they take our scrubs when they can get better offers from teams.

OK, I can agree with that point because waiting for Webber is a bad idea, but the Rockets organization isn't going to do that. It's not in their nature to wait on anyone. I doubt highly that we'll get Webber(at this point), but there is always a possibility.

Blah, blah blah....now I see where you got this crazy idea! 2 quick, athletic 5'8" guys(me and Spacefield) beat 2 taller 5'11" guys(you and Sparky)! Heheheee! Ohh youuu!!

Hell, we watch every game as it is...who needs Iverson, especially when he'll kill our cap space for years to come. Not to mention the guy is a proven thug. We just don't need that image either.

------------------

I've been licking this carpet for 3 hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited August 04, 2000).]

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

NO !

------------------

11. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

Well now that i have your attention..i noticed the other thread francis vs. inverson but i propose something different...i know you are going to call me crazy but...

Why dont we try and get this guy? and who says that we have to trade him for francis?..
    philly will let him go for much less because they want to move him..we could throw in all of our scrubs shandon as well and have a three guard team like phoenix had a couple of years ago.. yeah you think i am crazy but the guy has MAD MAD game...

you purists are going to say 'but francis and iverson play the same positions' or whatever else but the point being here..he is f-ing bad ass..

lineup of:
    c-olajuwon
    pf-cato
    sf-mobley
    sg-iverson
    pg-francis

tell me what you want but those two guys would be amazing...maybe there isnt enough rock to go around but still i think they could coexist..
    anyone remember the dumars thomas team? who else did they have in the middle? laimbeer? rookie rodman? salley?

I am not a capologist but there is a way we could work it and still keep francis, mobley, olajuwon( this is a loyalty issue) as untouchables...the rest would be expendable...

call me crazy but wouldnt that be exciting? i mean can you imagine? i think these kind of deals dont come around too often...philly wants to unload and whoever gets him is getting a steal...why cant we?we are talking about the number 1 or, number 2 (he has been in that category the past years) scoring leader in the whole league ...

just think about it for a sec... i know it wont happen but can you imagine..dont try and play the height argument or big guards posting up against us...we would mix it up as well with big men off the bench so that argument to me is not valid...

just a thought...

------------------

12. TB3

TB3 Member

Yeah, and we can get Rodman too. Of course, practicing would have to become optional. Also, no dress code or curfews on road trips. Who would be in charge of procuring the weed?? Good idea-------NOT!

------------------
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent
    homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace
    Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Getting Francis and Iverson both would not be a good move for the Rockets. That would be about the smallest backcourt in NBA history, with Iverson at 6'0 or a little under and Francis at 6'3 or a little under. Bigger guards like Kobe Bryant, Steve Smith, Penny, and others would have a field day posting up our guards. Any team that gets Iverson needs to have a big PG that is able to defend the bigger SG's of the NBA.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament!
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000958.html

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

no way! no how! Philly wants to deal one of the top scorers in the NBA for a reason. That's because he is only a scorer and nothing else. Iverson takes to many shots. It doesn't who is is around him. Iverson will take all the shots.

Philly would have made it further in the playoffs if Iverson would have passed Kukoc the ball when he was wide open. However, he didn't which proves he is just me, myself and Iverson.

Forget the three guard setup. It only wins games in the regular season, not championships. I rather the Rockets lose games in the regular season than games in the playoffs like the the second championship season.

------------------

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So who's going to play defense??
    Which of those guys in the back court would do the little things to win?? Such as PASS the ball, dive for loose balls, etc.
    Also who are you going to give up for Iverson.. Besides the whole team if you're not trading Steve??

------------------
    Soon to be a Member of CCC. inc Pledgee T_Man

16. RocketsPimp

Ohh youuuu sirhangover. Put down the gravity bong and step back from the sink!!

[​IMG]

The height arguement it totally valid. I know what Phoenix tried and where did it get them? An early exit from the playoffs. That would be one hell of a small back court that would get eaten up by the bigger lineups in the league.

Also, I am against having our entire scoring focus being the backcourt. Iverson is a player that MUST have the ball. Francis is a player that MUST have the ball. Mobley is a player that MUST have the ball. Sorry but there just aren't enough balls to go around on that team, not to mention that it would be a very predictable offense to defend. There has to be balanced scoring for a team to be successful. A lineup like that is entirely too lopsided.

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

17. RocketsPimp

Forgot to add...

I'm going to school your ass on the court tomorrow!

[​IMG]

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Phoenix backcourt also had one of the better defensive players in the league in Jason Kidd. And Mobley at SF? Yikes. Guys like Sczerbiak, Odom, Mashburn, Rice, Reef, etc. would have a field day.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

19. himself

himself Member

Just for your info I like to let you know that Iverson will NEVER EVER be a rocket thank god.
    Clutch,would you please delete this crab.
    Thank you!!

------------------

20. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Only one ball

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight