1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

single malts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Palmray, Nov 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

Since many years I like a good glass of whisky and for about
    3 years I am into single malts from Scotland. Early September I
    was able to travel to Edinburgh and there I bought myself some nice bottles of this water of life.

Since then I bought myself more then 10 bottles and I guess I developped a new passion for this delicious stuff.

What I want to know, are there other single malt lovers on this board and what are your favourite malts? Mine are:

Ardbeg - Very Young, cask strenght
    Laphroaig - 10 years, cask strenght
    Highland Park - 12 years
    Springbank - 15 years
    Lagavulin - 16 years
    Lagavulin - distillers edition
    Glenscotia - 14 years
    Talikser - 10 years

The ones above are the ones I could afford a the moment.
    I really want to buy some rarer and older stuff soon.

Next friday I will go to a whisky festival I am waiting for almost 3 month now. Damn, I can't wait...........

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Did you see CBS Sunday morning? They did a segment on high-end Spirits with some focus on single malt scotches.

3. Palmray

No, it's not available in Switzerland (CBS). I only have CNN.
    Rockets fan since 1996 and only have seen about 6 games :( .

But I would have loved to see that special. damn.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Oops, didn't realize that you weren't in the US...

http://www.spiritjournal.com/

This is the website of the guy who was the featured guest on this segment. Evidently liquor is making a "hard" comeback in America.

I can't find a video link for the segment. Maybe one will show up on the SJ.com site sooner or later.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i'm just getting into scotch. for me, i stick with what i know (glenfiddich and glenlivet), but i had a real good glenmorangie (18 yr i think) the other day - real smooth.

but i'm just a rookie, so i don't know....

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Macallan 18 year old has long been the standard for sherry oaked single malts, but the price has gone up quite a bit lately. The 12 y/0 is also delicious. 2 other sherry oaked malts i recommend are The Singleton and the Glen Dronach- the latter is particularly rich and almost ruby red in color.

I also really like the Balvenie Double Wood, incredibly smooth, rich...My favorite peaty scotch is Lagavulin, famously described to me as "like sucking dirt through a garden hose", but particularly nice on a fridgid, icey february afternoon.

7. Palmray

Thanks, will check out the site.

Also here in Switzerland, there are many younger people getting interested in spirits.

8. Palmray

For starting the mentioned malts are good ones.
    You may also check out the

Balvenie - Double Wood
    Knockando - 10 years
    Highland Park - 12 years

For which I guess the Knockando will be the cheapest,
    followed by the Balvenie and the the Highland Park.

9. Palmray

I personally think the Macallan's are too expensive for what they bring the the table. They are very nice whisky's of course. The mentioned Glendronach is very good alternative to the Macallan.

Balvenie Double Wood, oh yes. Very fine. You should check out the Highland Park whisky, 12 or 18 years. Awesome!

And oh the Lagavulin. excellent. I like most Islay whisky's a lot but mostly Ardbeg; Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Caol Ila and yet to check out Bowmore (the darkest must be an excellent malt).

Nice description on the Lagavulin

:D

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i also recommend Sheep Dip, which, despite the name, is quite smooth, and reasonably priced! i had a bottle of another unusual one whose name escapes me now, but it is almost black in color, and incredibly smokey in character- not peaty, but almost like charcoal. ring any bells?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

#11 DaDakota, Nov 23, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

thanks for the recommendations; i'll have to give em a try.

a couple of my fraternity brothers and i have been spending a lot of time lately just sitting around sipping scotch listening ot music, mainly jazz (or watching all 3 seasons of "Arrested Development:D). it's like we're 50 years old.

13. Palmray

sheep dip - never heard; have to check it out.

About the smoky one, was it the Dalmore Cigar Malt? It's a very dark one. Here's a description:

The Dalmore Cigar Malt Highland Malt Whisky

Colour:
    Deep, golden mahogany.

Nose:
    Firm and positive. An outstanding array of malty congeners explode in a complex, distinguished manner. Elegant and refined. Pleasant notes of citrus, heavy fruits flaunt themselves in a stylish but forceful bouquet - yet an even balance prevails as the soft sherry tones complete this gallery of aromas.

Taste:
    The strong malty flavours tantalise the tongue - covering it with a cloak of classic flavours which linger long in the mouth. This outstanding taste is a perfect accompaniment with the finest of tobacco - both compliment each other. However, to fully appreciate these find attributes time must be allowed in the mouth - the repository of knowledge and fulfilment. A multitude of flavours rise to the occasion and generate a glowing aftertaste.

Another smokey one is the Caledonia. But I never had it.

14. Palmray

haha, just like me.........

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Hey guys...I actually know nothing about scotch, but I have been interested in giving this stuff a try. Can anyone make some reccomendations on a good but fairly inexpensive bottle to try out for someone that has no experience with it? I have no idea how much the stuff you are talking about costs, or if you can just buy it at any liquor store.

16. Palmray

ok, I will list below a buyers guide recommended for people who want to get into whisky. I will list some differently styles whisky's with some attributes for each whisky respectively a ranking for each whisky on the certain attribute. The more * it has to more the certain whisky goes in that direction (five * is the max):

1. Bushmills, 10 years old, single malt, ireland (north ireland), 40% / a nice complete whisky:
    peat/smoke flavour: -
    sherry/port flavour: **
    fruitiness: ***
    flowerness: *
    spices: -
    wood notes: -
    feeled acohol: ***
    price: **

The Bushmills is a malt for friends and lovers of a pure and dry malt-whisky. The feeled acohol is nice with sherry- and fruity notes.

2. The Glenlivet, 12 years old, single malt, scotland (speyside), 40% / a fruity and fresh malt:
    peat/smoke flavour: *
    sherry/port flavour: -
    fruitiness: ***
    flowerness: -
    spices: *
    wood notes: *

For someone who likes fruity and malty directness combined with vanilla-notes coming from the bourboncask-maturation will love the Glenlivet, 12 years.

3. The Macallan fine oak, 12 years old, single malt, scotland (speyside), 40% / a sherry-bourbon rounded malt:
    sherry/port flavour: ***
    fruitiness: *
    flowerness: **
    feeled acohol: **

People tend to say that this malt "tastes dangerously good", but in the case, this fine oak malt was made to be just like this and it stands the test with bravo.

4. Glenmorangie Port wood finish, single malt, scotland (highlands), 43% / a full, ripe and balanced malt:
    sherry/port flavour: ***
    fruitiness: **

Portwine and single malt whisky can succesfully be "married" as shown in this example is worth the price for beginners and enjoyers.

5. Highland Park, 12 years old, single malt, scotland (orkneys), 43% / a complex and complete malt:
    peat/smoke flavour: **
    sherry/port flavour: **
    price: ***

Honey, sherry and heather-notes resulut in a malt for bon-vivants who want to experience sweetnes from a differnt angle.

6. Talisker, 10 years old, single malt, scotland (skye), 45.8% / a lusty and complex malt - peppery taste:
    peat/smoke flavour: ***
    fruitiness: *
    spices: ***

Lots of pepper, a breeze of seasalt make the Talisker an exceptional malt with lots of body. Also for experient enjoyers always a malt of extra class.

7. Ardbeg, 10 years old, single malt, scotland (islay), 46% / a peaty and hearty malt - big:
    peat/smoke flavour: *****

For someone looking for a ethnic, strong peaty-smoky whisky which is also not hiding his alcohol will be right with this one. Nothing for small boys.

Soooo, This should help you find a malt of your interest. I mentioned some different whisky's representing some different styles and regions going from soft and mellow to strong and intense. Good luck and enjoy.

17. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

We still ahve about 20 sampler bottles from our trip to Scotland, but I'm not so fond of the single malts or Scotch for that matter; too medicinal. I prefer Irish whiskey, much smoother IMHO.

Also, anyone heard of using magnetic field to quickly 'age' the whiskey (or wine)? Just a gimic?

18. Palmray

to Cohen: For alot of people the scotish malts are too strong, too medicinal and all that BUT there are many very smooth scotisch whiskies. If I would be you I would try all the sample bottles you
    have from the scotland holidays. There should be some stuff you gonna love.

19. Palmray

What are these sample bottles for whiskies? Would you part with them?

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

saw the beer rating thread got bumped . . . any interest in reviving this one?

Last couple of winners have been the Ardberg An Oa and the Glenmorangie 18. Got the Glenmorangie at a NH state liquor store in December and my wife has already helped polish it off, and she doesn't even like scotch. very smooth. Have ordered several bottles more. Anyway. Always looking for new recommendations and descriptions.