1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

simmons 40 most untradeable

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, May 25, 2007.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Probably my favorite sports column is Bill Simmons' annual "40 most valuable players." I could only find last year's and 2003, 2002. I couldn't find 2004 or 2005, but I recall Yao had slipped a bit after a disappointing '05 only to jump back up to #4 last year. Wade got the top spot last year. McGrady fell to 13th.

I think Lebron will probably take #1 this year with Yao possibly moving up to #3 after a dominating 25/10 regular season. It's hard to tell where McGrady would rank - he proved he's healthy again and playing well, but he's getting older relatively speaking. I could see him towards the end of the top 15...

last year - 2006
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060707
    wade at #1, james at #2

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/030530 - 2003
    Duncan at #1

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020404 - 2002
    I couldn't find any of the others through search.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its funny to see Francis on those old lists. But he should still be on it. Because that contract is most definitely untradeable.

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Yao 2006 and Tmac 2002

Whoops I just wet myself.. :eek:

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think I like the 2003 TMac more... ;)

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

you need to read more sports columns...

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I agree with him also. It's not that Bill Simmons is some informed basketball wizard or anything, but his ability to crack jokes and trash every single player in the league is ridiculous. This annual column has me in tears everytime I read it. :)

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I could probably write a thesis on Francis' career. It's funny to think that people were raving about this guy 7 years ago maybe even more than they do now about Chris Paul. We're talking about a point guard in his second year almost leading his team to the playoffs and arguably considered the 2nd best point guard in the league after Kidd (Payton was declining). All he had to do was get the turnovers under control, learn the basics of playing point guard in the NBA, and he was Isiah Thomas in the making. Fast forward to now and the guy is about to be bought out.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It really is weird. He had the horrible year with Van Gundy but statistically thrived in Orlando for awhile. I remember him posting some exorbitant triple double his rookie year, something like 25, 17, 14. What happened?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Before his decline Steve was always an enigma. He was a point guard who was always a threat for a tripple double, yet rarely logged more than 10 assists. same with his scoring, he could average twenty but rarely would have what you would consider high scoring games. yet he was still inconsistent. and still at one point he was a top twenty player in the league, deserving of a max contract at the time.