1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silver: competition committee will look at whether divisions have outlived usefulness.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>On <a href="https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA">@SiriusXMNBA</a>, NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver said competition committee will look at whether divisions have outlived usefulness.</p>&mdash; Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/statuses/410143510109880320">December 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Divisions are cool. Giving the winner of a Division a guaranteed top 4 seed is ludicrous.

I think that the NBA might have to look at a redistribution of the Teams.

3. Raven

Raven Member

You can ask the same question about conferences.

1 person likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

14 western conference team playoffs

5. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I agree. Its ridiculous, especially considering that Boston is winning their division with a 10-12 record right now. No way they deserve home court advantage. That being said, neither does anyone else in the east other than Indy and Miami.

6. TheresTheDagger

If the playoffs started today, there are 5 teams in the E-League below .500 who would make the playoffs. There are also 3 teams in the west who would not qualify in the west, but would qualify in the east.

The problem is deeper than the worthless division designations. The NBA is consistently not getting the best 16 teams into the playoffs. This is the problem they need to deal with in the competition committee.

7. vince

vince Member

Time to let the best records make the playoffs. A shame that losing teams are invited to play in playoffs while winning teams watch all the action from home.

8. clippy

clippy Member

When were divisions ever useful?

9. StandontheLake

Hint: they have.

There's a lot of stuff that maybe could or should be done to make who gets into the playoffs, but have various downsides. There's no downside to eliminating divisions.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Back when teams used to play more games within their own division (i.e.- unbalanced schedule), it made "some" sense... as it did cut back on travel, especially when the Rockets were playing 6 games a year against the Spurs and Mavs each.

Conferences do still serve a purpose with the fact that team's schedule are unbalanced to more games played within each conference. If you got rid of conferences, every team would basically have to play as balanced as schedule as possible (For the Rockets, that means less games between current western conference teams, and more games against eastern conference teams).

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

In my view, divisions are meant to create rivalries due to playing eachother multiple times, however if you look at it, their isn't many rivalries based on division.

Perhaps my way of re distributing it would be to create 3 divisions for each Confrence, and based on were the team finished the year before would determine the divisions for the next year. This way the bad teams get to play eachother more in hopes that they have a fair competition and the top teams get more block buster games.

This year it would of been in the west.
    Division 1
    Okc
    Spurs
    Denvor
    Clippers
    Memphis

Division 2
    GSW
    Lakers
    houston
    Utah
    Dallas

Division 3
    Portland
    Minnesota
    Sacramento
    Pelicans
    Suns

I haven't seen someone suggest the system that I have came up with and I think it could really work

#11 Voice of Aus, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I thought divisions were created to save gas.

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Eliminating divisions wouldn't do anything b/c the entire Eastern Conference sucks. But these types of things generates potential rivalries.

What the NBA needs to do is to do something to generate pressure on these poorly run teams. These teams can't be satisfied being inept/mediocre. IT's not good for the fan base.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Silver looking to make a stamp on his tenure right away I see. I've no problem with eliminating divisions, which aren't worth much. Or, they can do something to make divisions meaningful again, but I don't see the point.

I don't agree with the group about eliminating conferences. The East will just have to find a way to be competitive.

:confused: What does a division do besides guaranteeing a top-5 seed for the winner?

15. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Technically they might not have home court advantage. Being the higher seed does not guarantee home court. Home court still goes to the team with the better record. Therefore, if Boston is 10-12 and division leader, making them the 4 seed, a 5 seed with a 11-11 record would still get home court.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I grew up with conferences. Bring em' back.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I wonder why people is complaining about conference and division when no 2 teams in the league have the same schedule...

Heat played with the Leastern teams more than any Western teams. And they won the home advantage which was crucial in winning it all.

18. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

These divisions also affect draft rankings, crappy teams in the east make the playoffs and so they do not enter draft lottery so they pretty much stay kinda crappy, while pretty good teams who barely miss the playoffs in the west get to draft in the lottery (pretty low in the lottery but still the lottery)...

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

IMO, get rid of the lottery and make the draft based only on record (regardless of making playoffs). Yeah it may encourage some teams to tank, but it would increase parity in the league.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed that a "division winner should not be guaranteed a top 4 seed."

I would change it to say a division winner is guaranteed a "playoff spot" and that is is.

If that team's division sucks and they are the 8th seed than so be it. But a crappy division winner should not get a "top 4 seed" over a good team (with a better record) that didn't win their division.