1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sign Sam Cassell as a player/assistant coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Apr 25, 2006.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

We need to sign Sam Cassell as a player/assistant coach. His leadership on the court really impresses me. With his toughness and leadership, he can fill in the role of Bob Sura who is probably done. If Cassell has two more good years left in him, I would love for him to help us to make a run at the championship along with Yao and Tmac.

Also, promise Sam a place as the assistant coach if he retires in two years, just like Dallas did to Avery Johnson. On last night's broadcast, they said Cassell made scouting report for the entire team, and in fact, he's acting like the assistant coach for Dunleavy already. If that's not leadership/coaching ability, I don't know what is. Based on his demeanor toward his teammates, you can tell he's already a coach. If JVG doesn't work out and we don't get PJ, groom Sam Cassell as our next coach would be a wise choice.

Here is how you sell the idea of returning to Houston to Cassell --- "Sam, if you can turn the CLIPPERS into a playoff team, Brand into a MVP contender and Kaman into a human, think about what you can do with yao and Tmac. Welcome back!"

#1 DeAleck, Apr 25, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I would kill to have a guy like Cassell on this team. Just look at this year's Clippers team vs. last year's, it's all the same guys minus Cassell and Mobley.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd be ok with that. of course it would be a dream to have him back here next year.

4. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I'd actually be surprised if the Rockets didn't make a serious run at Cassell because Van Gundy loves veterans and has come right out and said he wants point guards that are are better than anything we have. Sam freaking lives in this city and he's still a very effective player. Bring him back. He would make a great "third best" player.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont really see it happening, but does anyone think it will be harder to get him if the clips have a big run in the playoffs?

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how about we hire Mario as our assistant coach?

7. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Yeah, I'm not sure how the Clips pried him away from the Twolves after their playoff run...

$$$

8. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

What, is Scottie Brooks unavailable? Chili Pete?

What is he going to coach them? Pass it into Dream, when he kicks it back out, if Clyde isn't open - shoot the three? ;)

9. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

I think Twolves didn't make the playoff last year when ET was still there.

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Cassell wants to re-sign with the Clippers.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

sam is looking to get paid. he'll resign with the clips and if the rockets ever get him back, he'll be washed up...

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

didn't we almost get him for JHo before last years playoffs.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

wouldnt u prefer Vernon Maxwell tinman? :D

14. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

15. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

I'd love to have Cassell back, but not over Sura.. what's up with everybody forgetting Bobby and saying that he is done ?? the dude aint done, he will be back next season and he will be full speed... the man is a warrior, he will never give up and I am sure he'll come back...

Sam would be good as a player, but as a coach ?? r u serious /?? u r planning to replace JVG with a current player ??
    coaching is not about leadership, coaching is about IQ and understanding of the game, and u can rarely find a real good coach who Played well in the NBA.(I know y'all will start saying Rudy, Avery, and the rest of the guys .. I know them all and I know how good they are, but we dont need this kind of coach).
    we need a basketball freak like D'antoni who uderstands the game and gets the right players...

16. tinman

Supporting Member

scottie brooks is an assistant on denver
    mario is an assistant on Golden State
    chris jent was an assistant in orlando.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

we need max back. he's better than barry bonds.
    maxwell may have slapped some beatches, but he never cheated.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

injuries. contract disputes. internal problems.
    not cassell's fault.

19. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

Once again you dont know what you are talking about.

20. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

No. It'll be pass it in to Yao, when he kicks it back out, if T-mac isn't open - shoot the three :p