1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

*Sign* . . . I am officially a Texan Fan

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have been skeptical of the Texans since the beginning.
    The consistantly made imo Decisions I did not like
    Didn't like the name TEXANS [liked the Apollos]
    Didn't like Bust-Celli as the 1st suplimental draft pick [wanted Jeff Blake]
    Didn't want David Carr [Wanted Peppers]
    Didn't want Mario [They made a good call]

Overall . . What I am saying I have been slow to get on the bandwagon
    During the seasons . . I try to be fair . . I try to not dog them out
    [I still like VY . . . ]

But . . I find I am saying WE more than THE TEXANS
    I find I am paying more attention to them . . .
    I am actually listening and routing for them to do something

The Texans have officially SUCKED ME IN!!!

I am listening to the talk radio and fricking posting in the football
    forum more and more. . . .

I have not been this invested in football since the Oilers left

*sigh*

Rocket River
    I have no idea what to do about it

anyone have a 12 step program???

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

You are about to become a very lonely guy. Unless the Texans bring in a new coaching staff, with a new plan, a few new players (especially on defense) and a new attitude, the ship is going to be sparsely populated as it slowly sinks into obscurity and irrelevance. Delusional owners are not good at pro sports. The Texans have run out of "good will" chips and I predict that the paper bags will be out soon.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

no . . . I think we all will convert to from Texan Fans .. to DISGRUNTLE ANGRY TEXAN FANS!

Rocket River

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

yeah im with you on this one.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

There will continue to be plenty of Texan fans. There will be big changes made on defense in the off season, whether Kubiak stays or leaves. Next August, fans will be excited to see what the "new" defense can do, just like they are every year.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All you need to become invested (emotionally) in a team is time.

If the team is successful, you speed up the process infinitely (and get a few bandwagoners on board), but you still need time.

The Texans have been around long enough now. In another 10 years, they will likely be the most popular Houston team (if they aren't already), win or lose.

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Umm, you aren't from around here, are ya? Football is so big in Houston that the Texans were automatically the most popular team as soon as they came to town. However, they are risking their fan base with this continued suckitude - we are fair-weather fans in this town.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I am most defnitely from here.

Yes, I do realize how big of a draw football is here... but the Texans were not as popular as the Oilers were from day one. They likely weren't even as popular as the Cowboys or Titans were around these parts on day one.

By the time the "expansion" newness wore off, the team was horrible again... that didn't help. Also, the Astros big playoff runs of 04 and 05 kept them as the most popular Houston team of the mid 2000's.

But more time, and just a little bit more success, and they will cement themselves as the most popular game in town... again, win or lose.

9. foo82

foo82 Member

I'm pretty much the same way. I didn't start following the Texans or any football for that matter until Bush bowl. I stopped following NFL after the oilers left. Even though they still suck, I'm following them quite a bit now.

10. TISNF

TISNF Member

Interesting about the "expansion" perspective. I always felt strangely uncomfortable with expansion/relocated franchises in any sport) having early success. Kind of like the Jaguars/Panthers/Diamondbacks...even the Ravens and Browns (when they finally made the playoffs).

(I should say the Avalanche winning in '96 seemed to fit fine.)

With the Texans sucking so much for so long, I think it's at the point where, when the team finally does win, it will actually be authentic-feeling. It's awful for Texans fans to hear, but I propose a new rule: as part of a "hazing" ritual, a new franchise is not allowed success until ~8-14 year mark. That way they can build a real fan base and, when they do win, it will be with homegrown talent.

Also, I should add that the Texans shouldn't be allowed success if they insist on wearing those gaudy all-red get ups. Yuck.

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I find myself in the same position..

The Texans for a long while have been a joke. But the last 2 seasons or so they have really got me excited about them. I used to ONLY watch them because of Andre Johnson, but now i'm excited with all the weapons we have as a team..

It's unfortunate that we have a coach that's inept, but I too am offically a die-hard Texan fan. I find myself defending the Texans at any chance I get, even though our record is completely sub-par.

With that said, I will continue to root for my Texans.

The ONLY thing that might cause me to lose interest is if Mcnair decides to keep Kubiak...

I sure hope we get a new head coach. Hopefully Cowher!!

12. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I was in a similar mindset as well, but I started following this team when we traded for Schaub in 2007.

I really don't know what I'd do if Uncle Bob calls the fans' bluff and doesn't fire Kubiak+Bush/hire someone like Cowher.

13. Breaker

Breaker Member

"Welcome to the Hotel Hell. Check-in time is now, check-out time is never."

14. Apps

Apps Member

Man, I've been with this team since Year 1, and I'm sticking with them. They're my team and I've grown attached. The only (or at least one of the only) thing I want, and I think that this is just as important as a winning season and a PO appearance, is for this team to create an image for itself!

I want these guys to be tough, blue-collared, rough neck players that get out there and play some hard-nosed football. Offense is second priority for me, which is what makes this team as it is so hard for me to like.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You sounds like a COWHER man!

Rocket River

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Sports are about vicarious emotional stimulation. Much as any press is good press, any deeply felt emotion is stimulating, elation or dissatisfaction. We are free to rage about it with no negative repercussions. We can tribally bond over outrageous misfortune as well as shared victory.

i.e. Cubs fans

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sports isn't about winning to me, it's about having fun.

I'll say this much, the Texans are fun to watch (most times), despite the soul crushing ending. It's like a rollercoaster ride that ends with you getting kicked in the balls. But up until that moment, it sure is exciting.

For that, I am happy.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Took me a while too, but all these horrible endings reminds me so much of the Oilers I just had to jump on board.

It seemed so familiar !

DD

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What kind of man is sucked in by 5-10 with torturous losses. Why take that pain?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They could be going 1-15 all these years, and they still would have garnered some deep-rooted support due to them simply being the home team from a city that worships football.

And, if they can get this sort of following with mediocre seasons, could you imagine the fervor that develops if this team ever becomes a true contender?

Houston is a bandwagon down... but when it comes to football, the wagon turns into the titanic.