1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sign 2: Jim Jackson and Chris Gatling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Baqui99, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Okay, realistically, we may not be able to sign Chris Webber. So, as an alternative, I say we sign a couple of role players to round out this team. Keep in mind Shandon might be out, too.

Jim Jackson will be a free agent this summer and shouldn't command more than $5 million a season. He's a big guard like Shandon who can play both 2 and 3. I know he's played on 7 different teams in 9 seasons, but he'd be the perfect 6th man. He can come off the bench and provide a spark, he plays decent defense and can post up if needed.

Chris Gatling, another longtime journeyman can also rebound and score off the bench. He can play PF and C. He'd be a great replacement for Carlos Rogers who probably won't be here after this season. These two would make our team much deeper and we could rely on our bench to pick up when our starters are playing poorly. Depth is very important in the West and we'd be alot better with these two guys.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

2. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Please no Chris Gatling. If you think that Mobley is a black hole, wait until you see Gatling.

------------------
    Little O

3. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

And just WHY can we not realistically sign Chris Webber??? [​IMG] BOLLOCKS!!!

I live right by Clevesuck, and I have to watch those 2 bums play all the time. NO WAY do we want them.

------------------
    I want to live on an abstract plain!!!

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Please no Gatling.

I am not even sure I would want JJ for a back up guard. But if we lost Shandon and he was willing to come in at the right price and be happy as a back up I might consider it.

------------------

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I actually like Gatling's game....and when he plays within the system, he is very effective. He does have a tendency to hog the ball a little.

JJ just cannot seem to fit in anywhere he goes....and he is talented. I thought he would give Cleveland exactly what they needed...a scorer. But he hasn't pulled through for them yet.

I would actually pass on both of them, and I am willing to bet that Rudy would too.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited March 06, 2001).]

6. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I think J.J. wouldnt be a bad pickup. If he found some stability he could be a nice player.
    Gatling, to me is another Walt. No way one Walt is already too much.

------------------
    "Stop your grinnin' and
    drop your linen"
    -Hudson

7. DJ

DJ Member

What makes you think Carlos Rogers would not be with the Houston Rockets next year?

------------------

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I think he previously stated that he'd like to sign with Detroit during the off season.

------------------
    The season's halfway over...and I still need that keg of Pepto-Bismol.