1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI: TMac admits he "slacked off" in Orlando

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Jan 8, 2005.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryS0108MAGICNOTES.htm

Former Magic star admits he 'slacked off'

BY JOHN DENTON
    FLORIDA TODAY

ORLANDO -- This might not come as a newsflash to Magic fans who endured last year's dreadful 21-61 season, but former Orlando guard Tracy McGrady is admitting now that he didn't always play hard.

In a feature story in this week's Sports Illustrated, McGrady admitted that he was so defeated mentally by the losing that "some nights I did slack off" and also "I'm not going to sit here and say I played my hardest every night." McGrady said he did not trust his teammates on last season's team and that part of his motivation in leading the NBA in scoring was to protect his image as one of the league's elite players.

"Some nights I did slack off -- and I knew that was a terrible thing to do -- and I still was slacking off," McGrady told SI. "That feels so bad. And I'm the leader, these guys are following my lead, so the whole team suffers even worse. That was wrong. Now, I would do it differently. I learned. I have to bust my butt no matter what. Last year was the worst experience of my life. And I learned. And believe me, I'm grateful for this opportunity here."

By here, McGrady is referring to Houston, where he was traded to the Rockets along with Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines on June 29. The Magic acquired Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in the deal.

The Magic started last season 1-19 and never recovered. McGrady still managed to lead the NBA in scoring a second consecutive season, averaging 28 points a game with a 62-point effort against Washington. He demanded a trade in the offseason, and was ultimately shipped to Houston.

"It's all about how you handle the situation," McGrady said. "Last year I lead the league in scoring. If I had been on a bad team and had a bad year statistically, then you would have seen my image collapse. I had to lead the league (in scoring)."

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Well, since we are all adimiting stuff, let me tell you that I ....

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is that supposed to be a surprise?

Hopefully he doesn't pull that ish here...

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

First Carter, now McGrady, now what?

Kidd? Mourning? for wanting to be traded this year?

Baron Davis? Peja? every other player who demanded to be traded?

PLEASE, get paid millions, thats the least you can do for your fans, owners, teammates, and mainly, yourself.

I give props to Carter and Tmac though, at least they admitted it. Hell, I wouldnt have... :)

5. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

did he play hard in houston????

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think if I knew my team sucked and would not make the playoffs no way no how, I would not play much either.

But with that being said, it seems to be the new method used by star players around the league to get traded: not giving it their all. Namely Kidd and what he is doing in NJ now, Carter and what he did in Raptors, etc.

Just accept it guys, there are no Jordans anymore in this league. And while I think the talent level in the NBA is higher than ever before, the work ethics and "heart" of players in the league is just not there anymore, whether it is Kobe playing for a personal vendetta against some player (Ray-Ray, Shaq) or Kidd tanking it to get traded.

I think the only player who is "old fashioned" in the league today is Tim Duncan, and I think that is clearly the embodiement of everything we want all our players to be. But sadly they are a rare breed this new generation of players...

7. munco

munco Member

I don't understand how this is news. Every single player, employee, etc. slacks off some times. No one ever gives 100%. Doesn't matter if you're a NBA player, a police officer, a lawyer, etc. If these players said I give 100% every night I'd say that's outrageous but what T-Mac and VC have admitted is just being truthful.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

One player who gives it all out on the court is KG. He isn't the strongest 4 by any means and his team is struggling but he tries hard every night.

9. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

This is obviously true, but why are Tmac and Carter being dumb enough to admit it?

10. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Because it was so obvious. Everyone knew he was slacking off. There's no point in denying it. In that case, if you humble yourself, own up to your mistakes, fans might forgive you.

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

All true.

And what about how players can suddenly give more than their most when they play their old teams? Did Barkley average 33 boards every night? :)

12. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

T-Mac is an idiot. If you slacked off at your last job, would you tell the people at your next job that you slacked off [and that's why the company went bankrupt]...I know I wouldn't.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yes but how many of those guys get paid as much as Tmac does?

14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Didn't he talk about quitting when the Magic were in the middle of a long losing streak early last year? Seems like he had some sort of meltdown...

I wonder if Yao and Tracy know what they want...

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Do you know how many FT did he get last night vs the Lakers? ZERO. And his counter part, Bryant went to the line TEN times.

I don't know what to say.:confused:

16. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Realistically, through preseason and an 82 game season, an NBA player would need to pace himself to some degree to have anything in the tank for the playoffs. You can't expect any player to play at a playoff level every single game.

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I slacked off atimes on this BBS.

That is why my posts atimes make you want to strangle throw your monitor. I do not always bring my best when flower forwards play true to form and the other fellas just can't knock open jumpers for us. I hope this is not a problem in Clutch's eyes.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I would watch games last year because T-Mac was on my roommates fantasy team and I had Dirk and he wanted Dirk for T-Mac.

A typical Magic game would start off like:

T-Mac sets up teammate for wide open jumper. Jumper missed.
    Other team's big man gets a layup.

T-Mac zips pass down low to open big man teammate. Teammate fumbles pass out of bounds.
    Other team's big man gets a layup.

T-Mac drives and dishes for another open jumper. Teammate airballs.
    Other team gets a layup.

T-Mac says "f you all" and starts jacking up threes and averages 30 pts per game.

I always made fun of my roommate and said things like, "too bad the Magic suck or he'd be averaging 10 dimes a game." And since no one was taking the pressure off of him and also because of the introduction of zone defences, T-Mac shooting went from like 45% to 40%.

It was obvious to astute hoops fans, and to lay hoops fans that T-Mac lost faith in his team last year.

Even through tough stretches this year, T-Mac has not shown an ounce of quit yet. I've seen passion and determination and emotion, even through his laid back demeanor. He gets mad when he makes mistakes. He believes the Rockets can win and he still believes in Van Gundy.

When that faith is gone, it will be obvious and the Rocks will be in a lot of trouble. Let's hope that never happens to T-Mac. It has already happened to other players on this team...ahem Mo Taylor.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member