1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] The power of two: Rockets still have high hopes for Yao-McGrady pairing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

The power of two
    Rockets still have high hopes for Yao-McGrady pairing

After sputtering to a 13-15 start, an opening to the season that earned "Most Disappointing" honors from nearly every corner of the sports media universe, the Rockets have spun off seven wins in their last 11 games. A modest profit, to be sure, but one more befitting a team expected to contend in the Western Conference after winning 52 games last season.

While the schedule has softened during that 7-4 run, the Rockets' improved play has come at a curious time: It has coincided with an injury to star guard Tracy McGrady, sidelined since Dec. 23 with a bone bruise and strained tendons in his left knee. With each Houston victory sans its seven-time All-Star, fans and league insiders ponder whether the Rockets are finally finding their rhythm in spite of McGrady's absence or because of it.

"I don't know if he's completely sold on everything that's going on with the team," one NBA scout said of McGrady. "His body language would tell you that he's not bright-eyed and bushy-tailed all the time about doing what he's doing. I would think the best thing for that team in the long run is to split up [McGrady and Yao Ming]."

It's the sort of speculation that gives rise to headlines such as "Who needs McGrady?" and "Rockets can win with, without hurt McGrady." But it isn't the type of speculation that has Houston's front office contemplating life without him long-term (McGrady was targeting Saturday's game against San Antonio for his return before struggling in practice Thursday).

"We had a lot of people telling us to trade Yao Ming when we played well when he went out last year," general manager Daryl Morey said. "The talk about Tracy is similarly ridiculous. Trading Tracy is not a consideration."

Nor would it be easy to deal a player due more than $44 million over the next two seasons after this one.

Economics aside, the Rockets appear poised to stay the course with one of the game's most gifted offensive talents for more philosophical reasons.

Though the Rockets' playing rotation hasn't changed significantly from 2006-07 -- they did add Argentine forward Luis Scola and welcome back swingman Bonzi Wells from his season-ending banishment -- their plan of attack has. Gone is the defense-first Jeff Van Gundy calling out almost every play offensively and defensively; in is "a concerted effort to push the ball more and get more movement in our game," according to new coach Rick Adelman.

"Jeff did a great job of laying the foundation defensively, and we've been pretty consistent on that end this year," Adelman said. "But every coach is going to do things a little different offensively, and it's been an adjustment for everybody."

McGrady and the Rockets have learned that adjustment takes time. While the new emphasis on offense should appeal to his inner scorer, McGrady's output (22.8 ppg) has dipped to its lowest level since his last season in Toronto, in 1999-2000. And the Rockets averaged 94 points a game over the first two months, down three points from last season's production under Van Gundy.

"There's an assumption that every year you have continuity," forward Shane Battier said. "That's not the case, even for the really good teams. You have to form your identity every single year because of personnel changes, coaching changes, etc. Even though we had a lot of talent coming back, it takes a while to mold that.

"We've gone from a grind-it-out style to a much more open, flowing offense where reads are paramount. Coach Adelman wants to get it up and attack quickly; last year we sent three guys back every shot. And though it's something we practice every day, it's still not a habit every single night, but we're doing a much better job of it."

Just as important, the Rockets have done a better job lately of converting those forays to the basket, an interesting development considering there likely are fewer open shots with only one consistent offensive weapon in the lineup.

"We're actually running our offense now," point guard Rafer Alston said. "Everybody had to figure out that you have to move the ball and move your body. You've got to pass, you've got to cut, you've got to screen, and if you do those things you're going to get some good looks at the basket.

"And we also have our superstar, Yao. When he's dominating a game from start to finish, you know all you have to do is run a play for him and they're going to have to double- or triple-team him, and all you have to do is get your hands and feet ready to shoot the ball after the double team."

Therein lies the reason, argue some scouts, that Houston has converted 48.2 percent from the field in January after clanging away at 43-plus percent in November and December: It's not only a matter of comfort but also of personnel.

"When McGrady went out, that let the Rockets play more around Yao and get the ball into Yao first and let everybody play around him," the scout said. "Tracy needs the ball in his hands from a mental aspect more than anything else. He's not content playing off of other people and making cuts and making reads. He'd rather create with the dribble than create away from the ball. So if he's in and he gets a rebound, he's not passing it and getting it out of his hands; he's bringing the ball up and then calling a play for himself."

Does that smack of selfishness? Sure. But it also reflects the reality of the Rockets' lineup: Their starting point guard, Alston, is a career 38.6 percent shooter; their starting small forward, Battier, is shooting only 41.8 percent this season; and their starting power forward, Chuck Hayes, has never averaged more than 5.6 points in his three seasons.

"Frankly, we've missed Tracy terribly even though we've played well [in his absence]," Morey said. "We especially miss him at the end of games. It's often hard to get the ball to Yao; he's going to be double-teamed or fronted, and none of the rest of our guys have the experience of being the go-to guy. We've gotten lifts from various guys each night, but it's not something we can count on."

But it is something that has the Rockets no longer talking about fitting in around McGrady, but having him fit in with the team.

"Tracy's a smart player, so he understands the rhythm of what we're doing," Alston said. "We know at any time we can just slow it down a little bit and run four or five straight sets for Tracy and he'll deliver."

Indeed, McGrady is one of a handful of players in the league who has the talent to single-handedly bend a game to his will, an asset few teams have -- and no champion is without at least a pair. Magic had Kareem. Jordan had Pippen. Shaq had Kobe. Duncan has Parker and Ginobili. That history isn't lost on the Rockets' decision makers, who also undoubtedly realize those relationships aren't always smooth, but they work if given time, which Houston seems willing to offer -- at least for now.

[​IMG]

With Yao Ming dominating the paint to the tune of 25 ppg in January, the Rockets' shooters have had a lot of open looks.

[​IMG]
    As dapper as Tracy McGrady has looked while recovering from a left knee injury, his Rockets have looked even better.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow, is that actually an article that is somewhat positive?!? Nice to see something different for a change.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

DennisCD clearly wrote this

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there is still a chance for the rockets to make a drastic turn around and if there is one team in the league capable of it, they are the most likely. I'd imagine thats why SI wrote it.

5. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

How can you have hope in two players that don't have hope in themselves?

6. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

That was deep :D

7. suxx0011

suxx0011 Member

Tracy is just not a tough guy that needed to lead this team. Too many excuses, giving people the impression he has been trying to tank the season ...

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't see how that's a positive article. It's a great one though. Basically points out that McGrady better get it in gear or all the hard work everyone else is putting in is going to go to waste.

9. trochili

trochili Member

From Tracy's interview, I can judge he has totally lost feeling for Rockets and his teammates, he can't help to smile when talking about lost to Hornets. It would be better to trade him, or trade Yao.

10. bbjai

bbjai Member

gees

how about you read my mind too?

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i still believe in tracy. i've talked to a few lakers fans tonight and they admit that tracy is a top 3 player when he's healthy. and i think he will be after all this rest.

i fell he's had something to prove. he has never had this much criticism since the 03-04 season and he did well in 04-05.

tmac has understood the team has played well WITHOUT him. he'll be back trying to make them better rather than trying to do it himself.

tmac is one of 2-3 players who can absolutely dominate a game/change a game by himself. kobe and lebron are the two others. so u will always need a tmac. and this break is good. i think it has rejuventated him.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's a change from all the negative articles that bash the Rockets and say we need to trade one of our stars or that our season is done. Also, I find it hilarious that a non-negative thread can only muster 10 post. If this thread of titled "The Unpower of two: Rockets have no hopes for Yao-Mcgrady pairing", it'll already be a 8-10 page thread. Make it seems like fans rather b**** and moan than to praise and keep faith. Nothing new though, it's always been that way with Houston fans.

13. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

This was clearly written before taking into account the last two devastating losses. The writer only updated our record for his story.

14. suxx0011

suxx0011 Member

All bull****, McGrady will be traded before the start of next season for sure. Whatever Rockets say that they want to keep him together with Yao is just smoke ... who would want to devalue an item before trading it?

15. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

This is exactly what I've been saying. That Tracy doesn't know how or what to play off the ball and that doesnt fit in with the way Adelman wants this team run. It's kinda of like(and these are my own words), How am I suppose to play without the ball? This is where the me-mac comes from. I personally feel that this tandem is not going to work, because Tracy doesn't want to be second fiddle to anyone.

I also feel that if any team can turn around a season it's this one, but that would require Tracy to swallow his pride and play within his role. Time is running out and IMO if this season doesn't work out or turn around soon Tracy is gone. Tracy is not a player you can build around, he still might be young but he's played what like 11 or 12 years and he seems to be injured almost as much as he healthy, plus he's a big distraction. I do feel the Rockets and Yao need him or someone to take some of the pressure off Yao. I just hopes he steps up.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope he proves me and I the doubters wrong, for the sake of the Rockets and all Rockets fans.

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

a healthy/rejuvinated t-mac is a mythical creature that appears once in a blue moon. when was the last time t-mac has dominated a game by himself? i can only recall the playoff series against dallas that was two years ago, and we dont have that t-mac anymore.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

When we were 6-1, Tracy was playing out of his mind. Racking up a ton of points while shooting a high percentage. The one game that comes to mind is when he dropped 47 on Utah like it was nothing. It's a rarity, but a healthy T-Mac is a Top 5 Player in the NBA.

18. bbjai

bbjai Member

i think most of the fans here have forgotton the beginning of the season

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank goodness management is wise enough to stay the course and not give up on these two.

I think it would be a collosal mistake to trade either Yao or T-mac until we're ready to throw in the towel on the entire team and start anew.