1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] St. Joe's won't release me to play at UAB and I don't know why

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by HI Mana, Dec 20, 2011.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Very interesting and disturbing story; basically this benchwarming center at Saint Joseph's graduated with a year of eligibility left; after realizing that he probably wasn't going to get playing time, he decides to transfer to UAB and get a grad degree, and play out his final year of eligibility. Not a huge deal, there's a specific NCAA waiver for this exact situation.

However, he did something to piss off Phil Martelli, and what should have been a fairly easy process has now become the first time a player has ever been denied a transfer request because his former team won't release him, seemingly based purely on vindictive spite and sour grapes. The official reason Saint Joe's gave was that the move was more athletic then academically motivated; but here's the kicker: Saint Joe's and UAB don't play this year, and aren't in the same conference! Not to mention, this is a guy who played under 10 minutes a game, not Andre Drummond.

I know it's only one side of the story, but it certainly seems like a pretty compelling side thus far. This kid definitely has a little dirt on him, considering he was suspended last year in conjunction with laptop theft, and I'm sure he's not the high minded academic scholar he purports himself to be, but if he was such a horrible human being, wouldn't Saint Joseph's be happy to pawn him off on another team? Or at least write down any reason why they refuse to give him his release?

Honestly, the NCAA should be looking much more closely on abusive practices such as this, as well as over-signing and forced transfers, rather than worry about paying players stipends.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/12/19/todd.obrien/index.html

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yeah, i was going to post this here this morning. what a messed up system. hopefully more and more people will start talking about this and force st. joe's hand.