1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Scola, Not Your Average NBA Rookie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Aug 7, 2007.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

SI did not make the mistake... their use of punctuation is accurate, click the original link

2. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Was looking at Scola's stats. He's not a particularly strong rebounder which doesn't bode well for him. What we really need is rebounding more than anything. Scola is a scorer in the Euroleagues.

3. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

On the Argentinian team, how did Oberto compare with Scola? Was Scola the first option down low, or was Oberto?

4. scola

scola Member

Scola is not a great rebounder, but when you look at FIBA stats, you have to take into account that the scores are much lower than in the NBA and that the players tend to play less minutes per game than NBA players.

Scola is the second offensive threat of the Argentine team. Ginobili being the first.

5. HakeemTheDream1

Scola is the height of a typical power forard at 6'8 3/4". Karl Malone is 6'8", Chris Webber is 6'9", Carlos Boozer and Elton Brand are both just under 6'8".

6. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Realistically, I think Scola might just average a shade under 7 RPG in the league. He averaged what? 6-ish in the Euroleague? Factoring in his height - he's listed at 6'9", which is merely adequate in today's NBA; his prior situation - reduced minutes in international style of play; and his rep - known more for his scoring skills than his defense and rebounding...suffice to say, he'll be an upgrade over Juwan Howard in the rebounding department for sure, which is to say he won't be mediocre, perhaps even bordering on acceptable to good. But I don't think he'll give as much impact rebounding-wise as Chuck Hayes did for us this past year.

7. Coca Cola Scola

Scola was still top 10 in rebounding in his league last year, so he's not terrible. Plus, they play less minutes....so it's 6 rebounds in 26 or so minutes, not the 33 that a starter would have gotten. Let's just wait and see. I think his tremendous post skills, passing and a nice mid-range jumper will really help out the team.

8. Coca Cola Scola

So Shane Battier is close to 6'9 3/4 or 6'10" with shoes and Yao is like 7'6 1/2 to 7'7" with shoes.... I thought Tmac was 6'8" or 6'9" as the press likes to report him as....guess not. Bonzi is a lot taller than I thought....I guess it's his roundish boyish face that doesn't make him look tall....but, he's tall enough to play small forward.....he's only an inch shorter than Tmac.
    Scola is big enough for our purposes. He's at least 3 1/2 inches taller than Chuck Hayes, 2 inches taller than Haslem, 1 inch taller than Boozer and Karl Malone, and about the same height as Dwight Howard... Plus, he's got tremendous skills and basketball IQ and very active.

By the way, what's Landry, Novak and Butler's real height without shoes?

9. HakeemTheDream1

Battier is 6'9 1/2" with shoes. Yao measured 7'6 1/4" with shoes however the Rockets claim the 7'5" measurement was a mistake and he was actually 7'5 1/2" at the time before growing to 7'6" barefoot so maybe he is 7'6" barefoot making him 7'7 1/4" in shoes! Scola is also an 1 1/4 inches taller than Elton Brand who is 6'7 1/2"

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Landry is 6'8" and Harris is 6'6" I believe

11. scola

scola Member

Argentina played against Brazil in the "Marchand Continental Cup" in Puerto Rico.

Brazil played without Nene and Leandrinho. Argentina won 75-67.

The match ended a minute ago.

Scola was the leader of the game in points (23) and rebounds (12).

You can watch the (live) stats and scores of the tournament in this site:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/esp/fe/07/fibaAmer/tutoCup/news/lateNews/news.asp

12. Coca Cola Scola

Is Landry 6'8" with shoes or without shoes?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tmac was only 18 when he was drafted, he probably grew a couple of inches since then.

DD

14. onethreeeleven

OT but this thought just crossed my mind...

What are all these people who've made their handles on this board refer to Luis Scola going to do if he ends up sucking? Do we seriously have Scola-Only-Fans here?

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

that's without shoes

16. akuma

akuma Member

Shane Battier is taller than Elton Brand? who says that Shane doesn't have the size to play PF at least some of the time?

17. Coca Cola Scola

Wow. So, Landry isn't as short as everyone thinks he is....if he's 6'8" without shoes. That's the same size as Boozer. Is Elton Brand 6'7" without shoes or 6'8"... This with/wihout shoes is confusing since different players put down their with shoes/without shoes height. KG, Shaq and Yao seem to be the few that put down their legit without shoe heights.

18. Dei

Dei Member

I read some post here saying he's 6'7" without shoes, 6'8 1/2" with shoes.

The most common value I'm getting of Scola's listed height is 206 cm. Convert that to inches and that's approx. 81.1. That's 6'9.1". He should be listed 6'10" with shoes easy, maybe 6'11" if the soles are thick enough. Tall, and from what I'm seeing regarding his build and ability, he's a finesse, skill-based player, but isn't soft and does not hesitate to use his body. Plus, he's a bonafide winner. You can't get a higher pedigree.

19. Dei

Dei Member

:eek: How the hell did that happen?

Tracy looks way taller than Kobe and LeBron in pictures. Is it just because he's leaner?

I agree he's shorter than Shane though (which is good rather than the other way around ala Stromile).

20. Coca Cola Scola

Scola definitely uses his body a lot...I wouldn't say finesse because he attacks the rim and puts his bod into people to draw contact alot. He's probably a mix of both....
    I always thought Tmac was 6'8"....he looks taller than Kobe and about the same as Lebron. He probably did grow since 18....so it's better to get pictures of him standing next to Vince, Kobe, Lebron in a Rockets uniform as opposed to one where he was in Toronto's....