1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Rockets in prime position, even without Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 20, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/07/20/rockets-in-prime-position-even-without-yao/

Not sure why Lowe brought up us trading away the Grizzlies pick, though not mentioning Jonny Flynn. Otherwise I think it's pretty spot on.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The guy is wrong about Scola's contract. The last season, the one where he says "it could carry as much as $11 million in guaranteed money in 2014-15," is simply wrong. Scola's last season is only partially guaranteed. I don't recall the figure, but it is a small fraction of that $11 million-plus.

3. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

4. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah we should be able to win 52+ games and that would be enticing for a Howard to sign with us. The future is pretty bright. I think he's overestimating the trade value of Scola and Martin though.

5. SunsRocketsfan

the future is not bright at all.. .
    the clippers have a brighter future than us at this point.... THE CLIPPERS!

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Actually, he's right. :)

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/rockets.jsp

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think the whole trading for a superstar ship has sailed..

The only two superstars that I see hitting the trade market are Chris Paul and Dwight Howard, and their's to much competition (in offers) for those guys, for us to actually land them.

I think the Clippers with Minny's unprotected 2012 pick and the Nets with Brook Lopez and picks, trump any offer we can make.

Sadly our only hope of landing Chris Paul or Dwight Howard is through free agency..

9. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

The last year of his contract is based on performance. By looking at his numbers and the amonut of min and games he has played, im sure he is meeting most of his requirements. That's means he would most like get the bulk of the 11 million if he continue like this.

I also heard that Kyle Lowry was offered a similar contract. I guess he wasn't feeling it

10. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

All this stuff may be true, but until we actually land a superstar we're not going to be very successful.

11. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

yes Rockets are a team to watch but

How many games will be on national TV?

1 or 2 in 3 years?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

I have my doubts. Counting on these 2009 draft busts "we're" collecting to turn into something? Landing a superstar? Good luck. I'll believe it when I see it.

13. lalala902102001

Landing a superstar is easier said than done. You have to get very lucky for a superstar to fall into your laps via trade and/or FA (unless your team locates in Florida or NY). The best way to land a superstar is via draft. Unfortunately being the best bad team in the NBA the Rockets have not put themselves in a position to land a top pick in the draft. We are officially stuck in mediocrity.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I hope so, but almost every team has a so-called star player, the rockets are only one of a few teams that do not have a star player, getting one from a trade has been proved to be a wrong approach.

15. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Paul and Howard may be the only true-blue Superstars that may be hittin the trade market, but there is all star quality players that may come available.

Iggy
    Granger
    J.Smith
    Bosh
    Ellis
    Odom
    D.Jordan
    Nene
    Beasly

Not saying they are all players that we want to go after, but they are players with high levels of talent

16. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

how so?

17. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

josh smith like the only nba superstar that said he wanted to play for houston................

18. parmesh

parmesh Member

Go **** Yao self.

Have some respect for the man.

19. delishman

delishman Member

So..

we still don't have a superstar willing to come to Houston.

20. cod

cod Member

CF's the only place where Josh Smith is called a superstar.