1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI]Mutombo hosts Clinton at Congo hospital

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Aug 10, 2009.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/08/10/clinton.mutombo.ap/index.html

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) -- Former professional basketball star Dikembe Mutombo gave U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton a guided tour Monday of a hospital he founded in his native Congo.

Mutombo, who played 18 seasons in the NBA, smiled playfully at infants in a maternity ward and explained why he donated $19 million of his own money to fund the Kinshasa facility named for his late mother.

"This hospital was such a dream and today it is becoming a reality and so important to so many people," the 42-year-old Congo native said. "We think that Congolese people deserve better health care and we hope that what we are doing here is setting an example so that people can have hope."

Dwarfed by the 7-foot-2 Mutombo, Clinton was clearly impressed by the Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital, which opened in December 2007. She recalled having met Mutombo's mother in 1994 when the basketball star visited the White House while she was first lady.

"For me, it's like coming full circle having met his mother and knowing how much she inspired and supported him," she said. "Now he has taken his extraordinary success as a basketball player and has one of the biggest foundations in Africa, working not only here in his home country but around the continent to help provide services to people."

"It's a great tribute to his mother and to the values she raised him with," Clinton said.

Later, at a town hall meeting with students at a Kinshasa college, Mutombo said he had been moved to build the hospital after his mother, who lived just outside the Congolese capital, died in 1998 because a curfew kept her from getting to a hospital in the city.

Mutombo also noted that he had hoped to become a doctor and was studying medicine at Georgetown University in Washington before his basketball talent was discovered.

He played for six NBA teams, was the league's top defensive player four times and was selected for eight All-Star games during his career.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I assumed this meant the good Clinton. Should have realized as much by the thread title. If it was Bill it probably would have read, "Clinton and Mutombo cure AIDS by lunch time".

3. Strawman

Strawman Member

This is just the beginning.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I love Dikembe. I don't want to sex him, but I love him.

5. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Your love is obviously not deep enough.

6. Dei

Dei Member

I feel so bad about the guy not getting the ring. He played, practically, for free the last few seasons. He voiced some issues with his salary several times.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yes you do, you cannot hide it now... You voted in that "Do you want to sex Mutombo" thread saying that you did... YEP, I saw you, I was a witness..... you cannot hide. :p

8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mhospital Ncongo Jean-Jacques Wamutombo

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It's ok. Many people are in denial.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If the rockets would have been Healthy this past season, he could have had his Championship ring to finish off his Hall of Fame career.....

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

one of the nicest human beings in the world. if he wasn't an NBA player, i'm sure deke would have done something to help his country/world anyways

12. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

That would have ended a very productive career. It was not meant to be so good luck Mutombo and keep the spirit of generosity alive.

13. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'd like to see a picture of Deke and Clinton.

14. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

One more year Deke! The team really needs you. :)

15. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

I;m going to miss him next season. Hopefully he'll come to a few games.