1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Midseason grades for every NBA team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/01/19/nba-midseason-grades-warriors-spurs-cavaliers-knicks-pelicans

Houston Rockets: D-

Record: 22–21
    Off. Rating: 8 | Def. Rating: 22 | Net Rating: 18

Houston wasted little time admitting that it was failing by canning coach Kevin McHale just 11 games into the season. Since then, things have gotten better under interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff—the Rockets have moved back into the playoff picture and returned to the top 10 in offensive efficiency—but there’s still no cause for major celebration. There was a discipline to the Rockets last year that made them both dangerous and worthy of respect; too often this season that discipline has been nonexistent. The mental lapses are regularly appalling, whether they come in the form of early-season blowout passes, errant passes that fly into the stands, absolutely negligent transition defense, or overly showy one-on-one play.

The underlying problem for James Harden and company is that they’ve competed this season like they are satisfied, instead of redoubling their commitment to claim a spot at the top of the conference. Why should anyone take the Rockets seriously if they don’t take themselves seriously? They shouldn’t. Why should the West’s elite fear the Rockets if they’re not committed to the same principles that drove them to a surprise Western Conference finals trip last year? They shouldn’t. The only saving grace here is that that the Rockets can still back into a very winnable first-round series with the Clippers. Whoop-de-doo.

1 person likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That's pretty accreate.

2 people like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hard to disagree

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yup, team should be embarrassed!

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well the team did say they were gonna work on their D this season.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Quit being delusional fizzle. Jeez

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yep, exactly what I have been saying.

it's complacency thinking that just because we reached the WCF we should be there again. It's entitlement. It's resting on laurels.

8. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

That Defensive Rating :(

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Spot on. And I have no doubt that if Harden and Howard would lead the way with effort game after game, then everyone would follow.

Play harder. It really is that simple.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

THIS. Especially with Harden.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Hard to argue with that rating. There have been other disappointing teams in the NBA this season(Pelicans, Suns, Bucks). But based on where they were last year, where they were expected to be this year, and the fact that they have far fewer injuries this season compared to last, I think the Rockets take top honors in that category.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

100% correct assessment.

Why should we care so much when the players don't? Or should I say "player", singular?

(Answer. Because I've been a fan and always will be, and that's what makes this ish so frustrating to watch.)

It isn't too late, there are tweaks here and there, but until James Harden gets slapped out of his superstar stratosphere, we could have troubles.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Who cares about this ranking.

What does Harden rank Ace of Diamonds????!?!?!?!?!??!

15. Moahst

Moahst Member

I don't really mind that this team is limping their way into the playoffs. It's always a good thing when your opponents have lower expectations of you in a seven game series. I think we match up favorably with Dallas, Utah, Memphis, LAC, and even San Antonio (every once in a while) and I think we can expect another second round appearance from this underachieving team.

16. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Repped for the DK Khaled reference.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Discipline? We were a disciplined team last year?

I thought that was what everyone b*tched about last year was the lack of discipline.

Rocket River

18. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Repped. Another one.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think compared to this year, any Rockets team would appear disciplined.

20. malakas

malakas Member

I would give us an F because from contender we became a fringe playoff team because we don't even care.