1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] If the Knicks were to release Steve Francis...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CheezeyBoy22, Feb 2, 2007.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just something I found when i was reading on SI.com

4. If the Knicks were to release Steve Francis, he would probably wind up signing with:

(a) Celtics
    (b) Spurs
    (c) Magic
    (d) Rockets

ANSWER: (d)

The Rockets would be interested. Remember how Tracy McGrady and Magic management sniped at one another after McGrady was dealt to Houston for Francis in 2004? You heard no such criticism of Francis from the Rockets, and they still hold his talent in high regard.

But it's hard to imagine that the Knicks will buy out Francis' contract anytime soon. While it's true that they've already paid off Mo Taylor and Jalen Rose, Francis is owed more than $40 million through '08-09 -- almost double the total buyout to his former teammates. The Knicks can't afford to pay him to play well for another team, especially if Stephon Marbury is injured again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/02/01/weekly.quiz/2.html

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Damn damn damn. Hopefully they're just total idiots and they buy him out anyways. It would just be too awesome if he came back to the Rockets.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I kinda have the same feeling too. I would love to see him back. He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but what can you do?

4. rocketsmetalspd

IF SF were to come back to the Rockets I am sure he would do much better on his second chance to play for JVG. One can only hope the Knicks do buy him out.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd welcome him back as a scorer off the bench.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

we already have a scorer off the bench: Bonzi.

We need someone to bring up the ball so TMac doesn't have to do it when Rafer is on the bench.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd have to think that with the way Francis' career and spotlight have diminished since leaving the Rockets - and all the losing on the Magic and the Knicks - Francis would return a very different person. Perhaps even grateful and humble. If a player of his abilities were to learn humility and just want to contribute to the success of the team, he'd be a huge asset.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Could he be the newest Kenny Smith? A player who thrived as the 2nd or 3rd option but could not cut it as a star?

DD

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i have mixed feelings. i did enjoy watching francis' talents but i couldnt stand the way he played the game on a mental level.

part of me wants to be optimistic and think that if he did come here he would buy into the team and play the role that is assigned to him. the other part tells me that he would just revert to his old ways...minus the freakish athleticism

10. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

Steve can bring the ball up the court. Bonzi and Steve off the bench...WOW, that would be great

11. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

I think you're right...he'll understand that he'd have to defer to Mcgrady, Yao, and even Battier and Bonzi. I think he'd come in a run the team and not try to jack up shots all the time like last time he was here

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can still see them buying him out. Probably not but it's possible. They are a better team without Steve and I think Isiah knows it. Some people lampooned the Magic for "giving him away" to the Knicks but what a smart move for Orlando.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I think it is a testament to how truly awful our point guard situation is when we pine for Stevie to come back here.

Now I give Steve props for how well he played for a while here, carrying the load and all, but he has proven to be a pretty mediocre half-court player.

That said, I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench as long as he realizes that he is not the first OR second option and isn't allowed to dribble for more than 5 seconds once he gets across the mid-court line.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's a really tough call. Or maybe it isn't.

Steve Francis makes a lot of money. Last year, though, the rumors were that we were trying to reacquire him at the All Star break.

If Les is willing to cough up the dough for the next couple of years, maybe Steve can resurrect his career here. Certainly we could use a guard who isn't afraid of initiating contact and going to the free throw line.

But this is all academic. You'd have to throw in a lot of players to match up the salaries. Bob Sura would be a given. Skip-to-my-Lou would be a given (native NY'er, can backup Starbury). But you'd still have to throw in Juwan.

If we could score Channing Frye (even if it cost our draft pick), then I'd say, OK.

But Isiah acts like Frye's out-of-bounds and JVG acts like Skip's out of bounds.

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Do you think CD is an idiot?

The ONLY way Francis becomes a Rocket is if he is released and we sign him for the min. That's it. No way would we take on his max contract and give up two key rotation players.

16. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

No way we want that scrub...he's got million dollar skills but a 10 cent basketball mind. The Knicks want to get rid of him and they suck...what does that tell you?

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

steve would add a new dimention to our team.

a slasher.

we have post players, we have jump shooters, we have passers, but we don't have a guy that is determined to get to the rim.

the closest we have is tmac who only drives sometimes. rafer gets to the rim but can't finish. steve would be a huge addition.

18. thugLove

thugLove Contributing Member

With Stevie back, we could potentially run a triangle....Pahahaha. Three peat anybody? Puahahaha.

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I totally agree, the only way I'd want SF3 back on the rockets is if he's released, setting up any kind of deal for him would be insane if you ask me

20. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

don't forget the turnovers, as I am sure he will had 5 or 6 per game...

PASS!!! :rolleyes: