1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI Fanside has picked 8 Western Conference playoff team, No Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joelcwu, Oct 26, 2014.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

If they are leaning on Parsons they are going to be disappointed he is a role player :grin:

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Last year the Rockets lost in the first round.

Did they get better in the off season or worse?

If you choose "worse," then the sportswriters are likely right.

Otherwise, they are wrong.

Despite having two All Stars, I think they are going to have to squeeze into the playoffs. The West is brutal, most teams haver better benches, and it is a long season with injuries always a possibility.

For the Rockets to "rise high" there has to be an unidentified "star" sitting on the bench. Or two.

Or, a "successful" trade

#62 solid, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Carlos Nazario = joelcwu

4. joelcwu

joelcwu Member

Good joker.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rocket fans paving the way for the acceptance of another first Rd loss. Everybody should be pessimistic

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'll never understand why people care about stuff like this.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

We either have squads that have all this hype and never live up to the expectation, or we have the underdog team with grit and chemistry, fighting and clawing to be the best team to not make the playoffs.

They've made it out of the first round once in the last 17 years. Once. They got knocked out as the hyped team, had a hyped offseason, and lost a significant starter as well as suffering a loss at the bench.

Nobody ever believes in Houston, big deal.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Having parsons is huge for the regular season. He plays well nearly every game, doesn't miss too many games.

Again I'm not saying we should have kept them or what this means for Houston, but he had a lot to do with us getting 54 wins and he will help Dallas big time during the regular season, getting them a high seed.

Is he the type of player to make you a championship contender? I don't think so

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Carlos Nazario sounds like a terrorist, I have alerted the authorities.

10. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Dallas will be lucky to get a seed. Parsons is good but not great.

11. sammo

sammo Member

chandler parson really deserves more recognition than this. i know we are all still bitter from the bad divorce, but let's not lie to ourselves and pretend we didn't love him when he was with us.

12. kemah

kemah Member

lol

And we move on and the future is Ariza. :)

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Easy to love a really good role player when his salary is south of a million.

14. NateNate

NateNate Member

I love the fact that we're getting "overlooked". #underdogstatus <<<<< yeah I just hash tagged on clutchfans!

15. NotChandlerParsons

The thing is they lost a lot of productive wing minutes in Carter and Marion. Getting Parsons is a better move long-term but it's really pretty much a lateral move in terms of wins.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why do we care what someone else thinks? Shouldn't we just watch the games and see?

DD

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

Tyson Chandler of today is not Tyson Chandler of 2011.

Chandler Parsons is not a "big time" improvement over Marion/Carter. They were a good offensive team last year but a bad defensive team. Parsons does nothing to help that.

Calderon was a deadly 3-point shooter for them last year. Jameer Nelson/Devin Harris/Raymond Felton will be a drop off at point.

Dirk is 36. His decline is coming. Maybe it will be this season. Maybe it won't. But it is only a matter of time.

18. kemah

kemah Member

lol

This. Yes the Mavs made some moves but most seem to forget what they sent out. Calderon was a huge loss that they haven't replaced. Cahndler was a decent pick up but he is not going to help them that much in the west. Dallas didn't improve at all. They will still be fighting for a playoff spot.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

When has a team had such a weak supporting cast around their stars.

Ariza - Average starter

Beverley, Jones - Below average starters

Papanikolaou, Daniels, Motiejunas - Average backups

Canaan, Terry, Black, Dorsey - Below average backups

McHale - Below average coach

Is that crew really going to give us a comfortable spot in the playoffs? There's just so many holes. Morey needs to pull a starting PF and PG, backup center and better coaching staff out his ass soon.

20. photojoe

photojoe Member

I think that a lot of the preseason predictions are influenced by the excitement caused from the offseason moves.

If a team makes a big splash during the offseason, it can be easy to overreact and rate that team higher than it should be. We unfortunately saw that a little bit last year after signing Dwight Howard. But the opposite is also true. If a team has a perceived disappointing offseason then it can also be easy to overreact and underrate them.

I think one of the biggest reasons the Rockets are being ranked so low is because we were *this* close to having the best starting 5 in the entire league. It looked like it was for sure going to happen and then right at the last minute it didn't. We moved on to Plan B, and all things considered, I think we did pretty well. But because we were so close to that, it was emotional and seen as a huge disappointment. I think if we were able to remove the expectations that we had before the offseason and instead just looked at what we actually did, IMO we wouldn't be ranked so low on these lists.

But whatever. Preseason predictions mean nothing once the season actually starts.