1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.com: Winning division didn't stop Texans from bold offseason changes

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by xcrunner51, Jun 4, 2012.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

2. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Key points for those who do not want to read:

1. Peter King has the ability to observe and report on offseason roster moves.
    2. Rick Smith is a General Manager of a NFL team

2 people like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

PK;DR

2 people like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not much there or nothing earth shattering but it wasn't that bad of a read. :p

[rquoter]"One important thing I've learned is when your core changes, you've got to be willing to change your philosophy too,'' said Smith. "Your core of players has to be a living, breathing thing, and you have to be willing to examine it all the time to be sure you're comfortable with it. The good thing about making those types of decisions is being able to be emotionally detached a bit. I don't have the attachment to the players that a coach does.''

Smith said he's studied NFL history at length, and he's studied business models of different business leaders. One that he's adopted is former GE boss Jack Welch's 20-70-10 philosophy: the top 20 percent of your employees are standouts and must be nurtured. The majority, the 70 percent, are the working class -- needed but still able to move if the right situation arises. The lowest 10 percent have to be churned and replaced, because a company always is looking for ways to get better by importing new blood. "If you have a 53-man roster, maybe you've got 10 or 11 core players,'' Smith said, "and then 25 to 30 roles players, and then you're always looking to churn the bottom of the roster.''
    [/rquoter]

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Interesting concept to run the roster after business model. But changing your philosophy to fit your personnel sounds like something a coach would do, not a (NFL) GM.
    Or is Rick just in interview mode for reading material?

6. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

"They had a chance to bring home Young as the backup to Schaub. They watched as Buffalo signed Young."

And the OrangeRAGE builds and builds.....

7. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

You have to admit, VY and Mario on the same team ... :grin:
    I was wondering 'what if' Reggie Bush was available. The Bills would be ... (fill in yourself) :rolleyes:

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Texans made "bold" changes because they were screwed in terms of the salary cap after splurging on FAs last season and had a bunch of guys making a ton of non-guaranteed money.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would replace your ":grin:" with a :yawn: - it was more than six years ago... who cares?

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Hell, I mark that as a positive offseason move.

Overrated coming into the league, still overrated 6 years later.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd rep ya if I could!

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I tried to, as well. Too bad, so sad.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would replace it with a gigantic :egg fart:

Bills are still going to be 6-10 next year. Unless VY plays. In which case they'll be 4-12.

14. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

It is so true that they say enter the draft when your stock is high. VY got drafted so high because the draft was on the heels of a historic performance in the rose bowl. Since then he has been mediocre at best and r****ded most of the time. I guess in hindsight the mario pick did work out for the Texans. He turned out to be the best NFL player in the whole group.