1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.com: Why the Suns are struggling to take the next step

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/26/phoenix-suns-goran-dragic-isaiah-thomas-fundamentals

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

come back dragic pls

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

What if Dragic is signalling by his play that he wants to be traded?

4. gaspar

gaspar Member

Dragic is doing just fine. In December he's averaging 20/5.5/3 on 53% FG, 40% 3P and 81% FT.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're in the west, man, what do you expect? If you're not acquiring nukes every 2 months you're not going anywhere.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I hope those numbers carry over to Houston or LA or any other team he ends up being traded to in February.

A .500% team locking up a 29 year old point guard already on their team for near max/max money would be a disaster.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

But the Suns are not. He's been saying he wants to test his FA options.

8. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Suns are on pace for 46 wins this year. I could see them going on a nice run and pushing it to 50. They might just be delusional enough to try to retain Dragic and kill their cap space. I'm not so confident they make a trade as i was earlier in the year.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Suns could win 46 games or push for 50. Right now they are the 8 seed, and they have OKC only 3 games behind them. Who will they pass in the standings? Do you think they will hold off OKC? .....I don't.

So, then the question is, do the Suns spend their precious cap space to resign a 29 year old point guard that led them to a 9-11 seed?

Dragic will get close to max money this off season. Now, the Suns can trade Thomas AND then resign Dragic for near max money, but they still ultimately end up losing about 7-8 million a year in cap space in such a move.

So then the question is, how much value in tradedoes a 30 year old Dragic, on a max contract have for the Suns, when they already have younger point guards under contract? I don't think much.

The Suns are ultimately looking for a star player, and all the trades for assets and moves are to make getting a star more possible. Signing Dragic, to the near max does not do that UNLESS they can trade for such a player by February. That is very unlikely, and teams like Boston will be all over a star player that is available.

The Suns are not actively seeking a trade for Dragic, but with the total circumstances surrounding Phoenix, it makes sense that they move him based on his age, pending free agency, likely near max contract and having Bledsoe and Thomas already on the team and under contract.

By February it is very possible, if not likely Dragic is moved.

10. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I agree with you 100% This is more of a "gut" feeling. Plenty of teams lock themselves into mediocrity for a variety of reasons. The fact that the Suns traded Dragic away along with a first round pick once before leads me to believe this could sway the owner's / management's decision making. Suns fans will be upset with a trade sending Dragic away for assets. I hope they take emotions out of it but they're human.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Suns can't extend Dragic after paying Bledsoe. Their management will wait until the deadline to make a deal because they cannot appear to be giving up on the season this early.

The earlier trade surely must bite them hard. Giving up a Dragic + a draft pick for AB. Wow.

12. wise_man

wise_man Member

Capella+nick Jhonson and Dorsey + second round for dragic. Make it happen morey .

13. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets and Suns both have GM's that are able to keep things under the radar as well. I would not be shocked if the issue at this point is compensation.

I am sure Morey is aware that Dragic is going to be a free agent, that he is 29 years old, that he plays a stacked position and that the Suns have backed themselves in a corner with Thomas and Bledsoe. With all of that in mind, I do not believe that the Rockets have offered DMO & the Pelicans pick. You can look back at the offers the Rockets made for Rondo, Bynum and other players.

Likewise, the Suns know the Rockets need another player that can create, and it isn't likely another player of that ability will be available at the deadline.

I still think when it is all said and done, the Rockets give up DMO and the Pelicans pick for Dragic and bench big, be it Plumlee or a third team involved.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I'm completely and absolutely shocked shocked shocked that a guy who played well above his career percentages and highs in one year could somehow come back down to earth. I have never heard of such a thing, you mean it's possible that *gasp* he might have had a career year? no way, then all that hand wringing and splooge threads directed his way were all for naught? nah, not possible, not possible at all.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

With the Thunder looking great when both Durant and Westbrook were healthy, it may take at least 50 wins to make the playoffs in the West.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They need a big man. At center or pf that can be a playmaker. The killa backcourt isn't enough, same for GSW.

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

At this pace 50 wins almosts guarantees you at least an 8th seed, dont think Phoenix is a 50 win team. Who knows though

18. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Too many ball handlers on that team. Same result as when you get 3 stars, usually one of them underperforms because there isn't enough ball for all 3.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

hhhmmm . .so if Dragic comes here. . .it would be a rental as well
    He'd be a FA at the end of the year? And he wants Near Max Money?

Rocket River

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's not getting max money. Lowry got 12 million a year and Dragic and him are almost interchangeable in terms of production.