1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(SI.com) Impact Rookies - Steve Novak #8

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #1draftpik, Oct 11, 2006.

1. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/10/11/inside.nba/index.html

Sudden impact. It's more than the name of an old Clint Eastwood film. It's what NBA rookies dream of making when they lie awake in their beds at night during training camp.

But how does one define "impact"? Does it mean putting up big numbers on a bad team? Or does it entail making a positive contribution in limited minutes for a contender?

Even though training camps are only a week old, it's never too early to project how the first-year players will perform. Here's a look at the 10 rookies we expect will make the biggest impact, ranked 10 through 1. Some are big names, right off the top of the draft board. Others are lesser-known, but could play a key role for a contending team.

10. Jorge Garbajosa, Raptors
    At age 29, the former Spanish League star is more mature and ready to contribute. Even if the 6-9 forward doesn't play a lot of minutes, he's already having an impact as a mentor for his former Benetton Treviso teammate Andrea Bargnani.

9. Rajon Rondo, Celtics
    The Celtics are looking for a fast-paced playmaker to spark their attack, and this 6-1 former Kentucky standout has shown signs he can provide that dimension. He'll have to share time with Sebastian Telfair, but look for him to work his way into the rotation.

8. Steve Novak, Rockets
    The 6-10 second-rounder from Marquette is already being hailed by his Rockets teammates as one of the NBA's best pure shooters. He could be a valuable piece to spread the floor and make foes pay for double teams on Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

7. Ronnie Brewer, Jazz
    Jazz coach Jerry Sloan would rather dance the lambada than rely on a rookie, but this 6-7 shooting guard from Arkansas fills a need for an athletic wing man. If Brewer can defend at all, Sloan will have no choice but to run him out there.

6. Andrea Bargnani, Raptors
    The No. 1 overall pick probably won't be asked to do much right away, especially with Chris Bosh and Rasho Nesterovic in the frontcourt, but he'll get enough playing time to make an impact one way or another.

5. Tyrus Thomas, Bulls
    The 6-9 forward from LSU is raw, so expect the Bulls to remain patient with him. His ability to run the floor, fill the lane, put back offensive rebounds and make hustle plays could make him an X factor on a rising Chicago team.

4. Shannon Brown, Cavs
    The Cavs need some bench scoring to replace the departed Flip Murray, and this springy 6-4 shooting guard from Michigan State looked good in summer league. The opportunity will be there if he can take advantage of it.

3. Randy Foye, Timberwolves
    The 6-4 combo guard from Villanova has had a slow start in camp after an impressive summer league. But the T'Wolves need backcourt help off the bench, and Kevin Garnett will push to get the most out of his new teammate.

2. Adam Morrison, Bobcats
    Maybe the most intriguing rookie in that he could be the next Bird ... or the next Bust. There's no doubt he can shoot the ball, but can he defend? Either way, he's going to be in the spotlight like few other first-year players.

1. Brandon Roy, Trail Blazers
    Poised. Mature. Multi-skilled. The 6-6 guard from Washington has the complete package, and he'll get plenty of chances to play both guard spots for a rebuilding team. The preseason favorite for Rookie of the Year

2. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

A couple three of notes:

1) Don't see Gay on the list
    2) Brandon Roy, who the Rox really wanted, is at the top of the list
    3) Novak is a second round "notable"

3. hoyarocketsfan

tmac did call him the best shooter he has ever played with. that has to mean something.

4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

t-mac is a homer...jk kidding. it looks like we got a solid pick...thanks moochie trade...that is how we got that pick right. i guess we'll see how it all turns out.

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

#8 I can see it based on his first preseason game, they gave him a well deserved player of the game during the broadcast. BTW, anybody know how JJ Redick is playing?

6. superden

superden Contributing Member

Impressive to say the least. I feel like they put Andrea Bargnani just because he was the #1 pick. They didn't say anything great about him or any reason to why he will be an impact rookie.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i looked at the orlando boxscore cause i was curious, but he didn't play. i wonder if that injury he had pre-draft is still keeping him out of action?

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Barganini will be impact rookie mainly because he will probably get some good playing time with the Raptors line up.

9. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wheres Gay ? :D

10. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

LOL.............

11. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

don't know. haha.
    He looks nervous on the court yesterday. Terrible shoot percentage (28%).
    And I am surprised that he got such a lot of attepts (18) as a rookie!

Gay has the potential but Novak is a very solid pick at 32! He may be the missing piece to our team!

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I was making a joke with my friend at the game last night when Novak and Gay were on the court together.

I said "do you think everytime Novak gets the ball against Rudy Gay he whispers '40 and 16' to him?"

In case you're not familiar with those numbers, that's what Novak dropped on Rudy Gay when Marquette played UConn last year. Not bad for the #32 vs. the #8 :D

13. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

JVG better play him. I don't care if he can't play a lick of defense. Unless the other team goes to the man novak is guarding constantly and he is scoring, novak should play!

14. AlexZhao

AlexZhao Member

I don't think Steve Novak would be #8 while this season ends.
    I don't think VGD woule give him much time to play.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Novak looks stick thin and slow footed. He's got a long way to go, folks.

16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Tyrus Thomas at 5? No way.

17. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Gay's number against Atlanta tonight. 6-16 :eek:

STARTERS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
    Rudy Gay, F 22 6-16 0-1 3-4 2 1 3 0 0 2 4 1 15

18. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

I was at the game Wed. Novak gets rid of the ball on catch and shoot as fast as anyone I have ever seen. Simply outstanding. Reggie Miller-esqe.

19. windfern

windfern Member

Right... I even think he played better than SCottie. On the defensive end, he's a little slow and weak, that's just a guess. It's still a long way to the regular season... My guess he would make it to the roster...

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Novak can keep shooting like he apparently has in practice, and the first preseason game, he'll find some situational minutes, where draining shot after shot can make up for his obvious limitations. Based on the little we've seen and heard so far, it looks like an excellent 2nd round pick. Who knows... maybe he'll get into NBA shape eventually.