1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shut out, Dallas turns to Horry...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mfclark, Jul 13, 2003.

1. mfclark

mfclark Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0713/1580094.html

Spurned in their pursuit of free-agent center Alonzo Mourning, the Dallas Mavericks have contacted free-agent forward Robert Horry twice in the last few days, a source has told ESPN's David Aldridge.

The Los Angeles Lakers, Horry's team the past six seasons, still have hopes of re-signing Horry even though they declined to pick up the option for his $5.3 million salary for the 2003-04 season. The team's decision made Horry a free agent in the first place.

The Mavs also are looking at Indiana free-agent center Brad Miller, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported in Sunday's editions.

Dallas, as did NBA champion San Antonio, coveted power forward P.J. Brown, who has agreed to re-sign with the New Orleans Hornets.

Miller, however, remains interested in the Mavs, his agent says.

"Brad is still very much out there," Mark Bartelstein, who also represents Brown, told the Star-Telegram. "We're talking to Dallas, and it's hard to say what's going to happen at this point."

According to the newspaper, Bartelstein said Miller's price tag will be beyond the $4.9 million mid-level exception, the most the Mavs can offer unless they negotiate a sign-and-trade agreement with the Pacers, Miller's team for the past 2½ seasons.

"We understand the challenges there and there is no question that we are exploring all possibilities," Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said Saturday.

---------------------------------------

They also are going after Brad Miller, but I think he's likely to stay in Indiana; plus, there are still several teams that can give him more than Dallas: San Antonio, Denver, and Miami (unless they sign Arenas) with cap room, Orlando with a medical exception (8% bigger than the mid-level exception), all of whom offer him more opportunity to showcase his skills.

Robert Horry is someone who the Mavs can get, definitely, but does he make that much of a difference? I thought they were looking for a rugged rebounder, not another player who is known moreso for his shooting than anything else.

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I think this is just Mark Cuban trying to sign any name he can.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If Horry wants more championships, he'd be stupid to leave LA right about now.

4. tigereye

tigereye Member

That wasent even his decision. LA left him.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dallas is reaching now.

I think both Dallas and San Antonio, two of the best teams in the league desperately in need of inside help, are getting the shaft big time. Many of the players they had hoped would be available to them are gone.

I think Nesterovic and Miller will re-sign with their teams which would only leave Kandi as the last big man available. Will San Antonio over pay him?

Funny, after the NBA season with the Spurs being champions AND having all this cap money we thought they would be HUGE in the off season with FAs but what is happening is what always seems to happen and that is most of the time the players re-sign with their own teams. Very rarely do "big time" players jump to another team.

I think at this juncture many teams might just want to wait until next year's free agency to get their hands on Elton Brand. Surely he will want to leave.

Speaking of FA dollars, Utah has 20 million under the cap! Ridiculous amount of money! Who wants to play for them!?

6. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I love seeing Dallas strike out after every big time FA. Now they're left with Robbert Horry. Im loving this, heres hoping Horry turns down Dallas also :D

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think Dallas really blew it when they resigned Raef LaFrentz last year. He was majorly exposed in the playoffs and was a non-factor for the team. He could not get it done defensively and yet did not make up for it on the offensive end of the floor consistantly hitting the outside jumper.

If there is any guy on the Mavs roster that they should try to move it is him.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Come home Robert!!!

Looks like the Texas teams are all being shut out of free agency...not good when you enter the offseason with 15-16 million and exit with only Rasho/Horry type players to show for it.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Horry would not help the mavs one iota.

I think the only texas team he could really help would be the spurs, but only if he went there for a cheap, short term deal.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If I were the Mavs I would be more concerned about teams like the Sonics and Rockets who are catching up with the Mavs. The Rockets are getting better and looking to beef up the bench, and the Mavs are maintaining the status quo.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Maybe Dallas will trade Lafrenz plus a little more (pick, or maybe, 1-2 mil player) for Miller. Pacers could shave probably a mil or so (make the trade with like 14/15% salary difference) & get a center probably better suited for the soft East (Laffrenz) plus a prospect or two--the Mavs get a tougher banger center, Just a thought.

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Raef was making over 7 million last season. Adding a 1-2 million player in addition to Raef's contract would make for over 8 million in salary going to the Pacers. Exactly how much do you think Miller should be paid and do you think the Pacers would want that much salary coming back?

13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

So the Mavs get another perimeter player? That's going to help their title quest. :rolleyes:

What they need is a complement to Dirk, a banger C (in contrast to the Rox who need a banger PF to complement Yao). They struck out hard with LaFrentz, and it looks like their next big mistake is going to be picking up Horry.

14. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I know Ben Wallaces don't grow on trees, but he's the one player that could get Dallas the championship banner that Cuban lusts for. As for the Spurs in their fruitless quest for folks to sign on the dotted line, I think they are quickly becoming the 2000 Bulls even though they are fresh off winning a championship. Guess nobody wants to ride on Duncan's cottails. Horry had better resign with the Lakers (they still hold his rights despite passing on the team option) if he wants to add to his jewelry collection.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think Horry would be a good pick up for Dallas (or any vet team looking to contend). He's not a superstar addition or anything, but he's a reliable vet and a clutch performer. He'd be in a backup role, of course, so he wouldn't have to play a lot of minutes -- maybe 20 mpg. Plus, you weaken the Lakers.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I think Cuban needs to spend some cap money on rehabbing his star alcoholics more than on a star f a... maybe investing within, gaining some team unity and encouraging some "self induced" practice time makes more money in long run.

Otherwise, brain cell depletion and liver damage will make your stars one step slower... if not blown off the playoff map.

edit: p.s. I live in the Dallas area, and we hear off the mavs out partying all the time... now the pics show up... what next? No competitiveness that's what... see the cowboys for the proof. They partied and got fat in years past, the difference is the mavs haven't won it yet.

#16 IROC it, Jul 14, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Brad Miller is easily worth 7 million, probably closer to 9--especially to the free spending Mavs. To me this would make a lot of sense. Say like Raef (7.6 mil?) + a #1 via the Rockets/Tmo trade + a Mavs future #1 in a sign and trade for Miller starting at like 8.9 million. Pacers shave 1.3 million of their salary--even more long term, have a more mobile center with range who will probably be fine in the East, and at least get a couple late 1st rounders. The Mavs get the tougher banger center needed out west.

Or if the Pacers want to drop more even more salary, involve Wahad and Croshere. Say, Miller + Croshere (around 16.5 mil?) for Wahad + Laffrenz + #1 (14.3 mil?). The the Pacers can probably save around 2 million by involving those the two equally wastoid contracts (Wahad & Croshere).

Both Laffrenz and Miller are also within 2 months apart in age--so longevity is a wash. Seems like a pretty good deal all around to me--especially if the Pacers a really motivated to drop a 1.3-2.3 mil or so.