1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shreveport Times] McGrady deal looks like a steal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You know, I'm amazed that with as much praise as the media is dumping on the Rockets these days they have not highlighted this more: The Rockets absolutely pillaged the Orlando Magic last summer. When Houston was slow out of the gate and the Magic were above .500 (shocker!), all kinds of talking heads were proclaiming the Magic the winner of the deal and suggesting that Orlando GM John Weisbrod knew McGrady better than any of us.

Now you look at this and you say: The Rockets got TRACY MCGRADY for what they dealt? Never mind the major contribution of Juwan Howard, or that in relatively little time the Rockets turned the two scrubs from the deal in to extremely significant role players in Jon Barry and Mike James or that the Orlando Magic absolutely gave away Cuttino Mobley... bottom line: Houston got TRACY MCGRADY for that crap! This is to balance out things for giving away Moses Malone in the early 80's because barring injury, this should go down as one of the more lopsided deals in recent NBA history and Weisbrod will go down in history as the guy who alienated and traded away a 25-year old Tracy McGrady.

-------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050327/SPORTS/503270317/1001/SPORTS

McGrady deal looks like a steal
    March 27, 2005

The offseason deal to acquire Tracy McGrady from the Orlando Magic has turned out to be a steal for the Houston Rockets.

Not only did the Rockets get a prolific scorer and blossoming defender in McGrady, they also got players that have been instrumental in the team's success this season. At 42-27, the Rockets are closing in on the Western Conference's No. 5 seed and have a legitimate chance to win this year's NBA title.

Averaging 25.1 points per game, McGrady has given the Rockets a scoring threat they haven't had since Hakeem Olajuwon averaged 26.9 points during the 1995-96 season. But the two-time NBA scoring champion has also excelled defensively.

He's ranked No. 7 in the NBA, averaging a career-high 1.74 steals per game. "I take tremendous pride on the defensive end," McGrady said. "(There are) other ways that you can help your team win ballgames, and that's on the defensive end. And that's what I try to do."

In addition to acquiring McGrady, the Rockets obtained forward Juwan Howard, who has solidified their front court. Rockets head coach Jeff Van Gundy says, "When we rebound, we win." And the Rockets are 15-2 when Howard collects at least eight rebounds. Howard recently suffered a knee injury, but he is expected to return in time for the playoffs.

Indirectly, the Rockets also acquired sharp-shooting guards Jon Barry and Mike James.

Tyronn Lue, who came from Orlando as part of the original deal, was traded to Atlanta on Dec. 23 for Barry, who has become one of the NBA's most proficient 3-point shooters. He is ranked No. 6 in 3-point field goal percentage (.432), just ahead of Phoenix's MVP candidate, Steve Nash (.425).

Reece Gaines, who also came from Orlando, was sent to Milwaukee on Feb. 24 for Mike James and Zendon Hamilton, who has since been waived.

James has added valuable back court depth and is averaging 13.8 points and 4.1 assists per game since joining the Rockets.

From the look of things, the McGrady heist could go down as one of the biggest in franchise history.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

It is funny to watch the media jumping on the bandwagon so fast.

Hold on tight ClutchFans, this bandwagon is going to get crowded.

3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I don't know about "fast." It's taken over 3/4 of the season and the 4th best record since, I believe, Dec. 1 to finally get noticed.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In essence, this is how the trade ended up:

Houston gets:
    Tracy McGrady
    Juwon Howard
    Jon Barry
    Mike James

Orlando gets:
    Steve Francis
    Doug Christie
    Kelvin Cato

TRADE ACCEPTED :eek:

Can you imagine if some newbie would have posted a trade scenario like this in the GARM a year ago? We would have piled on with "why would Orlando do this horrible trade?" and "Clutch, can we do something about these newbies starting the threads with all these ridiculous trade scenarios?" :D Yet this is how the trade actually ended up.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

This team was hyped to be a contender as soon as the deal was pulled. Despite their disappoint start, they have been put on National TV more times then nearly any other team. I don't think there's much room to complain about the media, especially if you ask Suns or Spurs fans...

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch, you are right. It kind is amazing how no one really is talking more about that trade. The bulk of the talk has been what CD has done in terms of "in season" trades which have been huge. But what started it all was the Tmac deal. And when you look at where this franchise is going now and where the Magic franchise is going, it really is amazing.

Honestly, the Magic probably would be better off if they rebuild with young players versus trying to tread water.

Ultimately though, the Rockets/Magic deal while it looks bad now, the reality is it will CONTINUE to look bad throughout this summer as I believe the Magic will try to trade Francis this summer. And you can BANK on the fact that once again Weisass will get 50 cents on the dollar in that trade. And then we can once again break down the deal even more!

As an example, I believe that the Grizzlies, longing to add another star player to their team to match with Gasol, will probably inquire about Francis. I am sure West sees this as an opportunity to steal a talented player.

I could see the Grizzlies offer the Magic for Francis a deal that would include Jason Williams and a S&T Bonzi Wells (or S&T Wells and S&T Watson).

That would give the Magic a quality SG and a more pass first PG which is what they want. But "talentwise" the Grizzlies would be getting the better end of the deal. Think about what the Magic are doing in their trades. Their trades always seem to try to "plug a hole" without taking into account that they are on the losing end of the "talent" stick. The Mobley/Christie and Battie/Gooden & Varejo deals come to mind.

Anyway.....THEN, the breakdown would look like this

Tmac, Howard, James, Barrry
    for
    J. Williams, Wells, Christie, Cato.

So if you think the deal breaks down bad now, it could get a lot worse!

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it should be much of a surprise that the Rockets came away as the big winners, though. While McGrady is obviously the best player in the deal, they come out way ahead with the McGrady/Juwan combo just on the fact that their games are so different from each other, while Steve/Cuttino are kind of redundant.
    Even though I always thought that Steve and Cuttino would be better served playing on different teams, I thought they would do well for the Magic in the East. I think what the whole scenario shows is how fragile Steve is mentally and why he would never have gotten us over the hump. I'm just glad another team got to find out how detrimental to Steve the breakup would be.
    Now that Steve's stock is down, it will be interesting to see who the Magic get for him when Weisbrod trades him. Then we'll see who they essentially got for Tmac.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

No question, I would have been BEGGING for Clutch to ban them. Wow. Don't forget, Sura was also part of that deal. The Rockets signed him to help fill the need at the PG spot with Francis being dealt away. Amazing.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

great trade for both parties. CD should get Exec of the Year for the pieces he acquired after the trade, Weisass should be fired for the moves he made after the trade (Cat for a broken down Christie???).

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Although, you could say we might have went after Sura anyway because we still didn't have a backup PG.

11. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, don't forget Sura when you think about the TMac deal. And don't forget the subsequent Barry and Wesley deals. But if you're going to list all the don't forgets among CD's deals, don't forget this little blip on national radar that is totally laughable now:

Pike and Griffin to the Bulls for...

DEKE !!

How awesome has it been having Mutombo on this team? Watching him have so much fun makes this CD's most "enjoyable" acquisition for me.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sura wouldn't have signed here to be Francis' backup, given the numbers he put up as a Hawk. We wouldn't have signed him at that money to be a backup for a superstar.

Charlie Ward on the other hand...I think CD was just proving he's not completely infallible. Didn't want to scare off the other GMs, hehe.

13. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Interesting you mention that. If you''ll recall about 4 years ago when SF came to Houston, SF made a remark about how the Logo had sat down with him and told him that he had a chance to be a great one. I've always wondered if he was just being nice or one day would try and acquire him.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If I had to guess I would say that Charlie Ward was more JVG than CD. But the length of the contract is the biggest questionmark.

15. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Add Deke, you see the whole picture. Accquiring Deke is also the logical sequence after sending out Cato.

Anyway, don't forget that ALL was possible just because TMac wanted to go to Rox, and we all know why. Good for TMac, wonderful for Rox.

16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You raise a good point RM. With Steve as our incosistant star, it was hard to build around him. Once we had more predictable players, it was easier to define, then fill in the gaps.

17. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Jeez...I hope that doesn't happen. The Grizzlies might actually get him to play unselfishly. I don't like facing them now....I would hate facing them with a well playing SF3.

18. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Surely I'm not the only one who would find it hilarious if Steve winds up suiting up for the Grizzlies after all?

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

20. disney

disney Member