1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should've the Rockets drafted Amare Stoudamire instead of Yao?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigermission1, Jan 11, 2003.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I am one of those priviliged people who have digital cable TV and have subscribed to watch other NBA teams in action along with the local channels. I have watched the Suns play so many times that I could not help but fall in love with whom I think is the next great forward in the NBA. I luv Yao too, dont get me wrong, it is just that I think that Amare has more upside to him than Yao does. This guy reminds me so much of Shawn Kemp in the prime of his career with the Sonics. I propose a deal, don't know if it might work or not but I think it is pretty even-handed: Trade Steve Francis & Yao Ming for Stephon Marbury & Amare Stoudamire. What do you guys out there think of this? Is it too crazy to even think of? Or would it be considered one day if we realize that Yao cannot get much better than he is now?

2. tigermission1

Did I spell Amare's last name correctly?

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Amare is a good player and a possible future all-star,but Yao is a very fine player with better fundamental moves on offense is a good passer and is a center which is more important than a power forward. Amare is physically stronger than Yao but Yao can get stronger too although I think Amare will always be stronger than him.Amare is more athletic than Yao but Yao is also a quick mover and mobile.
    I would not trade Yao Ming for Amare Stoudemire or Steve Francis for Stephon Marbury.
    Yao Ming also has a lot of upside in him and can get much better and he is already dangerous.

#3 saleem, Jan 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

This thread is a joke, right?

Anyway, the reason that Yao is and will be better than Amare is the fact that you cannot build a team around Stoudemire.

You CAN build a team around Yao.

Besides, if Houston drafted Amare, he wouldn't be playing right now.

Rudy is very conservative on playing rookies (such as the case in Boki). Yao is just special, not a fluke. He has skills that most rookies wouldn't have coming into the league because he has played in a professional league.

Granted the CBA isn't the NBA, but the rules are more closely related to the NBA than the NCAA, or high school-level play in Amare's case.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

No,

Stoudamire may be having a marginally better year in some peoples opinions, but remember this is only their rookie seasons. They both have great potential but Yao will easily end up having a better career just because great centers dont come around often.

KT

6. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

ha ha ha.......that was the funiest joke i ever heard !!!

ok..for your info...the last streak of games..amare didn't even score in double digits or rebound in double digits...yao ming didn't become all-star for nothing .ya know..and it's NOT because of those votes from china either...

7. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

If I needed a SG I wouldn't do it, if I needed a PG I would.

8. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

What are you talking about?

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yao is a franchise player. I dont see Amare capable carrying a team.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree that Marbury is a better point guard than Francis but I don't know if he would like to change to another team after his problems with the Wolves.

11. coolpet

coolpet Member

tell me who can shoot around 90% FG in 4 games? tell me who dominate over the best front line team spurs? Yao's stats doesn't look impressive lately because he has been given special treatement from rest of the teams, they play Yao with a plan. stoudmire doesn't even given any speical treatment yet.

12. carayip

carayip Member

NBA history tells us great centers win championships. Great PFs cannot win championships without the help of great centers. By this theory alone, Yao over Amare every time.

Plus Marbury = Francis with a bigger mouth and worse personality. That's why Francis is more popular and is voted in as All-Star starter and Marbury is not even top 10 in guards.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not sure why either team makes this trade, especially the Rockets.

The major difference between Yao Ming and Amare Stoudemire is that Yao Ming might provide the biggest mismatch in the NBA in another year or two. Even if Amare turns into the next Karl Malone he would not provide the same type of mismatch at power forward.

I fully expect Amare to be a stud for the next decade and a half but I still would not trade Yao Ming for him.

14. drapg

drapg Member

All-Star voting is a popularity contest. It is no way a judgement of overall skill or talent. Yao is more popular than Amare, both nationally and internationally.

15. drapg

drapg Member

Great centers come along very rarely.

Chamberlain, Russell, Abdul-Jabbar, Olajuwon, Robinson, Ewing, O'Neal.

Yao has the potential to join those ranks.

Stoudemire is an outstanding talent, yet talented power forwards are much easier to come by.

16. adrian

adrian Member

Don't believe the hype. Yao will reign the Dynasty for the next 15 years.

Adrian

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

if we drafted amare instead of yao, no one would know who amare is except for the fact that he was a number one pick. reason being? rudy would have him riding the pine and giving us BS quotes like, "he's very young and you have to realize that this would only be his first year in college. just think of him as next year's first round pick." typical rudy stuff.

18. tigermission1

I think it is a true mistake to judge a player's abilities by how many votes he gets in the All-Star voting. Yao is going to be a great player IF he stays healthy. However, Yao in his greatest prime would never be as dominant as Shaq is, and just because he is popular doesnot mean he is better. As for Francis vs. Marbury, I agree about the personality thing. But the way I see it is that Francis lacks exactly what Marbury has, and that is toughness and true motivation to prove people wrong. But Marbury does not lack anything that Francis has, except may be dunking every now and then. When I look at it that way, I seem to be favoring Marbury over Francis.

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

We have seen the prime of Shaq and his skill set does not impress. Other than physical presence, what does Shaq bring to the court that makes him able to be dominant?

We have <b>yet</b> to see the prime of Yao, but the glimpses so far are something to think about in terms of what his prime could be.

Court awareness
    <b>Yao</b>
    Shaq

FT Shooting
    <b>Yao</b>
    Shaq

Passing ability
    <b>Yao</b>
    Shaq

Physical Presence
    Yao
    <b>Shaq</b>

Open Floor Shooting Ability
    <b>Yao</b>
    Shaq

Finishing Around the Basket
    Yao
    <b>Shaq</b>

Star Treatment by Officials
    Yao
    <b>Shaq</b>

Rebounding
    Yao
    <b>Shaq</b>

Several of the categories that Shaq is ahead in, Yao can substantially close the gap. The categories that Yao is ahead in, Shaq is unlikely to make any progress in closing the gap.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Great post, Mango. I hope you are right.