1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Yao Ming Have Been Inducted Into The Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by celebrevida, Feb 7, 2017.

?

Is Yao Ming Worthy of the Basketball Hall of Fame?

1. He is worthy even as an NBA-only Player without doubt.

33 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. He is barely worthy as an NBA-only player but worthy as an International Player without doubt.

22 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. He is only worthy as an International Player but not as an NBA-only player.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. He is not worthy of the HoF in any capacity.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Yao Ming had a short but memorable career with the Houston Rockets. A great person on and off the court, he left a great impression on the fans and the league. Still many people question whether he is worthy of the Hall of Fame.

Now the thing to note is that it isn't the NBA Hall of Fame. Rather it is the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (BHoF) which has different divisions. The major ones are North American, International and Women. (The North American division is more or less the NBA division). Yao Ming was only voted into the BHoF from the International Committee so in effect he only went in as a "International Player".

So the question is whether Yao Ming is worthy of the BHoF and if so in what capacity?

IMHO, he is undoubtedly worthy as an "International Player". However if he has the exact same NBA career but was not an "International player" would he still be BHoF worthy as an NBA-only player?

My own opinion is that he is but barely. The person I compare him to are that made it to the BHoF is Ralph Sampson. If you think that Ralph Sampson deserve to be in the BHoF then Yao should too even as an NBA-only player. Otherwise neither should be in the BHoF in an NBA-only capacity as I can't see how you say "Yes" to Sampson but "No" to Yao based on NBA-only careers.

Still others will say he is an "International Player" only BHOFer. And still others will say he isn't worthy in any capacity.

So I made this poll to see what Rockets fans have to say.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What do you expect? LOL

The answer will be a unanimous YES and rightly so

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's already in the hall of fame.
    Why don't you make a new thread to see if the earth is round?

Sonny, Richie_Rich, J-Wolf and 2 others like this.
  5. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Is this real life...

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, no question.

7. AggieRocketFan96

You must have missed the memo, Yao's already in unless you're trying to start a Hall of Fame revocation movement. I'm visiting the Hall in Springfield next week, look forward to seeing Yao.s jersey there.

J.R. likes this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

kinda late to the party aren't we

9. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

I understand that he is already in the HoF as my OP already acknowledged. But just because someone is in the HoF doesn't mean people can't disagree. I mean we have tons of discussions about who should be in the HoF but isn't. So I don't see why one couldn't ask the opposite question concerning players that are already in the HoF but undeservingly.

Also in the case of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, there is still a question of the his qualifications as an international player or NBA-only player since there are two different selection committees. The poll question isn't just a Yes/No but also the degree and capacity to which he is worthy as well.

#9 celebrevida, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If Larry O' Brien is a HOF, why not Yao Ming. I'm quite sure if you asked the players when Yao Ming played, they would vote yes. I don't remember a big man at his size shoot technical free throws, to me that is an amazing feat.

11. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Yes - one of a kind player with a major impact on the game of basketball. The things he did at 7'6" are baffling. Career average of 19ppg while most guys his size struggle to be impactful rotation players.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Yes.

We're revisiting this now?

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

^Ah yes, the thread I finally put DD on ignore. Great thread solely for that decision.

As an aside, I changed my opinion since that thread. I think Yao should absolutely be in the hall of fame as a player. His playing career barely puts him in there but the guy is an icon.

The basketball hall of fame should be harder to get into. But hey, no real reason to complain. As the standards are now, Yao definitely deserves it.

T-Mac will probably be in there soon too.

I'm happy two Rockets are going to (likely) get inducted two years in a row.

Great for the Rockets organization.

15. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

No way T doesnt choose to go in as an Orlando Magic.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You must be living under a large rock.....

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Should OP have started this thread?

19. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

OP, I kinda see what you're trying to pose here but there's one small problem.

You're assuming the merits for North American 'division' HOF consideration are relegated to NBA careers. Truth is, NCAA is a major component of a players overall basketball resume.

This brings us to Magic Johnson who once said Ralph Sampson is quite possibly the greatest collegiate basketball player of all-time. Sampson, while at Virginia, thoroughly dominated the competition on his way to three (3) National College Player of the Year honors. He also walked away with some Wooden Awards, if memory serves.

In short, Sampson was inducted for his other-worldly NCAA achievements, as well as his NBA accomplishments. Let's not forget, as an NBA rookie, Sampson averaged 21 ppg / 11 rpg earning him his first All-Star selection and NBA Rookie of the Year honors. He was a rare athletic specimen with extremely sound basketball foundations. Four years of D1 coaching and ACC competition will do that (see Duncan, Tim).

At 7'4", Sampson was a combination of Anthony Davis + Kevin Garnett + Kareem Abdul Jabbar, with exceptional ball-handling , explosiveness, quickness, and open court awareness. The league had never seen anything like him, and IMO, likely won't ever again. Injures robbed him of championships and all-time legend (dare I say, Rushmore) status.

If you want to compare Yao's and Sampson's path to HOF induction, or even weigh their merits, that's fine. Just don't assume college careers aren't factored into the HOF committee's selection process. Sampson was already a basketball legend before he ever stepped foot on an NBA practice court.

He was that special.

20. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

I kinda wondered too